Reviews for Black Satellite
Bita-chan chapter 1 . 9/23/2006
I like the constant "black satellite" reference, it really pulled it all together. I loved it.
SarahJaneDrkAngl05 chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
this is really good! i love it! great work on it!

SarahJane
swayy chapter 1 . 5/5/2006
Juliet! You were a frequent reviewer of my last account, nice to have you back :)

Anyway. this is absolutely gorgeous. The imagry and wording is unbelivable. You write so beautifully. Even your comments are well written.
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
I like the way that you've blended specific abstracts with concrete concepts and emotions. The descriptions of the scenes and the dream-like imagery guides this well to the conclusion. Excellent work.
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
[The black satellite is buzzing (in my mind) / and I can’t unwind / my corkscrew arms from entanglement;] Thought I don't fully grasp the meaning behind some of the imagery, I still really like these lines.

[the estrangement] "Estrangement" is such a cool word; I love it for some reason. Perhaps because "Estranged" by Guns N Roses is one of my all time favorite songs.

[Just flip-flopping / tip (and table) - topping. / Never stopping] Nice rhyming.

[(we‘re nothing unless we‘re on the phone) / an everyday conversation] This reminds me of my (long distance) ex-girlfriend.

I'm not going to paste all the lines from the dream, but I really, really loved that part of the poem. It was very dream-like, as it should be, of course. I can almost imagine you having that dream for real. I especially loved your use of colors in those lines.

[and beaks bite down - blood everywhere) - / and I wake up with you beside me;] That's the perfect time to wake up; the crow's bite and then the blood would be the exact time a person would sit up in his/her bed.

[on top of me / and I let my mind drift away again.] I take "on top of me" as meaning sex, of course. The second line, though, reminds me of something one of my friends once told me. She's had sex a fair number of times, and she told me that she'll find herself daydreaming while the guy's ... you know ... She confessed to thinking about what she was going to watch that night on T.V. while the guy's going away on her. I thought that was crazy.

I like the first half of this poem especially, but the ending seemed a little weak; at least in comparison to most of your other poems.

This is also one of those poems that I just can't quite grasp. I don't really get the meaning behind the black satellite (although it is a cool image). I never DON'T like any of your poetry, because you're just an amazing poet. For as many times as you swing, you seem to hit the ball each and every time. Sometimes you hit it further than others, but you always hit it. This poem has so many great parts, but it isn't one of your poems that will stick in my mind for a long time like most of your poetry does. But that's probably because I feel this poem flew over my head.
run rabbit run chapter 1 . 4/9/2006
that was quite a rollercoaster of a read. neat feeling in it... really enjoyed it.

cheers!-rabbit
SeaVoi chapter 1 . 4/9/2006
this is a little different than your normal, but I like it.
Melanie Layugan chapter 1 . 4/9/2006
Nice.
nonpareil chapter 1 . 4/8/2006
I really love the concept of that poem, the whole comparison in general. Great description as well. I also like the thoughts you have in parentheses, like you were questioning yourself and really thinking about it even as you were writing it. It feels like it just flowed seamlessly from your mind to the page. Good job.
White Tea and Ginger chapter 1 . 4/8/2006
you've got such unique style.
Jason J. Ross chapter 1 . 4/7/2006
Thanks for your reviews. Coming from you, they mean a lot to me. You must be the hardest working poet in the collective. You read, write and review. Wow! Your work continues to amaze me.
reach4thesky chapter 1 . 4/7/2006
hey- first of all, thanks for the great reviews on my first couple of pieces up here.

I've been reading some of your work and I really like it. I love the randomimity of this piece. It's like it doesn't flow but at the same time it flows beautifully (it would be nice if I knew how to put my thoughts into words).

Great job, and thanks again for the reviews!
Pesadilla Mortal chapter 1 . 4/7/2006
This poem really touched me.

I love the repetition from beginning to end and the imagery is amazing.

You are an amazing author, keep it up.
mentallymigrated chapter 1 . 4/7/2006
Okay I just got your gargantuan review (yay) and want to respond but this is easier than loading up hotmail (and I promised you another gander at this, seeing as I didn't review it justice before). The wicker beetle-shell line is one of my favourite, I've been trying to incorporate 'wicker' into a line of my own without copying and it's been SO hard (I hope it's not too similar?) And the title, I chose it mostly because I had no idea of how it would sound to an American, but I see your point hehe. Saddles are a symbol (to me, at least) of control.

And yeah, I love to wrap people up in words and have conversations with them in verse. Other people's interpretations of my poems are often better than my own haha. (the irony). And I agree about our styles being totally polar, but I reckon there aren't many poets you could honestly say have a similar style (unless they had formatting similarities and etc.) I'm glad you liked Newsom, her voice is bizarre but it's the harp and words I find the most escape in. Some of her lyrics confuse me with their American-ness though.

Anyway, on to YOUR work! :-D

One more thing, your style definitely has evolved. It's one thing I always like to do with authors that interest me; look at their early work. And there's a definite change going on. One other tiny thing; I love implication in work, whether it's obvious or not. If it's there, it's there for me. (if you get me).

Promise I'll concentrate now. If I'm perfectly honest this doesn't quite have the pinch-me effect your other work does (oh and the one about you being trapped/silenced has completely slipped my mind too, but I remember it quite clearly [the actual words, not the title I mean]) The title lets you down to begin with, I mean that constructively but I dunno...a satellite is something of limited imagery anyway (to me) so maybe I'm biased.

'blind creation' makes me think of the possible randomness of God, whether he knew what he was doing or did everything spontaneously and in his (obvious) wisdom it turned out okay.

I don't get the tip (and table) topping line, is that a regional dialectish kinda thing? But I was reassured by the ' we're nothing if we're not on the phone', that's so directly *me*. (had a lot of long term relationships, bizarrely comforting in a way but let's not go there) I've just realised I use the word bizarre way too much.

Again, I get the impression this black satellite is either like, a wandering form of depression or just general confusion. It seems set, but you can't direct it. I dunno (I'm having a love affair with the word 'dirigible,' Newsom introduced me to it and I used it in my exam today that's how strangely into it I am at the momeny. The satellite reminds me of it)

The idea of being able to just walk away, be new and fresh is so appealing; would love it to work every time. It's a thought though. (I'm too emotinally disattached to really cut myself off, the irony is quite jawdropping if you think as wide as that). Who knows what kind of sense I'm making now.

And yeah, a comment you made just reoccured, I'd rather people go through line by line and bitch or flame or admit defeat or praise, it shows they study/give a shit.

"I pace on wakeful nights" is so much like me. You know I think one of the reasons we link up somehow (though our styles are totally opposite) is because we have weird similarities. The whole obsession with femininity, curve, style, inflection, implications, format, sexuality, romance, lack of it, directness, indirectness...it's all in the same box (though I just listed traits of a million other poets, but ah well; for now we can borrow 'em.)

I think I've exhausted myself m'dear, I prefer your previous to this but this is definitely worth a place in your evergrowing library of doors to strange and more beautiful levels of thought.

(i've had such a poetry binge today, working on one right now should be done by the morning, it's about fantasy and I'm deliberately not going to listen to Newsom or she'll creep into my head and I'll be writing about balloons and animals and all kinds. Might put some Latin on, go for the whole random rhythm thing. Ooh ooh and and and ! big excitement, I get a brand spanking new Djembe on Tue :D:D:D) besides the usual, semiweekly blurb, I think that's it. Hey I always wondered if you write poetry on request?

peace
Holly Rose E chapter 1 . 4/7/2006
...i wish i could write -half- as good as you. you have such an intense style, and nobody can deny you're talent. i love what you wrote about, it's so relatable and it leaves me aching from past relationships. it's such a delicate sadness, too.. great job.