Reviews for Compass
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 3/24/2006
awesome format especially the beginning
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 3/12/2006
You know, it's like impossible to read your poetry just once.

[I built a compass out of elimination - / navigation (making my own choice) / to g.e.t o.u.t of discrimination] Love that the words rhyme, although they're presented in a very unorthodox way that keeps them from standing our as rhymes. But I'm glad you didn't put them all at the end of a line as most would do.

[(me and my taboo poetry.)] Your poetry is indeed taboo, in content AND style.

[russet eyes] I love that; it's a great color and yet I've never seen it used when describing a person's eyes. Heck, I rarely see it ever!

[deep and underneath it all.)] It's weird, I was just listening to No Doubt a few minutes ago and that song "Underneath It All."

[just watch as the / sun - the one in my mind - rose every morning / on sand burnt so dry it burrows into skin ] Great lines.

[ A face (put on hate) it grins - it wins - / too much of the time (though no - it spins)] I really like those lines.

[I can’t trace it. Replace it with something good. Deface it anew. / I built a compass out of frustration (underground railroad) / deportation.] And these lines, too.

[I travel, just to taste (peace!)] I like the ambiguity of the word "peace." It could be meant the way it means, as in actual peace ... and it could be seen as more of a "peace out!"

This is one of those pieces that I feel is beyond me. Half of the time I saw a map and thought I was receiving a geography lesson, then 3/4th's through it switches gears into racism. I really don't know what I read if I tell you the truth. I still liked it, though.

Your style is especially heavy in this piece; at times it can even be distracting, but not really in a bad way. It just seems to have so many odds and ends that we want to read and read and read until we can connect them all.

Nice job. Good poem.
DaggerPen chapter 1 . 3/1/2006
Woah. Very, very good. Keep on writing, or you will dissapoint many poetry fans.
Paramour-ing chapter 1 . 3/1/2006
Juliegirl: you know what I want to say.
SarahJaneDrkAngl05 chapter 1 . 2/28/2006
wow this is good! keep up the good work!

SarahJane
are you from mejico chapter 1 . 2/26/2006
Whenever I read poetry that makes me feel-feel and is so good I feel jealous. I'm feeling jealous right now. The last lines were an awesome ending. I'm going to not finsh writing this because I see myself saying something mean and jealous.
Roaine the Great chapter 1 . 2/26/2006
Wow...every time I read a poem of yours, I'm left speechless. (Yes, I read them, though I don't always review! And a friend of mine forced me to read something, which turned out to be one of your poems...the one with Alito in it. That was simply amazing.)You are one of those authors who will always have people analyzing your writing, marveling at how your mind works. I only wish we could all write with the grace and confidence that you do. You never cease to amaze me. Just reading your work inspires me to write outside of my familiar "comfort zone". Wow. Just...wow.
method acting chapter 1 . 2/25/2006
Your formatting (again) is just so typically your style. Very nice. The spaces and italics and periods really just...make you want to see some deeper value in whatever the subject may be. Love that. Anyways, I feel like in this piece you were aiming for one thing, and you definatly hit it...but some of the descriptions seemed to be jumping everywhere. While still staying on the same bit. It was very low key, just something I sensed. Maybe you were writing about one thing and thinking about another, and those thoughts shone through even though your topic and format were as clear as ever. I love the metaphor. Charming, political, compelling. It was...political, undenialby (I hope) but...it seemed like you were speaking from your own accord. In any case, very nice.
breezy nostrils chapter 1 . 2/25/2006
wow love the metaphor. it was really impacting and beautifully conveyed. nice job!
account not in use chapter 1 . 2/24/2006
it's the type of poem that would have people singing you paises at a slam.
MidnightStar005 chapter 1 . 2/24/2006
I love it!

xoxo
in theory chapter 1 . 2/24/2006
Oh dear I have to write another huge review. Just have to. The North thing again surfaces, I've seen this reappear so many times throughout the saga of your work. It's so symbolic, as well as flexible; it can be seen as homeward direction, unexplored territory, harsh environment, escape, oh so many things.

You put this in politics but it seems more like a life experience report, dramatised and stylised. (and the Aries, my father line...you're a Scorpio right? is it your dad who was/is Aries? that line confused me slightly) And I love the West/East part, it reminds me of what I rambled on about in that review for "Main" about the stages of life and the symolism of literal direction and how it could be applied to life stages. Who knows, I think I vaguely made sense if you skim over it maybe.I think I take the comment about it not being very political back (I'm about halfway through now) and it's definitely showing signs of your usual political I-dare-you-to-flame-me kinda style. It's so acidic, and tongue in cheek I just lap it up.

The last word is strange, it's usually how I end things and you seem to end it but not, there's an air of space left for interpretation. Like the reader is still spinning around trying to take some of this on board (it's very wild, the word choice is not even slightly straightforward, and totally best that way).

(and it's so bizarre tonight I had an idea for a poem vaguely involving stars and the night sky, it's to do with religion though not politics I think reading this has persuaded me to tackle it. Basically I was kinda thinking about the origins of religion, and then somehow work my crazy theory into it about how religion is all psychological and that people are believing in it for security or whatever, or as a way of explaining things. It's a little controversial I s'pose but that's the fun bit about not being a famous writer, no one really cares lol. I was kinda dreading writing about stars [yet again, it seems] but bleh it's too tasty to be ignored. And yeah, your comment about that word...I found that interesting, I use it deliberately instead of delicious...the sound is so much more exotic to me.) Peace, and thanks for your insightful comments last time I had fun looking at your interpretation of my dream, you take a fairly Freudian perspective and I've always been partial to his theories. Keep it up!

Jack