Reviews for Thumb Ring
Lady Fingers chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
And she sings; the melody, of calamity - it’s

only a matter of time, you joke (between gunshots)

before the crime comes to a halt.

that is so amazing

your an inspiration
Mentally Migrated chapter 1 . 6/15/2006
This is huge, speaking in terms of length and just sheer volume of thought. Firstly, I'll probably only have time to half-review it (hence the lack of signing in), but yeah...I'll go through as much as I can.

The title is pretty, makes me think of exotic and slightly barmy women with dreadlocks on a train who can barely move their fingers for the amount of rings on them.

"We damn the tongues that carve us"..I see this as rejecting parents, blaming them for whatever suppressed feeling of being "under the thumb" they might have installed in you as a child (using 'you' as a word, not literally..you. It gets very confusing, stupid flexibility of pronouns and all.) In fact "under the thumb" kind of links in with your title, daftly and deftly and probably accidentally? Or maybe I'm just seeing things too metaphorically.

I like how you say "for you"..I belong for you. Like you're intergrating yourself into someone, making yourself belonging..it's odd, and you maintain your sense of independence and provocative, stylish fiestyness.

I have no idea who you mean by Nicole, but she sounds like an interesting teacher. Kisses like prayer beads...brings so many fabulous, connected thoughts of religion and sexuality. And touch, and touch..draws it on, leads you down the shaft of those beads and I can squint and nearly see how a kiss might take that shape.

"If blood is a landmark.." I like the originality of that, blood seems overflexible sometimes and just a little bit too convenient to use for symbolism. You morph it quite quietly though, slip it into another context and it becomes all visual and solid, clotted?

The grandfathers being connected, and then the nostalgic wham of the last line..it's weirdly emotional, though I don't know these people. You build up to it, I think that's the main part. And then I really like the line as you seep into my soul...it just sits there, demanding rereading and rereading, it just flows.

Graphic and a bit dusgusting, the story unfolds silkily, like slipping off the thumb ring you mention..I've never folded a love letter before (strange ritual thingy, probably should get advice on that..) but yeah, I like that metaphor.

The finiteness and predetermined inevitability (I so rarely get to use that phrase, *giggles with glee* fabulous words, both of them seem to mean the same thing but they link so well...to my confused little head)of growing into your parents (or your mother) is broody and looming. I always wonder whether our personalities are nurture or nature, and that stanza opened that whole kettle of fish for me ..again!

I love the word calamity..it's so reusable, it feels panicky and delicate at the same time. And singing it seems extra odd, I love it. I've made a space for you, I have a taste for you...gorgeous, clever and little all in one bite.

That whole other bit afterwards left me a little floundering..I kinda stayed afloat but every so often I'd wonder how it's related? I like it a lot, especially the excommunicated theologans part, though.

The whole memories and baby poems of childhood and the ease of responsibility and the gathering of new things...it's so nostalgic, your poetry (especially when eaten in more or less a continuous chunk over a few days, rather than every week or so) seems to be more and more retrospective, which is inviting and eyeopening. I'm turning 18 in a month, and everything feels under the microscope right now...I daren't really put my mind to finishing a poem and typing it up properly just because I don't know what kinda worms are in the can, or how wriggly they might be. But I appreciate it in your recent work, it opens up new alleys and ways of looking at things.

I'm proud of my ape ancestors...I always used to defend my disbelief in evolution, but now I've kind of laxed into thinking it's possible..but still not convinced. The last stanza is really quite breathstealing, the two of you (or is it really just two?) laid down, on a field in an idyllic, poetic world, and your rings are the symbol of unison but really they're only the physical binding/representation, because it's under your eyes and in your hands and flexing throughout every stanza in this. It's weird, in one word.

Love using pronouns on a single line too, always provokes me.

I liked this one especially, out of a long list of favouritish ones of yours. (rib, female, vagina, and teacups being others too).

Fabulous work, truly

jack

(it turns out I had time..!)
Alyssa's Attic chapter 1 . 6/2/2006
deep and thoughtful - very captivating
R.J. Crosbie chapter 1 . 6/1/2006
i couldn't really make out a clear paraphrase of the poem, but i loved the imagery. first you were talking about passion and then race and then religion, but i think i noticed they all tied up at the end. i liked the line "i'm proud of my ape generation." it's kind of what helped me understand the poem a little better. but otherwise, this was lovely!
Ashelin chapter 1 . 5/30/2006
I don't know what to say. I'm sick (really) and I'm not really in the mood. The poem has emotion, but it is confusing at times. I don't agree with it, and I think you can do better.
H.L. Darlows chapter 1 . 5/29/2006
A great poem! It really makes you think and reflect. Excellent word choice, good formatting. Well done!
method acting chapter 1 . 5/29/2006
Fecking long and fecking sensual and fecking heartfelt and and and fecking excellent. Too many lovely descriptions to list, flow was perfect, prespective was brilliant. You're brilliant. In a youthanism way. Super job.
Prescribe-Me-An-Ego chapter 1 . 5/28/2006
Stunning. The style was brilliant. This was my favorite two lines:

I’ve made a space for you,

I have a taste for you.