Reviews for Dear Morrissey, I Envy Your Optimism Love, Morgan
blurrylights chapter 1 . 4/24/2010
I know it's been years since you've written...but this was so good. The snapshots of his life were incredibly written and told just enough of what we wanted to know about him. Personally, I think a longer length would have ruined it for me. But it was perfect and heartbreaking and I loved it. :)
The Magnificent Fuschia chapter 1 . 7/15/2006
I liked this story, it was well-crafted and very tragic. Maybe this could be extended into more detail of each event in Morgan's life? I don't know: the length worked well, but the character intrigued me and I would have liked to have read more. Keep writing. You have a great talent.
Faded Soulfire chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
I like this. It has a depressing feeling, which is how I feel right now. The letters and the way that you've set it up makes it A-MAZING. This is so morbid that I think it leaves a stain on me.

Dear Chris, I Envy Your Writing Love, Andrea.
squiggle-line chapter 1 . 3/27/2006
Oh, wow.

I like how you begin with his half-sister's death and end with his own. All the letters have some sort of morbid and meaningful element to them...the broken first love, the unfulfilled reolutions, the reminder of a past life, and the formulaic welcome...they're like snapshots of his life.

Bit of confusion: "...and toss it in the nearest waste basket" You mean his sister's letter, right? For some reason, I kept on thinking it was his own reply that he threw in the trash can. Maybe make that a little clearer?

I really like how you give the dates for each of the letters. It provides a context for the letter and also makes the letters seem more...real?...

I also really liked how you wove humor into the story, dark as it is. The resolutions paragraph made me laugh so hard that I almost hoped that the story would have a happy ending. I got kinda confused by "There were a total of eleven resolutions on there. He had made three." I didn't understand that all the resolutions on the list weren't his until much later in the paragraph. Maybe clarify that part too? Also, isn't Lent usually capitalized? (Yeah, I know I'm being picky-sorry.) The comment about the vodka stain seems a little random. It makes perfect sense in relation to the ending, but no other stains are mentioned on the letters.

Nice touch naming him Mr. Rogers and welcoming him to the neighborhood! "He had left [her's] at their old apartment"? "He kept [in] touch with no one"?

"The paper was bright from birth" Nice contrast of birth and death. Strong ending.

This is an amazing piece.
TechEmpath1 chapter 1 . 3/26/2006
You've got to write some of the best depressing stuff I've ever read.

You're a wonderful writer and feelings are easily conveyed through your writings. Keep up the excellent work.