Reviews for Beauty is a Matter of Perception
the-foresight chapter 1 . 10/2/2006
That, was REALLY GOOD. I loved the whole feel to it, it was so elegant and the repetiveness was great. Just really great stuff.
WAH chapter 1 . 7/15/2006
I've always wanted to be a hat... :P

I hate it when it's raining and my sister won't let me walk in it without an umbrella... I mean it's just rain and its so fun getting wet...

I like how you've structured it!

Love Wah oxox
WyrdWolf chapter 1 . 5/7/2006
Felicia-vixen,

Once again you've owned my poetry...why are you so good? Maybe I should have given Drama a shot...

Your imagery is powerful! It slapped me! I especially liked how it went from 'deep and formal' to 'holy crap I'm late'. Yes, that's the best way I can put it...

Fav Line:

'and I am jealous

of the freedom of being a hat'. It made me laugh. Anything that makes me laugh is instantly loved.

TWIST poetry, eh? Is that an acronym? Never heard it before...

"You shall-" "Not reach the archon, we KNOW already! Goddess .. you'd think that they could say it even a LITTLE differently, but NO!"

That would have been awesome! ARRGH! I wish I'd met you earlier!

And, okay, perhaps the water jet was a bit much...

Who is Heloth! Argh! I thought you could read! Felicia-vixen...you disappoint me. *pouts* Heloth is a guardian...

I'd love to see your hair in that chamber...I'd take a picture...with a weird archaic camera.

Can't tell you about the little breaks! You'll have to read on to find out who.

Erun got served...and don't worry, I added the knives...you'll see. Morta was right, yeah...but she'll *slaps self* Be quiet, self!

Love your work!
With Rhyme and Reason chapter 1 . 2/16/2006
Yes, yes, okay. I definitely like this poem a lot more than I like most free verse, and a lot more than I like most of your other poetry (which you know, so there's no sense ranting on about the whole "people getting mad about mean reviews," speech).

At any rate, I think you have some marvelous imagery here. But there's a very interesting component to this that I have to point out (although it's incredibly obvious). The title of the poem-"Beauty is a Matter of Perception"-fits so perfectly with the content of the poem in this respect. I mean, I usually go through three or four titles before I actually name a poem, and even then I think my titles suck like... suckers.

Anyway, back to your imagery. The perception, yes, the perception. What is beauty? You see, I think our society places too many boundaries on the definition of beauty. We fence off "nature preserves" and put "beautiful animals" into zoos so they can't be marred by human interaction. I think that part of what you're accomplishing in this poem is forcing the reader into agreeing that beauty is not only a natural state-it's a manmade state as well. The lake of "God knows what," the "dirt-covered floor"-all fantastic images, portraying beauty in something man has so overtly tainted.

I also like how you, as the persona, let your mind wander in this poem. At first I thought the speaker was a cockroach (don't laugh at me!), but then I realized that might be the fifth-grade trick answer, and so I delved a little deeper. You seem to fit into places that no normal human (at least an average-sized, unflexible human) should be able to fit, like through a ladder, under someone's feet, etc. But here you are. So I took it as your mind wandering over all of these "beautiful" scenes. Perhaps this is a perversion of what you intended. Sincerest apologies, if it is.

I have to tell you that there is a major complaint I have with this poem. It's with a couple of particular lines, which you repeat a couple of times, and I'm not sure why. The first time I read them, I thought you were kidding, but then you repeat them: "and I am jealous / of the freedom of being a hat." I'm almost positive that I just "don't get it." I mean, what are you talking about? How is a hat free? If I wanted to hop into Metaphor-ville, I could say that the persona, as the "wandering mind" feels "captured" when it's "inside a hat." But dear God, it's almost midnight, and therefore too freaking late to go there.

One last thing, I promise, then I'll stop rudely flooding your comment page. You accidentally rhymed! Oh, no! I'm kidding. I think that at the point where you rhyme in this poem, it's one of those great free verse stumbles. Even though you may not know you're rhyming, you still do, simply because it's in a poet's soul to rhyme. The part I'm talking about is: "as I stand there alone / and a shrill tone." Wow. Great. For an unintentional rhyme, it's pretty damn good.

Again, I like this poem a lot, but I'm not completely in love with it. I'm trying to leave a well-balanced review, so let me know if this makes you want to jump off a building into a... lake of God knows what.

Nice job.
brokendreams21 chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
I liked this poem. The End. (Just kidding.) The feelings described in this was just...plain awesome. It was beautiful...in many ways that I can not even begin to pinpoint. Nice repetition and...really, really pretty. Fantastic job!

Lotta love,Katherine
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 2/7/2006
The tone and the voice of this comes across so well. This truly has a fluidity to it that keeps the rush-rush going, but I also enjoyed the stanza, beginning stanza, where you used the word "stop", twice to halt the flow as well as describe the action. This has a wonderful pacing to it through the formatting and development of the flow. Good work.
empathic life chapter 1 . 2/7/2006
I want this poem. I want to steal it and read it over and over again. It's beautiful, darling, really. I love it. A lot. The rhythym was so random, and it didn't rhyme, and it made no sense except to us exceptionally smart people (snort). This is art. Really, truly, breathtakingly, art. Yes. Well. That's all I have to say.