Reviews for Reading Sadness in Somerset
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 1/16/2007
This is really nice. It's an interesting idea, and the ending brings up all sorts of questions, yet leaves the reader going, "Aha," at the same time. The poem starts out beautifully, as well, with just a simple thing like notebooks on a floor said in such wonderful language. And I also LOVE the idea of loving something "more than morning plums and quiet sundays." That's a deep amount of love, because those things are pretty wonderful. I'm not sure how I feel about the blanket part, not the idea, but the end of it where you say, "wrapping you in green," because we already know that the blanket is green, you said that before. So maybe consider a different word there, describing the feel of the blanket or maybe just another word for "green." I love the idea of reading through a story this girl has written to discover what she's really like - clever. But yes, overall, nicely done. I say go for the reading, with just the minor change in the blanket section. Keep writing! :)
Nemonus chapter 1 . 2/21/2006
Aww, that's pretty. Awesome, realistic story, carrying rhythm. I like "/in between the metal spirals of two notebooks/labeled, Chemistry 206, and Biology 309."
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 1 . 2/14/2006
Ek. I love this. I absolutely love this! You're an astounding poet, you know that? I love this. It's like a story-and a picture-and a whole world of histories-all wrapped up in a few words that flow together like Monet and twilight.

I love the whole idea behind this poem. Hidden love, friendship, trying to search out another person's heart. This is so beautiful.
felicia13 chapter 1 . 2/7/2006
W . . . o . . . w . . . This is so cool! I love the ending, it really brings together the parallels of a story and the author's life. I love it, and I have decided to put you on my favs list! Aren't you special?

Thanks bunches for the lovely reviews for my anthology. I tried to create that setting, and by your words, I think I have succeded! Thanks again!

all my love,felicia
angie3838 chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
While I like the "peaks" in format of this poem, I have to question why the lines break at certain points. I think this would work lovely as a prose-poem, being that Joyce is a prose writer, and I think it would bring a kind of humbleness to this which escapes it in poem form.
Aquafied chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
i love , college. what a beauty so hard but wonderful.

the world is dangerous-brilliant.

the formating kind of reminds me of two hills
frayedlifeforce chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
wonderful. the imagery was great, and the description too, fantastic. i loved the kind of theme of the poem that you took on this. you write with such creativity.
just a teardrop chapter 1 . 2/5/2006
wow this is gorgeous! i know somerset well, so the title jumped out at me. i love the ending - lovely!
the naked civil servant chapter 1 . 2/5/2006
oh god! i LOVED the simple perfect description, it was like the words just slipped from your pen with and effortlessness for which i may be forced to behead you :P. loved the slant as well - it was really original - romance around romance and all that jazz. really enjoyed this, thank you.
crazy dog events chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
Wow. Gorgeous. I love the simple narrative- there are such beautiful things hidden inside.

It's going on my favourites list.