Reviews for How Current Events Influenced the Movie Gattaca
Gattaca Jew chapter 1 . 7/26/2014
I am Jew and would like to donate my Right of Return to a Palestinian who did not meet the genetic requirement that I do
RedneckWoman chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
I just learned about the HGP in my biology class and we watched a movie which had clips of the movie Gattaca in it, and its an amazing work. Your peice I mean. I haven't seen nicly done!
Typewriter King chapter 1 . 4/8/2006
The lead character is actually, Vincent, he only impersonates Jerome. I was lucky enough to have just seen it a few hours ago, and it occurred to me that a simple way to avoid such an outcome would be to repeal mandatory insurance. Haven't fleshed out the pros or cons on that, but it would obviously remove most of the liabilities in hiring a Vincent, someone with a heart defect.

I also agree with something reviewer Storyjunkie said, that they'll encounter life, or to alter a military axiom, genetic planning wouldn't survive first contact with the friction of real advantages aren't actually predetermined, they're tested in the real-world laboratory, and advantages will be determined through natural selection rather than the clinic.

Of course, my argument assumes government stands back and allows only positive eugenics to take place, rather than the negative road of transhumanists in power sterilizing or aborting the unfit.

One minor nitpick I have about your essay is your tendency to portray gentics as strictly an American concern, while it is in fact a universal one. Even so, you wrote a great paper, and about a movie I just enjoyed, no less.
StoryJunkie chapter 1 . 4/8/2006
I...really didn't take the movie that seriously. After all, perfect people run into life after they are born. It doesn't really matter what the body is. What matters is the soul.

However, your essay was succinct and clear. I enjoyed reading it.