Reviews for La Vida de María Isabel
Caught By Myself chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
Ah, fabulous. Fabulous imagery. So much happens in this chapter, but I think that it's already enough for the readers to understand Maria Isabel's story. The action puts it all together, the dialogue (with a mix of Spanish words), the way the characters move, and why they move. It's a tragic story, but it flows wonderfully.
Annonymous chapter 1 . 5/30/2006
What a very poignant story. It was well executed and one can’t help but feel the tragedy in the poor fate of Maria. The style of writing in this piece is phenomenal, transcending the quality of most amateur work one might come across these days.

You definitely possess a knack for story-telling. I found myself getting whisked away in Maria's life, as sad and desperate as it was. The ending was very bitter but I think it reflected the harsh quality reality often represents. Excellent use of concrete details as well.

Even if one is not completely familiar with the Spanish language, it was easy enough to catch on to what was being discussed in the dialogue. What struck me most was the tenderness between Maria and her sibling and how easily everything was taken away. Perhaps one of the themes of this story was in addressing the fragility of life.

I look forward to reading your future stories.
criti-sized chapter 1 . 5/23/2006
This was really nice. I liked how you put emotion into your writing and how your format is very great.
Megan Maydell chapter 1 . 5/22/2006
I really enjoyed this. Your writing is really superb. It flows so smoothly and you use such rich words. You're my kind of writer. This is also really relevant at this time and I'm sure that's what inspired it. It personalized the situation that is happening in America and south of the border. There was only one thing I noticed that I would suggest, and it's the tiniest thing. When the soldier is talking in the beginning when Maria is hiding, he uses the word "squalid". It's a great word, but one a soldier probably doesn't even know the meaning of. I think it would give the story more color if you reflected what a soldier's dialect and vocabulary is more prone to be like. Otherwise, I think it's really great. I want to go read your other pieces now. :)