Reviews for Court's Jewel

sweets555 chapter 42 . 6/28/2007
good job!
V de V chapter 42 . 6/20/2007
K! She updates! O.

Ah, a May Day masque. I see. You know May Day has phallic connotations? So that marriage deal makes sense. However, masques during this time period stemmed from the Carnival tradition, a time around Xmas or before Lent. But I am ruining the story with my historicity check. Ignore this.

Hm ... citrons .. yum

"'That’s settled, I’m sorry your wares are sub par but because you tried to pin your business short comings of me, I’m ..." You have an improper idiom here, dude.

I am so glad for the next chapter of CJ. Keep writing, daaling. It is coming along nicely. I am finally out of school as well, so perhaps I can update more frequently.

P.S.: If I may ask, why did you take me off your favorite authors list? It made me sad when I last went to my stats page. I hope I did not offend you in some way. So sorry if I did. Anyways, that shall be all. Ciao.
idream chapter 1 . 6/10/2007
I've just started reading this, but I loved the prologue. :D It's good.
sweets555 chapter 41 . 6/3/2007
for a while, i was incredibly confused. however, it has lessened a lot since the beginning. great job so far, cant wait for more!
antigonelives chapter 2 . 5/27/2007
This is highly intriguing so far! I would suggest, however, making the chapters longer, or else combining two short chapters.

I will definitely continue reading this - I haven't the time now, but on my next free day, expect more reviews! :)

Kira's Song
V de V chapter 41 . 5/23/2007
Did they even have clotheslines back then? Not sure to tell the truth though I doubt it.

Check out the wording of this sentence:

"Gustavo nodded to the lady of the cart who lay snoring on top of many pillows and led

Jedidah outside where laundry fluttering on clotheslines."

Oh, now I understand your thang for illegitimate children and complicated plots. Family vindettas. Nice.

Blue eyes? I like silvery-gray. I have fallen for my own character. I know I am beyond sick ... literary incest ... I think I should shut up ...

Check this out as well:

"For a long time there as silence and then he shook his head." You switched tenses on me! Now I love shifting tenses in prose but not in the same sentence!

Okay, okay I get the point. No need to be so emphatic:

"In all her fright, Jedidah was able to snort at the hilarity of his statement but only…only tears began to fall down her cheek."

She needs chocolate, dah!

All right. Wierd ending, but that is your trademark, so whatever.

Oh, and do you mind if I borrow an idea of yours? It comes from your poem about women and hothouse flowers and a little from Saint-Exupery. That man was a genius. Hope so. I just thought I should ask first so as not to have another harpy on my digital head, not that you would do that ... but some crazy individual may ... So, thanks.
V de V chapter 39 . 4/12/2007
You skipped a word. If I were not so tired, I would copy the sentence here. But it appears near the end and is the first sentence of a paragraph. I think you should insert "on", just because people normally say, "fell to/on the ground."

Oil burners, huh? Sorry I could not be of much help there. I make it a rule to mostly describe things which are pretty easy to look up, like fashion. Heating systems are not, however. Hahaha.

Yeah, people like WW II stuff. I am not sure why. I mean, it was not a particularly happy time, but it is still very popular. Hm. I can not stand dark depressing stuff. We need more happiness in this otherwise bleak world of ours. Seriously, people need to smile more.

Updating? Oh god, I have to look up stuff on L'Africaine, a grand opera before I write chapter three. I must confess I have actually never gone to see an opera. Yeah, honestly. Not a single one. I have not seen a musical either-on stage and everything. (gasp!)But I have seen Cats, Phantom, Chicago, and Moulin Rouge on DVD, so it is all good. I am afraid that if I actually attend an opera, like at the Met or something, it will not come up to the grandiose and romantic expectations I would entertain about it, and that will be an ultra huge disappointment because I rather like my thing about going and sitting in private boxes and ... Well, you have been reading ...

And in case you are worried that I am just writing glorified garbage, please know I have attended the symphony, so I am not totally making things up. Besides, I get my scene ideas from Balzac and Dumas. For example, I am reading Camille at present, an awesome book, and there are some good opera scenes in there. In fact, Camille was the novel which inspired La Traviata which in turn inspired Pretty Woman; Camille itself was inspired by the real life story of Marie Duplessis, a courtesan of the French demimond. Probably more than you wanted to know. So ... Think what you want, but I combine research, literary tradition, and some native imagination to hopefully produce something worth reading.

Wow, this is a very bad review; I am just rambling on about myself. I liked this chapter. I hope our heroine can escape Vespera and every other unsavory character. I kind of feel sorry for her, you know? She needs to get out of Italy and go to France. I love France. If I am guessing your dating is somewhere around the first half of the sixteenth century, then she can head up to Paris and the court of Francis I. I know. Francis I of France. Very original and ultra corny. I did not name him though.

Yeah, and there she can do something with a hot page and then disguise as some long lost heiress of the Valois line. Perhaps it was some weirdo branch from the Habsburg's side that infiltrated into the households of Switzerland or, eve better, Savoy. She then marries into the Navarre line and next has to face the French Wars of Religion. And that leads into another opera, but I should really shut up. Ciao. I need to get a life.

V.V.

P.S.: Um, Signor Preori, charming? All right. I think this is another type of charming. Raoul has his charming and Signor Preori his different charming. Hahaha. Preori is swell though.
V de V chapter 38 . 4/2/2007
See, told you I would return. So, let us take a look.

"With no money of shelter, the girl glided through the streets in a daze, wonder what would happen next."

Maybe: "With no money nor shelter, the girl glided through the streets in a daze, wondering what would happen next." Pesky participles!

Okay, the "cat in heat" reference just rubbed me the wrong way. Bad imagery-and not on your part. You just got to remember I created the Turkish Angora, so ... You know.

"Humid as it was tense, Jedidah took a handkerchief from her skirt pocket and mopped her brow." This is a misplaced modifyer. What is "Humid as it was tense" supposed to be describing, the day or Jedidah? I am not sure; you will have to do some deep soul-searching and fix it as you see fit.

Um? Small, antiquated furnis. Right. I am on it. I can not think of it now. Sorry. I was doing research today on men's fashions during the time period of the Opera in colore series and lerned a lot about gauntlets and opera gloves and French cuffs, but the furnis will have to wait. Give me a while, and I will get back to you. Oh, and thanks for your promotional A/N. Rock on, dude! Ciao.
V de V chapter 37 . 4/2/2007
Sorry, K, I am right on it. (now)

"Sighing with apparent frustration, Flavia drew her person up to her full height and sniffed, “If all we’re going to do is stand around and gawp, I have ..." Misspelled?

Short but suspenseful. I am off to the next chapter.
V de V chapter 35 . 3/1/2007
Dark-haired men with dark eyes? More about that later. I like this chapter. Your writing has improved much from when you first started. Congrats. I know that is always good to hear. I only wish you could have provided more detail, but that is just me. Everyone knows I write lots of fluff and inessential description .. So whatever. Um, I am dead tired from staying up yesterday doing work, so I could not find any grammar mistakes. However, I would not recommend trusting my judgment. Hahaha. Keep going. Hopefully I may get around to Hetaira soon. I believe, however, my inspiration is waning for it.
V de V chapter 31 . 1/20/2007
Hello, K! Did you think I left you? Semester exams ... But I am back and like this chapter. One little thing. You have an errant "the" before your lead's name in the beginning. Read carefully. But nice. H in C is finally updated, and I am debating which Opus in Colore I want to write next-argent or purple.
Solirina chapter 10 . 1/19/2007
im confused...why would Jedidah go along in the party? i certainly would be fighting them tooth and nail if i was suddenly dragged away. and how exactly did she end up outside anyways?
Solirina chapter 1 . 1/19/2007
very interesting plot so far, i am hoping that it stays such. ;p good luck friend.
Hali chapter 30 . 12/27/2006
Things are getting interesting with Sal, eh? And can't wait for the masque part! Great chapter and keep up the good work!

P.s. I'd really appreciate it if you checked out my new story Two Faced.
38 | Page 1 .. Last Next »