Reviews for American Soldier
chicanerysmile chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
I thought over it a second and then it made me laugh; was that completely inappropiate? Sorry if it was. Great writing as usual. Sad and beautiful and amazing and all those words that people - or me, I guess - say when they can't describe how good things are.
AboveTheSalt chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
this shouldn't have been a haiku. it's too flighty, too simplistic. no punch. the semicolon is also unnecessary - it's just like a sentence. i suggest expanding on this idea and incorporating some of your summary into a longer poem.
Decollage chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
So true.

The simplicity here makes the words all the more powerful.
Mr. Arnold chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
Yet again this could be looking very deep into this but I get the feeling that it implies they left with light hearts. (kind of like all those poor canadians who thought the great war was going to be like a 6 to 8 week vacation with some fighting here and there) So when he/she left they talked about the great tan they will get keeping there minds of the realities, such realities that the americans have tried to play down and returns unfulfilled from fighting a pointless war... yet again a whole lot from a few words, if you intended this then I will be quite surprised (your poems provide a good stimulant for interpretive thought) keep up the good work then
Fabian Cortez chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
So clearly indicative of the futility of it all.

Well Done

KEEP WRITING!

F.C
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
sad and beautiful
poetic abortion chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
I love how scathing, taunting it is and haunting all at once. the 'body bags' lin just breaks my heart and makes my heart beat painful pieces of itself. beautiful haiku, gorgeous last line too. . .true.

* noelle
D L Dzioba chapter 1 . 12/8/2005
Haiku are easy but this one is superficial. If you want to write about Soldiers coming home in body bags, why not do a poem that can give more feeling.
FELICIA-SPENCER chapter 1 . 12/8/2005
Nicely done. I enjoyed reading this, and the subject at hand is so true. I hate that these young men die over trivial things, because that's what it all boils down to. This poem had beautiful imagery, with enough power behind it's words to shock even the toughest of hearts. Brilliant.
twenty-second seduction chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
perfection in three 're amazing.
beti213 chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
*feels shrapnel whizzing past her ear*that's powerful. and short. a rare combination-so biting and injured... brilliant.
Lady Luck 13 chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
WOW!even though its short it has a lot of meaning well done! much love Lady Luck 13 p.s thanks for ur review xoxo
in theory chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
Not being American, I don't grasp the reference to the tan thing. Well I do, but not in that way, cus us Brits are all pickled from too much wind and rain and complaining. Nice haiku, perfect flow as always. :) shalom.
sunday night sky chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
this poem nearly moved me to tears. beautiful work.
KwazyKandyPie chapter 1 . 12/7/2005