Reviews for The girl from Jericho
Kassia chapter 1 . 7/12/2006
Wow. This truely is an amazing poem. I will eat the eyes of my enemies, until I see all that you see. Create with my two hands the shape of a child in my cold womb and show you how god-like I can be. Those are powerful words and to me convey the god-like powers of woman. It has always been my belief that men treat women this way because they are jealous that they cannot create life. All they can do is destroy it. Anyway, killer poem. Keep up the amazing work! Love,Kassia
Chandra-Moon chapter 1 . 5/16/2006
You talk about fire in this and in "The promise of Never, Never Continuation". Hmm. Normally, I cannot stand poem-stories. I love "Out of the Dust," "The Cremation of Sam McGee," and "The Highwayman." but other than that, I just cannot pay attention to long, drawn out poems. Robert Frost? Forget it. The only book I've failed to read for English class is "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight."

But this is a story poem I like, maybe because it's short, or because it's you, or because it's so grippingly written. It's awful and sweet. The mother and daughter is touching but not overdone or cliche, "kiss the spaces between her eyes," it was just wonderful words. The ending was haunting, the tale as a whole was just wonderful.
Nicole Michele chapter 1 . 5/7/2006
Wow, it's long and good. Strong, and gorgeous. I could come up with adjectives all day, but then you'd just want to shoot me in the face :p
q is for quirks chapter 1 . 5/6/2006
...you...are...brilliant. especially with the last line! "all must change in time." can i quote that? because that's really true... great job. also, thanks for the review.
Honey and Tar chapter 1 . 4/28/2006
This is breathtaking. I am honoured you read, let alone review my
in theory chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
Wow. What a woman, this girl must have been/is. I don't get the impression that she's a figment. (by the way, to get it out of the way, in response to your last review, I was touched [poetically] by you referring to poetry as reality. I've always seen it so contrawisely, but yeah, see latest piece for more rambling on this subject)

Something so fabulous about the word Jericho, I was raised Christian and came across it lots. It reeks of childhood to me. And the free releasing imagery of this girl running is entrancing. It feels like this girl is you, your pen, your written release. I have almost no idea what Jericho symbolises, or exactly how literal this whole scene really is but it's dazzling.

Talking of generational gaps, I can imagine the female side of your family to be quite depthy (more so than the males, for some [probably stereotyping] reason.)

But yeah, I was saying before that the image of this girl running brings thoughts of you running *with* your ideas, your soul and written account, not from it. Or maybe not always from it. Who knows, again I'm rambling.

All I really wanted to say was it's been too long, I missed reviewing you at least three times a week and exorcising my own stupidly inconvenient poemworm (it attacked me so many times but I found that alcohol and lots of coursework tends to quieten it. Tip for insomnia-induced fights with inspiration, if you NEED sleep, it works for me!)

Anyway, will definitely keep up with your new stuff from now on! *slaps self*

truly,jack
account not in use chapter 1 . 4/21/2006
I can see this being incredible spoken poetry, espcially with that last line, it stops you in your tracks. The way everything seems to bend and melt and run into each other is amazing-a show of your incredible vision and talent.

I love the sometimes harsh brutality of your writing.
Jason J. Ross chapter 1 . 4/20/2006
Wow! Your words are music! Wonderful expression!
Paramour-ing chapter 1 . 4/18/2006
new perspective for you
BlackDreamLily chapter 1 . 4/18/2006
... wow. Oh-my-*n God... (Sits back in awe and admiration, then smiles really big) This is beautiful Juliet! I love everything from the bold-to-the-point-of-uncomfortable imagery to the whole, bitter "paradise lost" theme you've painted! I love the last line that the infant says, "all must change in time." It's very profound. Kind of scary, too. Actually, the whole poem was profound and scary. That's what took it to the next level: Brilliantly written. _ I can't believe it. I'm so in shock. You're piece is so convincing it actually makes one sit and question the power and oppression of womenkind! (I'm assuming this is about middle-eastern women. Bravo for tackling such a sticky topic!) Two thumbs up: I must go read your other pieces now! (PS- Do you mind if I quote you in my bio?)
Kavita Najim chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
i love the last line!

The child from Jericho puts her hand in mine,

small layers on top of the next and she whispers:

“all must change in time.”

Peace, Jessi
amavian chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
I really like how you took religion and then turned it into feminism, that is so cool and only you could ever make that combination work like it did here.
lavenderfoxdaisy chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
a great sense of nostalgia is recieved from this and the hailing of generations is religously repeated in each accustomned line, it's beautifully expressed and it's voice of first person distributes a challenging upraise of what is to be and what could have been. i like this a great deal. touchingly felt to the point of it being tearjerking.
simply meg chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
cool. Nice job. Write On!