Reviews for Storm
crack the sky chapter 1 . 6/29/2009
it amuses me that the main character's name is christian, even though he's agnostic. i don't know why. i am amused by odd things, irony being one of them.

ugh, there was one line i really loved, but i can't remember what it was. i remember it was awesome, though.
kaigrey chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
This story made me incredibly sad and introspective and honestly hit a little too close to home. The only part that (to me) was a bit unrealistic was the kiss. Davis has denied this part of himself for so long and to such an extent that it's hard for me to imagine him instigating or going along with a first kiss or even a second. I personally feel like it would be too ingrained into him to *touch* much less kiss Christian, despite the extent of his feelings for him. But then, thats just me. I love your work. All of it has a lot of variety and heart. Keep writing
kepteinen chapter 1 . 12/13/2008
I.

Love.

You.
The Sham chapter 1 . 9/11/2008
Well, this is like the fifth time I’ve read this story in the last two years. And I’ve finally gotten the nerve to review. First of all, amazing writing. Beautiful. Brilliant story. Sort of what I thought would happen when I came out to my brother. . . .aside from the fact that I wasn’t in love with him. THAT would have been awkward. But growing up in a devout Catholic family gave me a healthy dose of fear of both God and my own burgeoning homosexuality. I now know that He loves me no matter what I do, think, or say and I’m completely comfortable with my sexuality, but I can definitely relate to Davis’ situation. For devoutly religious folks, life without religion, without God, IS the scariest thing imaginable. Second only to the fear of going to hell. And I can relate with Davis’ inhibitions in his life and his jealousy of Christian. Of Christian’s ability to live without religion, without the worry of sin. Thanks for writing this wonderful story. It’s a great read and an inspiration.

Thanks again

XO

Shampain86
x-princessa-temnoti-x chapter 1 . 8/20/2008
Wow. I'm very glad I came across this. Thank you for faving me...which is why I clicked on your profile link.

I liked this so much because it isn't just slash fic. And I ask some of the same questions Davis and Christian - which, is, rather ironic - about homosexuality. Being a Christian myself, there is a whole great deal I don't get about things. I don't approve of Christians being pro-gay - but as for myself, I don't see why it has to be wrong. I'm questioning the wrongness of it, I guess. But I was glad to see something that came at it from the Christian perspective as well and just how Davis's faith is so strong and how it's himself that believes it is wrong and not everyone else telling him, though that seems to have been an influence too.

I'm not sure how good I am at putting my thoughts into coherent sentences and I think the above is a good example. I hope it's understandable. As for your story, as a story, it's written very well, very strong. It seems neither stiff nor artificial, though I know it might to the one who wrote it, and I think using so much dialogue gives a different air to the whole thing. I don't see why this needs much more description; I think it's perfect the way it is.

And hoping that no one gets violently insulted? What's good writing, if not controversial?

Thank you for a beautiful read.
Aibari chapter 1 . 3/10/2008
Thank you. This story was absoloutely wonderful - you've got no idea how much it means to me. I can't even express it properly. :')

Best of luck onwards.
rosetintedgoggles chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
First of all, I don't know what you're talking about with "stiff, artificial, ah, something". I loved it.

It was a bit much though, emotionally. I had to take a break halfway through. Of course, I have absolutely no trouble empathizing with characters, so it was more like their problems were MY problems, and that made it that much worse...

But I still loved it absolutely to death. Personally, I am an atheist, so I can't even begin to imagine loving someone you may never get to see as much as Davis does, so I was on Christian's side the entire time. But, they both made me cry.

Stupid boys. -sniffles and runs off to wonder why life can't be perfect-
Vaguely Amused chapter 1 . 10/18/2007
I liked this story... first of all I agree with your perception of the Christian who chooses to deny themselves because they believe it's wrong... of course I'm also a Christian who believes the bible needs to be taken with a grain of salt because it was written by man, and can't believe half of what people get away with on the pulpit... odd for a Christian but what can I say I'm also a cynic...

and I'm throwing this out there... I have an uncle who is in his 40s and is still single to this day because he thinks his sexual orientation is wrong and will not act on it... because he believes exactly like your character does...

in all this is very well written and I enjoyed it. I think a lot of people do not understand situations like this but they exist.
skitly chapter 1 . 9/11/2007
that was so amazing, and beautiful (in a really twisted way) i love it so very much! your writing is so...deep i supose and descriptive and i just love it!
Hyacinthe Wing chapter 1 . 6/8/2007
... This is the second time I've read this story, and it still makes me sad and upset and angry and, because I'm a freak for happy endings, I want to dig into the Story of this story with my writing skills (scalpels and pens), and hack away all of the universes of sad endings until I find an alternate universe where the two of them can be happy.

In my head, I make believe that during their last summer together, Christian finally lets Davis know just what his feeling are, and their intensity; "If it would give you any happiness for me to become Christian, I will try as hard as I can, and I will never stop trying; I only ask that I might remain by your side."

And so Davis reaches some level of spiritual maturity, and he and Christian go off to separate monasteries in Europe to become monks and pursue their artistic careers in a monkish fashion; and every Wednesday they have lunch together in a nice cafe, sometimes packing picnic lunches to eat in the park, because they love each other, and they have done all they can to make their love holy. They are chaste, and they put time and effort into eradicating their sexual desires; because the Bible only prohibits homosexuality in that it is a sexuality. A completely benevolent, completely platonic relationship cannot be sinful. It asks great sacrifices of both of them, mostly of Christian. But they persevere, and they find happiness under the eyes of God. The end.

Because, of course, true love conquers everything.

Sigh. I *wish*.

I'm not a Bible-thumper; I am in fact sort of ambiguously agnostic, but I am interested in religions, and Christianity has an especially rich history with lots of literature about it and around it. (smiles) So, one way I enjoyed this story was that it reminded me about CS Lewis; I went to the library and got the only one of his books they had that wasn't the sci-fi trilogy or the Chronicles of Narnia, "The Screwtape Letters", which I am currently reading avidly. Now I want to read Aquinas, and TS Eliot, and everything I can lay my hands on.
CreepSneakPounce chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
the story was actually pretty good overall.

I could use this for something... just in case Oliver'll finally crack. Trust me he's gone from saintly to diminishing.

what I really like about this story was Christian's line on their future and how they look at the situation after it happened.

and yes, the cliche of 'self-righteous, bitchy, unfeeling, and hypocritical when it comes to homosexuality'

but, there's something that people don't always reveal about them... maybe it's like that because they focus on the protagonist rather than the others... but I have to say it's a little annoying as well... or should I say aggravating.

and the last line on feeling like a liar, I agree to that. It's like they only see what's outside but never care to see what's inside...
Lelie chapter 1 . 2/5/2007
I think that I was almost in tears with this! My chest was so tight that it physically hurt.

Just... wow... Don't degrade yourself on any of it. It was all perfect. The style adding to the effect wonderfully. Gah! It was just so good.

Sorry, I'm rambling now.

-Lelie
pinklettuceleaf chapter 1 . 1/1/2007
Brilliant.

That is touching, real and... well, brilliant. I'm sad to hear you're not pleased with it, but I think this is amazing.

Also, thanks (randomly) for putting the songs at the bottom.. I realised I like half of them and now can look up the ones I haven't heard of :) I recommend Snow Patrol to you in return (try "Chocolate", "Run", "make this go on forever" as they are the best)
NayNymic chapter 1 . 11/29/2006
super happy nuclear girl chapter 1 . 10/27/2006
Wow... you had me gripped. I mean it, your author note says you think its artificial and stiff but its not at all! I hardly ever see stories that show how hard it is to be gay, especially religious homosexuals. I can't even imagin what it's like to be torn between two types of being. It must tear you up inside like nothing else.

Im really glad you made it so that he walked away - its more realistic than him dropping everything he believes in. It happens, I know. Its a deep story and by the end I was in tears - because im a wuss like that.

I wish I could give you more but I can't, im not that good at reviewing but I try to tell writers what im feeling. Anyway... this is really good, I liked it a lot. :] uh... bye!
48 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »