Reviews for Ignorance and Popularity in the Banning of HP
juventus7 chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
This is a great essay that sums up everything that i feel about harry haters! Great work!
You Know Who chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
I want this message to be passed around to Harry Haters. I wrote this to a guy who thought Harry was the Devil!

A little note, Harry asked Tom to redeemed himself. Isn't that in the Bible?

You can't get rid of ME! Have you even READ the books. They have magic, adventure, justice, romance, action... No really these books have all the great stuff in it. Kinda like the Chicken Soup Books!

Miss me?

You are wrong. Will you just stop flaming classics and start reading them? You will never know the magic, adventure, the battle. Till you read. So whose side are you on? Those that are narrow minded or the ones who are willing to embrace anything? Harry Potter saved the Wizarding World. He sacerficed his own self to save his friends. He loss so much and lived. Lived to save the future. So read wont you?

Bloody Just get it into your head. IT IS FICTION! you spelled Voldemort wrong. Harry is not a devil. Can a devil sacerfice his own self for the better future of other? NO Can a devil love? NO Can a devil stop a dark evil? NO Can a devil do spells that require love and happiness? NO

Hogwarts dose not existe.(sadly) The books were about death. How not to fear it. How to embrace it. Another note if a Killing Curse was heading twords someone that you care about what will you do? A) Watch as that person dies, or B) Take the killing curse for her/him and die a Hero?

Harry did B)

It's me again. First of all the D.A. FIGHTS dark magic. They are willing to stand to be champions. Because if I was at Hogwarts during that time I won't be silent I would talk back. Harry was FORCED to part of bringing Tom back. Expecto Patronum needs HAPPINESS and LOVE to work. LOVE saves Harry in many ways. His Mom died saving him. He SACERFICED his own self to give everybody a better future. He is not afraid of death. The Ministry was ignorant when Tom came back. They ignored a murder. I don't know about you but I would stand for such bull. Ignorance is no longer a protection. Deal with it.

I disagree, The Books has taught us to fight for what we believe. To stand up when others sit down. To say yes when others say no. To be brave even in the face of death. How Ignorence can't be a protection. How love is powerful. Albus was only avoiding Harry because he was afraid of the connection! Her name is LILY not LILLIAN. Hermione dose not mean a"re-emerging horn" it comes from the greek G-d Hermes! Ron's last name is suppose to show how much bad luck his family had. Merlin you need to reread your facts.
You Know Who chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
I agree burning books is like the Nazis. Harry Potter teaches us of what One person can do. To stand up, to fight. To face the consquences between life and death. I agree.
The Mumbling Sage chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Oddly enough, I have a friend who condemned 'Chronicles of Narnia' as evil because it involves magic. I can't remember if I laughed in her face or not. I hope I didn't, but it was rather funny. 'The only good is knowledge, the only evil ignorance'.
paper dolls chapter 1 . 6/6/2006
Exactly! If those self-righteous morons would even read the books, they would see that they preach against prejudice.

Which, now that I think of it, they would probably dislike.
Tom chapter 1 . 5/8/2006
Harry Potter blows. Ban it and people'll be better off.
iknowthethirdthingaboutpoetry chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
I think this is the eighth Christian-related essay I've read within the last two weeks. Must be the Easter aftereffect.

I agree with some of your points. Similarly, you could also write about the Da Vinci Code and ponder what causes all the hype.

By the way, I've actually seen two blind men leading each other on the street, and while it was mean on my part, I secretly found it amusing.
Lorendiac chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
I can't remember exactly where I saw this, so I'm paraphrasing from memory. You've been warned!

In an article somewhere, I believe I saw Rowling quoted as saying approximately the following (paraphrased from memory): "I'll worry about what 'influence' my books are having on kids after I hear a 12-year-old girl say to me at a book signing, "Ms. Rowling, I'm so glad I read your book because now I know I can really be a Professional Witch when I grow up!"

Apparently, at the time she made that statement a year or two, that conversation had *never* happened. As far as she could tell, her juvenile readers understood perfectly well that the magic spells and tools and so forth that she describes in her books "don't really work" - they are just colorful elements in the tradition of fairy tales, and so there's no point in nagging your parents to fill out an application for you to spend the next seven years studying magic at Hogwarts or any of its rival schools of magic :)

I thought that was a reasonable attitude for her to take!
Asia Minor chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Well written and researched, great points made. I especially like the comparisons to His Dark Materials. I also appreciate that you often used the term "Conservative Christians" since it's true that not all Christians, in fact I'd venture to say most Christians are not so uptight about these issues and are sane enough to know it's just fiction and can't harm anyone. It's amazing how loudly the extremists can speak even though they're in the minority.
Anya Tempest chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
I think that you seemed to state your point a little too much at times, the wording got fairly repetitive, for example:

"Censorship of the Harry Potter books springs from both ignorance and popularity. "

I think you used that several times as a start of a paragraph, so it came across as a little overkill.

I do agree with your sentiments. I'm a Christian, but to me a fictional book series is just what it is...fictional.

My beef with Harry Potter is not that it's evil, but, in my opinion, is in fact blindingly mediocre as a book series as a whole, and is disgustingly over-hyped and made out to be far better than it actually is. (And I'm speaking from first hand experience, I've read all the books, as well as lots of much better series to compare it with).

Anyway, nice essay. I can tell you worked hard on it, so good job.
Thurayya chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
Wonderful paper. I have shared many of the same views, and its wonderful that you have it all laid out in a concise, well-constructed, and very organized message.

While I understand that this paper was mainly addressing the 'Harry Potter is Anti-Christian' stand, I saw that in the last paragraph you expanded it, saying how Harry Potter has many good things to offer - such as ecouragement to read. I believe you could have added a bit more: it teaches honor, respect, friendship, morality, justice, independence. So many /good/ themes are permeated and woven into J.K. Rowling's words; it is simply telling the story through a magical viewpoint.

This is going on my Favorites. Well done!

-applauds-