Reviews for City of Memory
Honor Bound chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
this is sad, but i liked it. the breaks in it i liked, but i dont know why. any way, good job.
karone-sakura chapter 1 . 4/3/2006
This one caught my eye. Very interesting how you wrote this. Sadly good memories tend to fade away faster then the bad ones. I can just feel what you felt when you wrote this. love it hon.
Hate In The Form Of Passion chapter 1 . 2/22/2006
Oh God! I love this one! LOVE IT! I know I say that I love all of your work or most. But this one I love more than any of them except for one! My second favorite. Beautiful job.
Needa S chapter 1 . 2/14/2006
Very nice, excellent write.
The Forgotten Cookie chapter 1 . 1/28/2006
You continue to amaze me by you works. I enjoyed this one especially well.
ginnyellen chapter 1 . 1/25/2006
We will all become a memory, each and everyone of us. We can become a memory as great as Shakespeare or as insignificant (to the world) as the janitor of my highschool or a mere student.

It is up to you how you want to be remembered.

Great poem. It seems to me that there's growth in each poem.

Hugs,

Ginnyellen
I Found Myself At 24 chapter 1 . 1/25/2006
*stares at the screen in awe*

Matt, I have NO idea where to begin. I know I've said it before, but this is your best piece yet! I just...wow...I am in total awe of how vivid and wonderful this is. I can picture you (well, my mind's "you") walking through a deserted playground, complete with a lone swing in the wind and everything and thinking back on what it was like to be there as a child and all.

Truly inspirational! Althought I'm in awe, I can't say that I'm at a loss for words because right now there are so many things fighting their way onto the keyboard that I can't type fast enough to keep up with them.

Hope you don't find me over analytical, but this poem deserves a stanza by stanza review! :)

1 - Liked the D-r-i-p in the first stanza. For once I really read it properly instead of just skimming like I usally do when a poet does something like this. Really made me slow down and pay attention. *kudos*

2 - Excellent imagery, as is your forte. No other way to put it.

3 - "Peddlers of lies stroll the alleys of my mind" is an excellent image as well. Absolutely amazing and original. I'm not sure I like the idea of them clinging "like shit stuck to you shoe" though. :P That line made me stop and literally laugh out loud which rather ruined the flow. Don't get me wrong, the image is a great one but I'm just not sure it suits what I find to be a more serious tone in the rest of the poem. Perhaps you might want to rework this image in a future draft?

4 - Setting apart of "so I run" is very effective. And the imagery which follows is, as usual, amazing. I really like all the contrasts you made. "where cold sorrow pools in puddles" - very nice!

5 - Setting apart of "this is where I go to mourn" is also a great stylistic trick...you could actually go on from "so I run" and come here. Gah, I've been hanging out in English class to much! lol I really liked your description that follows this. Definitely the best part of the poem, in my mind. I can't even begin to explain how much I love this stanza! So alive, so real, so much to love! :)

6 - "This is when I realize" is set apart again really well...and if you keep on reading "I know that I will have to return" it keeps up with what I said before, the poem could keep on flowing! Either you're naturally brilliant (which I've come to think you are) or you did this on purpose and are creating a wonderful effect by it! The stanza between about the child's laughter is again beautiful. A rather overused idea sometimes, but you've made it original and enjoyable.

(Don't worry, I'm almost done spamming you now! lol)

7 - repetition of retracing - love it! Excellent stanza.

8 - Perfect ending. Brings everything to a nice round close. Philosophical and yet not cliche. *applause*

Ahem, yes, so now that I'm done writing the longest review in the history of FP, I just wanted to say again that I loved this one so much! I am going to try and add it to my faves *hopefully there's space* and I am definitely printing it out and giving it a prime page in the notebook of my fave FP poems I'm making. Your poems dominated the last volume and you're the first to be put in my second.

Okay, I'm shutting up now. Excellent work! :)
chaos called creation chapter 1 . 1/24/2006
Such a nice flow to this. Keep up the good work
Liebchen Rose chapter 1 . 1/24/2006
This makes me cry...so well written and sad.