Reviews for Mea Culpa
SA Sepulveda chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Sometimes when I'm the mood to read something wonderful, I come here to read the first three chapters of this story that you have up.

It makes me sad to finish the third chapter every time, though, so it's kind of bittersweet. I love this tantalizing glimpse that you have put up, and it speaks through and through of honest-to-goodness Good Writing, from prose style, to historical faithfulness, to intriguing plot, and great characterization. I even tried Googling the story, in the hopes that you had it up elsewhere, but to no avail. Even though it's been years and years, and I don't come to Fictionpress much anymore, and even though I was pretty much a silent reader (I've changed my ways, honest! P), and even though you've probably moved on to bigger and better things (I hope!)...I have to ask with a little bit of hopefulness: will you finish this story? It's too promising to be left incomplete.

I hope you are still writing, in any case!

D

- Sofia
chocaholic92 chapter 3 . 2/6/2008
wow! I really like this story...its really interesting and nice so far. The diction is wonderful and your way of storytelling is very nice. It looks like it has been awhile since you updated...but you should update this story. It really seems like it will be great. so...update soon! thanks!
Cedric Quilfeather chapter 1 . 9/5/2006
While this tale does not at the outset seem to entertain the realm of high fantasy that I am so very wont to gravitate towards, there is a fullness of prose here that I really love, a superb feeling of tangibility that does not exist in any of your other narrations. Don't get me wrong; I love Feather & Stone and the world it builds, but here, undistracted with the weaving of myths and societies, you just dive into description and characterization that is very real-feeling. I would not say this is your BEST work, of course, only because all of your writing is superior, but it at least initially strikes me as very different from the rest of your works: and this difference is a good thing. I hope I've said that right; I don't mean that this writing is better than the others or worse than the others, it is grand and they are grand, but you're doing something disparate in the way you deal with the environment that really engrosses the reader - me, especially. I hate reading on the computer, and I usually print out FP stuff before reading it, but I was so into the story here that I didn't even think of it. Really, Emily, I am always impressed by how diversely you handle both your poetry and prose, masterful in either case.

By the by, I must tell you, there was this one time when I was in school, mayhaps third grade, and told the teacher I was sick and needed to go to the nurse's office. She kept telling me to wait, just wait, and I did, and when for the fourth time I turned to demand permission to leave, I opened my mouth . . . And proceeded to empty the remaining contents of breakfast and lunch onto her shoes. So, I kind of know how Lottie feels! xD
Masala chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
Love the story, especially your portrayal of , please continue soon.
Salt and Vinegar Pringles chapter 3 . 6/1/2006
Wow. This was an amazing beginning to the story. It sounds so sad and romantic! I can't wait to read more when you've updated! Excellent story.
occludedFRONT chapter 3 . 5/24/2006
Quite a piece of work insofar as you've gone.

"Too soon, though, my witless nurse missed me, and came out into the hall where I was cavorting like a young kitten, breathless and overjoyed. Even the act of running, which I had so despised before, brought my joy—but the expression on the maid’s face brought only dismay." - Hehe. The image it invoked of Charlotte's face filled me with pure mirth.

"..her eyes as opaque as blue tile" & "..like dew to a leaf at dawn.." - that's what I'm talking about.

Aww, poor Charlotte! She just gets owned by her nurse and the Dr. thinks she's still sick!

Enthralling and painted with your own unique palette. Wonderful!

A champion and a scholar.
occludedFRONT chapter 2 . 5/24/2006
Charlotte's dream was wondrous! Incredibly vivid and had a colour about it, that's rarely seen.

The Canopy Demon was such a original touch. You do so well to capture the fantasies of a child's mind on page.

"..and the demon slunk away, cheated of its prey by a bedtime story" - that was truly gorgeous.

When Mary said: "Ye're still weak kitten" I lost it! The Irish are so humorous!

It's all so-so, dear. *Reads on*
occludedFRONT chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
Quite a delicate() beginning. But young girls are as such.

I found the images wonderfully stroked and constructed. Almost crystal clear in image: especially your description of the rain. I've always had an affinity with the rain and the cold, so you won points with me there _

She was quite deep for a 9 year old, but I guess when we're older describing our youth, we always seem so much more intelligent.

Just some constructive-critisism (and it's not harsh) Whenever you come across a 'road'/path that twists and turns into the distance - please, please - don't liken it to a 'great serpent' because it's painfully cliche like "eyes as wide as saucers". Keep to your creative metaphors (i.e. comparitive language) like "..help banish the misty broom that thickened in the vales between the hills" because I like them! They're original and similes and metaphors that are give a writer flare - and you're definitely capable of it.
zeusfluff chapter 3 . 5/6/2006
This is a great story so far! Keep up the great work, and please continue! ~zeusfluff~

PS. My best stories are; Peter and Emily, Shattered Into A Million Pieces: Carolyn's Story, and High School Is A Maze: Susan Mara's Story.

Thanks, ~zeusfluff~
Lethargy chapter 1 . 4/27/2006
Your story has been very interesting so far. It shows a lot of of promise, and I can't wait to read more. I like the title as well, not only because it's in Latin, but because it adds an air of mystery to the story. You start to wonder why the story is named "My Fault", and start wait anxiously for the next chapter

Keep up the great work .
Melika Elena chapter 3 . 4/22/2006
This story has a lot of potential. The language sounds very authentic and true to the time-good job. I can't wait to see where this goes.
evm chapter 3 . 4/19/2006
That's so sad that she was cooped up in her room for so long...I can hardly wait for the next chapter. So excited!
evm chapter 2 . 4/19/2006
So good. "I am afraid that, in the grand tradition of ladies growing gracefully ill, I am the black sheep." ::laughs::. And I really, really loved the dream sequences, they were beautiful beyond words.
evm chapter 1 . 4/19/2006
This is brilliant! You are an amazing writer- your style is complex and beautiful but it reads easily, each goregeous sentence flowing into the next with the ease of silk. And I absolutely love your characters, even at this early point in the story. I can't wait to read more of it. Much love!
virgo-valentina chapter 3 . 4/15/2006
this story is so mysterious. please please update! i really liked it and cant wait to see more~~!