Reviews for Cell Phones & Driving
C Shot chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
In the great Republic of Minnesota, driving with a cell phone is a misdameanor if you are under the age of 18. I seriously doubt 4 out of every 5 car accidents result from a cell phone.. I mean, theres drunk drivers, deer, icy roads (especially here), all kinds of weather... just from chatting up with my friends and my own personal experiences Ive only found one person, out of the 20 accidents and minor bumps, that was resulted of a cellular mishap.

As for your Jim Prince, Im sure we kind find something just as stupid.. but not as easy to pick on for a death to a car crash. Cell phones are just easy targets, because almost everyone has one and just about everyone is guilty of using it while driving.

However, without a radio in my car and my girlfriend that lives an hour away. I best be talking, or I'll be nappin' on the drive.

Of course, if you really wanted to save lives of drivers. Just try banning past ten. Since statistically one out of every five drivers are drunk past ten, a good number are too impared by exhaustion to be driving and so forth.

All in all, a descently written article. The content I can challenge, but I doubt I'd be able to change your opinion. If you feel like responding back, just email me.

Later,-Curtis
Diana Shore chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
This was fairly well written and researched; however, this persuasive essay didn't get me to think twice about using a cell phone while driving.

"Also, 39 of all people who purchase cell phones have this kind of application in mind." 39? Did you intend to put 39 percent?

"In fact, according to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles there is a 4 times greater change of having an accident while using a cell phone than when not using a cell phone. This means that if this is an accurate estimate based on real data, then approximately 4 out of every 5 car collisions has something to do with a cell phone." Two things here: 1.) a 4 times greater chance - not "change". 2.) How does the 'chance' of having an accident quadrupling (is that a word?) due to cell phone use compute to 4 out of every 5 collisions being caused by a person on a cell phone? I'm no math wizare, but there just seems to be something fundatmentally wrong with that equation.

"last year they lost Jim Prince due to a teen driving while text messaging" Here's where you loose your argument on cell phones being 'bad'. A lot of people will look at that sentence and think, "Well, that explains it. It was a teenage driver that was the problem, not the cell phone!"

Besides, while you're at banning usage of items while driving, why not throw in mascara, books, maps, newspapers, radio dials, cd and tape players, laptops and mp3 players. Then top it all off with outlawing any conversations with any and all passengers.

Where did you get most of your facts? Was all the information obtained from the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles and The Insider, or did you utilize other sources as well?

Take care, D.