Reviews for Lauf
Let It Rain chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
I've often wondered about the different viewpoints of the German soldiers during the Holocaust. I think you did a wonderful job of exploring why someone with a conscious would comply with the Nazis. Great piece!
Grazia D chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
Excellent! I really don't know what else to say. This piece was terrific and I'm looking forward to reading more of your work once I get more time
Rebekka chapter 1 . 3/19/2007
Hallo.

Your story is very moving.

I think war is something, which is horrible and the Second World War was no exception. So many useless deaths- so many people dying for no reason.

However, I have something to critisize.

Some of your German is not right.

God damn it would rather mean something like "Gott, verdammt."

But more common in Germany is simply "Verdammter Mist!" or "Verdammt" which means about the same.

Weibchen isn't really the right word in that context. It's right that it isn't a nice word to use for a woman, but you would probably say "Weib". It's simply a matter of how it sounds.

And it doesn't mean "Das kann arrangiert warden" but "Das kann arrangiert werden".

"May God be with you" is "Möge Gott mit Ihnen sein."

"God protect my wife" is "Gott schütze meine Frau"

I hope you aren't offended because of my critic and hey- I wish I would be able to speak English as well as your Germans translations are. I don't want to know my mistakes in English (-;

That's a very good story and your translations aren't bad or something like that, but I simply wanted to tell you, that there are some mistakes.

But again: the story is good and I'd like to think that some things like that have perhaps happened. War is really something terrible and it leaves so much pain behind...

- Greetings from Germany,Rebecca
blue.eyes.can.be.deceiving chapter 1 . 3/16/2007
this probably sounds stupid to you.

but my eyes started to well up.

that was awesome,, and touching.

Both World Wars were horrible.

i'm glas you showed how bad they were.

GREAT!

Ashlyn : )
castaways and cutouts chapter 1 . 12/11/2006
Wow. Amazing.
Kohlomere chapter 1 . 12/10/2006
*Sigh* I guess the Greeks had it right with Pandora. When she let evil out of the box, hope came out too. That was profound, I don't know how I'll go to sleep at night for thinking of this. Good job, E.
katieeeeee chapter 1 . 11/20/2006
oh my goodness, that was a wonderful! You really have a way with words! The descriptions are wonderful and right on target, and I love the fact that Minka reminded Dieter so much of his own wife so much that he could't go through with killing her, Wonderful job!
Wings As Eagles chapter 1 . 10/8/2006
I've read this story before...but I don't think I reviewed. I LOVE it! I love esp. how the woman he saved reminded him Dieter of his own wife...its something I can really relate to ...rather than the typical "he-saves-her-cuz-he-likes-her" type of thing.

Good job girl!
Sykes chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
Wow... that's just... wow. That was very powerful, and although I wish the end had been drawn out a bit more, I thought it flowed together very well. It's such a humane story anyway, it's powerful in its own right, but you certainly helped it along with your prose. Although, I have to wonder, how did everything turn out for Minka, Gideon, and Dieter?
funnyflower chapter 1 . 4/16/2006
um...quite a good story I must say. The only problem I really had was that I didnt know the German. If their was translation that would be fantastic.
Cora chapter 1 . 4/13/2006
Okay, first of all, you REALLY need to translate the German. It's only partially comprehensible at best. Second, this is pretty good. However, it's rather long-winded. I was fine at the beginning, got bored in the middle, and liked the end. You should definitely condense the beginning and middle and extend the last part. Second, I think you could add more suspense which would make it more dramatic, more effective. I don't really know who this soldier is. To me, he's just an SS person who'd having issues with his conscience. Develop him more. While I like what you've done so far with this piece on a psychological level, you can certainly go even deeper.
Luthien and Tari chapter 1 . 4/12/2006
Good story. That's cool, that that actually happened. I knew they weren't all evil!

I don't know german. I kind of guessed what the last words meant, but I'm not sure. Perhaps you could provide a translation?
Angelic Brunette Hermione chapter 1 . 4/12/2006
This is an awesome story! I was touched by the courage of Minka, and Dieter's change of heart. I'm like it if you would write a sibling sotry telling about Minka's life.

Best, A.B.H.