Reviews for How To Write A Fight Scene
Burnt Bread chapter 3 . 4/24/2006
I just typed a longass review and then my computer froze. So, the short version.

“Erg! Yai! Argh! Ah! Shit!" Sounds promising when strung together. I shall steal this and run away cackling.

This chapter was very good in that it showed the many levels of fighting - the verbal, the physical, and the thought. I thought that introducing the fight this way was very clever and I dare say intentional? It was also funny at places cause I kept imagining old samurai fight scenes and applying it to your chapter. A spoon full of humor makes the medicine go down.

If you want ideas for future chapters, you could possibly have a look at Jave Harron who wrote something on martial arts, though I won't go into too much detail other than that he writes good essays/guides, but his stories arn't for me.

Bread
Genesis Rose chapter 1 . 4/18/2006
lol This is great. Since evey one of the stories/books/things I write MUST have an intense, bloody, evil fight scene, this ... uh... thing... story... advice... gave me lots of pointers... dankies for the info! i'll keep reading!
Moonstorm101 chapter 3 . 4/15/2006
FEAR MY SPLURGING! , yet another v. useful chapter: the thought sequence advice being particulary useful seeing as it's a big trap that a lot of people fall into when writing in first person; half the page winds up in italics.I'd make a request for one of the next chapters if I wasn't only learning most of this stuff as I'm reading it here...but something that you might want to consider putting in at some point is sound effects (cling, clang, ka-chunk- ok, ok, I won't say it...) and how to put them in (or if to put them in at all)Something like the difference between:Crash; the ceiling had just collapsed andCRASH!The ceililng has just collapsed, leaving the all-time good guy completely screwedNeither of those are even good in slightest but you know what I mean... Anyway, great chapter!
firebenderZula chapter 1 . 4/15/2006
I love it! Thank you so much. Now I know how to write a fight scene.
Moonstorm101 chapter 2 . 4/14/2006
See, I actually thought that this would be a completely serious chapter...and then I read about the eggs O_ , I know a LOT of people who could put this advice to good use...unlike me. I mean, you can hardly have a madcap sword fight between sk8er punks and teenyboppers...or aries and , very good advice! Unlike my stuff! Go you! Right then...I'm off to spread ze word to my 'ka-chunka'-ing friends. Keep it up!The advice, not the ka-chunka-ing...
Moonstorm101 chapter 1 . 4/14/2006
Wow, I actually have a hyperlink-thingy in your profile! Thank you! ...I'd probably do something similar if I actually had any skills at computer-rangling. Which I don't, seeing as microsoft seems to detest me along with the rest of the , this is different the Burnt Bread's story seeing as hers (I think it's 'hers'...O_o) is more of a parody where as yours (at least in this chapter) actually offers advice that could be used. As well as helping the rest of us who are forced to read scenes such as this one:"That guy grabbed the sword and stabbed the other guy with the sword and then the swords went 'KA-CHUNKA' and the swords flew away and the swords were like, so ugly...and the the two dudes grabbed the swords again and one of them went 'KA-CHING!' 'coz he'd swallowed an egg timer and then-"And then the reader threw themselves out of the window of a high rise ...I'm a-gonna shut up and read the rest chapter :D
iknowthethirdthingaboutpoetry chapter 2 . 4/13/2006
I could be wrong, but shouldn't there be an -ing after "fight" and before "scene"? "Fight scene" just doesn't fit my ears right. Eh, whatever.

I don't know too much about writing action scenes, but I have to disagree with your big DON'T make one attack longer than two sentences. The example you provided is actually not too bad. Besides, if you combine sentences all the time, your story can come off as pretentious, which is the problem with most fantasy stories I've come across.

Finally, in your next chapter, try to use better transitions and state your points clearly. You kind of jumped from one point to another, and I frankly don't understand your second big DON'T. So, like, what's the problem with the sample excerpt?

Anyway, keep writing.
PaiselyAvenger chapter 2 . 4/12/2006
I think I was thinking about a column about technique, or something. it was late when I reviewed it, that's my excuse... It's sort of annoying that the most recent column is from early 05. I enjoyed this chapter too. I always worry that i've over described a situation, I think these suggestions will certainly help me. Keep going! :)
John Enverga chapter 2 . 4/12/2006
Good ideas and advice so far! This is the kind of essay I needed to see, since I am planning a couple of action stories.

I think I'll keep your advice handy whenever I need it.
Alankria chapter 1 . 4/12/2006
Firstly, a katana is a very particular kind of sword, definitely not a knife or a dagger, so it's not really synonymous for, well, anything. But yes, variation is important and it will help with the flow - though there's more to flow than just varying your words. Some useful tips here, particularly about varying weapons - fighting with whatever comes to hand.
PaiselyAvenger chapter 1 . 4/11/2006
Good article, great suggestions. I think it'd be quite nifty to have a subcatagory for writing technique posts, such as this. I'd like to see more.
Hayle chapter 1 . 4/11/2006
Hey there! I thought it was great for someone to post something like this! I have fight scenes planned for my story and I agree that repetition can suck. I try not to be redundant in descriptions too... Good of you to post something like this anyhow! _
162 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11