Reviews for The Amazons
Pookin chapter 1 . 5/2/2006
Very well written, felt strong emotion from it. Keep up the good work.

Pookin, thanks for the review.
A Pin One chapter 1 . 4/5/2006
This is the best I've ever read to show the true strength I like to see.

Jesse
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 3/29/2006
interesting and very well written
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 3/25/2006
This encomposses so much of culture and societal mores. The idea of this and the questioning is remarkable. You develop the view points well. If you ever get a chance I would like your views on some of my poems, constructive criticism appreciated. Thanks, MD.
lymli chapter 1 . 3/22/2006
wow, it's nice, it's powerful...
account not in use chapter 1 . 3/21/2006
it's a sin to go against the grian and laugh in the face of what's becoming a stereotype, but you do it anyway and compel the rest of us to ocme with you-if we dare.
Chandra-Moon chapter 1 . 3/16/2006
This makes me think of African Women in National Geographic-so fierce and strong and close to the earth. Very interesting persepective of that, and the women warriors (did you ever take sticks when you were little and play warrior? I never played cowboys and Indians, but my "boyfriend" in kindergarden and I used to play warrior, although I'm not sure what type, in my backyard, climbing in the trees like monkeys. That's what this makes me think of :-P.)

Wonderful poem. And why are you so nice to me in your reviews? But I appreciate it.
Anex .B. Cougar chapter 1 . 3/14/2006
I've known many women in this life... (Living with them and working for them) I have No doubt that if you had to be you would be brave to protect those whom you love. Most of those that I've known would be and I believe that most women are inherently braver then men. Most men don't do things of a courageous nature, out of bravery, they do it out of a instinct to protect those they fell to be weaker than they are or those that they love. Though I will admit that women can be weaker physically, mentally they are much braver, and much stronger, when the need arises for them to be so. In the end you like the amazon would you could be just as brave as them.
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 3/14/2006
[The Amazon women / cut their right breasts off / in the name of femininity] Do they really? That's quite ... extreme. I saw a report on the news today (well, I didn't really see it, I just kind of heard a bit of it from the next room) and some serial killer guy was just arrested; he had kidnaped at least 3 women and had cut off their breasts. Yeah ... fun stuff ...

[Would I cut my flesh to be brave?] Being a "Christian" per se, but never feeling like a TRUE Christian, I often question myself and make myself feel unworthy. I don't go to church; I sin every day and I know I'm sinning when I'm sinning and I even ask God to just ignore me at the moment because I can't make myself stop-hm, I wonder how that might be intepreted? But yeah, the stories in the Bible where a person would be asked to sacrifice his/her own children to please God ... like, I know I could never even THINK about doing that. And even stuff just involving myself, I feel too greedy; I don't put God first. Heck, I don't even put Him second or third or fourth. Okay, anyways, I'm rambling ... my whole point is, this line from your poem made me think about all that kind of stuff; it was more of a spiritual question for me.

[Burry my gray-haired mother] *bury*

[Why can I not be brave / with both breasts bare?] I absolutely LOVE this ending; it totally made the poem.

This was quite an interesting-and refreshing-poem. It was nowhere near what I expected; I was quite pleasantly surprised to see something "different." Heck, this piece is even kind of "educational" in a way. I couldn't help put think back to "The Winter Nomads" when reading this, even though they're very, very, very different. I love the rhythm of this poem, too, which is something all your poems have, but I never really think to comment on. The rhythm was really noticable in this one, though, probably just because it's much shorter than some of your others.

Excellent poem, yet again (when do I never NOT say that?).
Fabian Cortez chapter 1 . 3/13/2006
The power of personality, & indeed the vulnerabilities all writers have within; comes through in their work.

Whether we like it or not it's stamped there for all to see. That is of course, if the emotions are there to begin with. If not, that will come through too.

Your work is unique and shows a whole array of your emotions from the subtle to the impactive and it always has.

This IS a brave and impressive piece with an exceptional ending.

VERY WELL DONE

KEEP WRITING!

F.C
in theory chapter 1 . 3/12/2006
Gah sorry I've not reviewed this (well I am doing now :P) but I saw it ages ago and almost did but my dad booted me off and it's been crazy this weekend (two african drumming shows and it's been snowing like crazy here all the roads blocked) and I got membership :-D

But besides that! Very bizarre subject, totally intriguing of course but it leaves me wondering. The last line is almost...intrusive, in a good way. It's sharp, the whole tone. It's not exactly fresh because it borrows the tone of your style, the slightly feminist (but not overbearing) slant. But it is sharp and tangy, not really got the brainpower for a thorough examination right now but I thought it was great :-)

peace, hope all is well.
Jezsh chapter 1 . 3/12/2006
provocative! I like the sense of one-ness ie: being a woman, but also how personal this seems to you. You kept the themes running clearly throughout without lapses and I thought this was very thought-provoking - not just pretty words (though I've nothing against those!). Very nice!
Dark Hammer Helm chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
Wow. Like something out of an Amazon Woman's life. Superb!

You've been reviewed by the darkness! _
MidnightStar005 chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
Beautiful!

xoxo
Carp chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
Why must I be one way and not another? Why can't I be both? Why is there a black and white but no grey inbetween?Those were the questions running through my head while reading this. Superb.