Reviews for Satire Cartoons: Freedom of Speech?
rollinby chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
HEAR HEAR !

aSALAMUALALIKUM! tHAT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I am 17 years old and I definitely cannot write as well as you do ! Mashallah ! keep it up!

absolutely brilliant !
Cerulean San chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
Assalamu Alaikum and, Awesome

What bugs me is that a museum in the West took down a painting that was depicting jesus and his desciples horribly, and they said "This is not cencorship, but respecting the people of the faith"

8 hypocrites.
scenerocker chapter 1 . 11/4/2008
When I read this poem, I felt like I was reading something I wrote. God, those cartoons are the worst. Muslims didnt over react. WE didnt over react. I live in Egypt and this was a big deal over here and I just hate the way everyone's treating muslims.. Yea sure some muslims are terrorist that doesnt mean all of us are. Here's an example, some people in the states are theives, rapists, murders(i'm not say egypt doesnt have those) then what... ALL americans are like that...

And the fabrication of Quran. They are basically going to ruin it. Is that Danish cartoonist so jealous of Muslims and hates the unity it brings with it that he want to make everyone else hate? My dad has worked all over the world!

whether its with gays, lesbians or whatever... Muslims don't mind them if they dont harm them.. Thats it..but that doesnt mean we approve.. Islam is all about freedom of speech... Try reading the Quran(for people who are not muslims) and it'll bring tears to yours.

P.S. I'm saying this and I'm not a religious person at all...

I'm only 15..
CRaZy-OdIN chapter 1 . 8/15/2006
A really powerful poem, and I totally agree with the message. Not just in this circumstance of the cartoon, but freedom of speach in general. It is not a right to abuse, or mame anyone or anything. Freedom of speach is both a dangerous and wonderful thing, a double edged sword if you will. It is essential for a society to be free and just, but there will always be people who abuse it. Really good peice. Keep it up x
sealednectar chapter 1 . 2/19/2006
A very good poem; I agree. I also saw 'Gay Muslims'-a contradiction in itself, and also didn't like the fact that they pick and choose whatever suits them from the Quran; is that even allowed? I don't think so.

I dont agree with the violent protests, it just gives us a bad name all over again. The protest in Trafalgar Square was peaceful though, that's how it's meant to be done. Anyway, the cartoons were very disrespectful and i'm rather proud of the instant reaction from the muslim community-it shows that we're not a door mat.
Stine chapter 1 . 2/15/2006
I completly disagree with what you write. Freedom of speech and expression is a human right and very important. Muslims have overreacted. Come on, it's just cartoons! You take yourselves to seriously. I am a Christian and when I see a satire of Jesus, or the Queen of my county, I just laugh, as do most others. Burning down embassies and threatning Danes and forcing them out of countries because of 12 cartoons, isn't that violence? Isn't that what Muslims have done? YES!
Cedric Quilfeather chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
I am glad that you do not apologize here for what you have said, because you do not owe an apology. Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people, as it has been said, and those prejudiced, blind fools who think it's right to derail someone else's convictions and beliefs and continue to be imperfect in their own right have no basis for saying the things they do. I agree with you strongly on most every point you made.

Oh, and as for your poem, check your commas. Some of them seem a little out of place. Otherwise, I liked it very much.

_ Keep your pencils sharp and your inkwell flowing!
Arichos chapter 1 . 2/8/2006
i understand why people are pissed off about the cartoons, and i understand your point of view completley. If anyone is offended by this poem, their fucking stupid. Your a great poet, and i love how your putting your own personal thoughts into this
gitana chapter 1 . 2/7/2006
Ahh... a poem I can sink my teeth into. First of all, I commend you heartily-and you shouldn't have to apologize if you offend someone. You've done nothing but express yourself; if that bothers them, well then obviously it's their own problem.

I'll admit, I know regrettably little about the niceties of the Muslim religion, but I've had tons of arguments with my uber-Christian friends about homosexuality. And again, I must applaud you-your acceptance of something you don't particularly like is very mature. Brava!

I really do sympathize with you, as far as the attacks on your religion go. It's a shame that people are so immature these days. Just because a few Islamic terrorists wreaked a little havoc, all Muslims are now bad? I just don't understand that reasoning. The cartoons were also very ill thought out-I understand that that's what political cartoonists do for a living, but STILL. Am I right in saying that it's against your religion to depict the Prophet? If not, I'm sorry... I'm sure I heard that somewhere... but knowing that, how could those people be so disrespectful?

It's a hard thing to balance. Does free speech take priority, or respect? Respecting everyone all the time, and consistently avoiding offense is impossible... but that's no reason to just throw up your hands and say, "What the hell. Can't work around it, might as well plow it down!"

*Shakes head.* Well, anyway... well-written, most definitely! Again, applause!

tHG
Aquafied chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
you know, i was thinking about that earlier and you do have a point, that is wrong, they should critize it. but then again, all religious are harrassed and ridiculed by someone, is wonderful you feel so strongly about your religion, and i think you are right to feel angry, but i just cant relate too well, because i dont take religion as a top you think of someone made a cartoon about god that was bad it would get so much media? i have no idea really, but i am sure there have been many. no one should be that cruel to do that but they do have the freedom of speech, it works well in both ways. you wouldnt be able to write this and put out your opinions without it, so you have to embrace both sides of the opposition with you kind of threw me off with comparing sexuality with religion, that is just a hot button issue with me. i really dislike when people start saying how wrong this or that is because of what a religious book/writing said. it just makes me think how do they really know who wrote it and such? but i dont want to get into that, it is a pointless arguement. but i am glad you are standing up for yourself but freedom of speech still stands.
SayIt'sWrong chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
Sadly true. Brilliant and powerful piece. Well done hun! Thanks for ur review on 'assume nothing'! V x
Tecna chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
What a way to get a point across, you go girl! I know what you mean and how you feel, it's really heartbreaking seeing what all this stuff is going on. Also 'freedom of speech' and all that crap, it's just pathetic and using the Koran for the wrong purposes, it's just disgusting, they don't know the reality behind the verses... it's really and trully... something! Lol... but there is the point that some are going to the extreme to defend Islam... but I know how you feel, it's not 'freedom of speech' but as much as violating the Islamic culture!
just a teardrop chapter 1 . 2/3/2006
heya! i read your poem - its very good, gets the point across nicely. i understand what u mean. the person who started the whole thing was really stupid, its like he/she didn't think before drawing and publishing it. but, as a non-muslim, i hate the way that there are muslims protesting in a violent way - death threats and that. i know thats not a majority of muslims, but it just scares me to see how everyone (of every/no religion) is spiralling out of control and fighting against each other. im anti-war, so i hate all the , enough of my political work, and well explained in the AN. I hope you dont find this review offensive. it wasn't meant to be.