Reviews for Nobody's Friend
CaFFy chapter 1 . 12/20/2005
) I'd prefer to be alone. There's no one there just to bother me.
Winterbridge chapter 1 . 12/12/2005
Oh. My. GOD.

I...I...I...I don't know how to start telling you how much I loved it. It's beautiful, Nora. It really, really is. And you're beautiful, because nothing like this could EVER come out of a person who isn't. Nora, I love you. I'm sending you as many hugs as will make my arms get a nice warm ache and help you smile. Kisses too, if you like them. And Blake (you know him, right?) sends you a really, really long, warm, tight hug because he loves you so very much. He thinks you're the most fabulous person that ever lived, and he's DEFINITELY bi because of you (I just gave something away, didn't I?). I just wish I could really be there for you in Florida (though I'd probably piss you off to no end) and give you REAL hugs. Bad days are terrible, my God. And crying in public always makes me feel kind of stripped and empty later on, and not in a good way. Now I feel like an absolutely selfish asshole for being miserable about my own cold when you're having such a bad day.

So this is the story that made your mother sad? I can see why, but it's sad in a way that's meant to be shared with everybody. And I love you more for doing just that. This story is perfect. Utterly perfect. It's like the girl's soul is talking to us, but at the same time we feel that her soul isn't with her body. That it got wiped away after so many years of being all alone. You make us really feel what loneliness can do. That if you're human you can't just live on nothing. And if you're lonely, your body scrapes away on the little quivering light that's your soul...until there really is nothing left. Nothing.

I love the way you make us feel that. How the girl's voice sounds so destitute without screaming it out. It doesn't say, "Look! Can you not see how LONELY I am? Can you SEE what you've DONE to me?" It just says, "This is what my life was." And our minds say, 'This is what the world did to her. And we are part of that world.' I feel so guilty about the fact that maybe, just maybe, I was one of those people who passed by with blank eyes, didn't focus. Thinking I was so goddamned smart as to know everybody and wonder about the strange little name that came up. Too busy laughing in my own life to realize that somewhere, the pen was writing a different story for someone else.

I had three favorite images in this story.

One was the part where the girl describes graduation day. It makes you realize that what you see while you're living isn't about your eyes. It's about what your soul can see. What's in your soul. And when you're lonely and have nothing, nothingness is all you see. I also loved how you made the girl describe other students reading the pamphlet, how you made us really see the brief falter because that could have been any one of us.

The second is how the girl describes her Tuesday trips to the restaurant. How she orders the same thing, sits at the same table, knows the smiling waiter's name. Always watches. She does the same things not so much because she wants to, but because she hopes that maybe, just maybe, that might help someone remember. Even if it's only, "You know, the odd girl who always orders the same dish? Sit's at the same table? Comes every Tuesday, I think." It makes me think how those little things I always see when I go outside might really be a plea for SOMEthing. ANYthing. Anything but nothingness.

And the third, of course, is the last scene, with the blood soaking into the carpet. That chilled me, even stopped my crying (because I did cry...for a long time) a minute, but it made me cry harder after that little minute.

My favorite sentences are, "But you have to say hello first before you can say goodbye." and "Who spilled red paint all over the carpet?" Especially the first one, though the second one is the most PERFECT ending I have ever, ever read in all the tight loneliness and uncaring it conveys. But the first one really makes you realize things. That the people we drove to loneliness like that will want even the careless something it takes to be able to say goodbye. But for the girl, there was nobody. Nobody even to say goodbye to when she was going to make herself gone forever. Just her roommate, maybe, remarking about red paint a long, long time after she left, when it was really everything that the girl's life ever was staining the carpet. Everything that the world ever gave to that girl.

And what made me cry more was this sudden thought that came to me. What if, just what if, what if all the people who wore down their souls had dreams? Frightening dreams, funny dreams, beautiful dreams. I know if they did, only the frightening ones came true. And it's on the broken fragments of their beautiful dreams that we walk today...to be happy.

You've really made me think, and I know I'll always look closer after this and listen just a second more, no matter what I do. So thank you, Nora. Thank you for a beautiful present. Thank you for being here to write this when I never did anything good for you.

And Nora, I'll always, always love you. (It sounds so right, saying that to you.) Always.

Dana, Bearer of Hugs, Kisses, and Much Love

P.S. I meant to review Saturday Morning Cartoons and Midnight Reruns after this. But I... Would you hate me very much if I reviewed later? I'm not sure I could do justice to those stories after feeling something like Nobody's Friend. It just doesn't feel right, somehow. I'm so sorry about that. Please forgive me?
Skyla Moon chapter 1 . 12/11/2005
*Hug.*

That is a very good story, if sad, but hey, happy stories aren't all that fun, anyway. Good job!
Collar de Espinas chapter 1 . 12/11/2005
Sweetheart, you know how I feel about this fic...

You're so wonderfully talented- this short fic was even more proof than SMC and MR-R. You really, really hit home with this one- it just makes me feel so sad that anyone could feel this awful.

I'm sending you all the hugs in the world- you know where to find me if you ever want more. *huggles*
Inherent chapter 1 . 12/11/2005
Wow, this was amazing. There's no other word for it. The ending was what stuck the most. You really know how to have an affect on a reader. And it's weird since SMC is so happy. It's really shocking when a writer can do angst and humor really well. Oh, and *e-hug to the max*.
Venustas iaceo chapter 1 . 12/11/2005
*gives you like...500 bajillion hugs*. Yes. I created a bajillion just to hug you that many times. I actually liked this. In fact, I'm favoriting it.

I can't say I'm a nobody in that sense, because everyone knows me. They just don't like me.

I still really like this. And I love how you ended it. "Who spilled red paint all over the carpet?"
21 | « Prev Page 1 2