Reviews for Covered
Amal chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
What rubbish! You don't know how we feel, so stop the sympathy! Why does everyone think we're oppressed just because we want to cover?
DixieLullaby chapter 1 . 9/13/2008
I was reading over the reviews and was impressed to add to it. I think we all should be lenient with others peoples cultures not just with Islam. I also think that we should not be quick to judge either when we are not of that reiligon. If the women of that culture were truly unhappy and repressed as a population they would have sparked a revolution by now (women are an unstopable force to be recound). Islam has been around over a thousands years. I just wish people could understand that and not generalize because of the news. I think that the author was nice though in the way he/she wrote and with the visulision my only advise would be to do some reseach when writing about a topic such as this.
Anon chapter 1 . 7/8/2008
I read the message over the poem and just had to correct your views, the part where you said women are allowed in only certain part of a building is WRONG, the only thing is that a woman doesn't usually stay in a room alone with a male that is not her father (including grandfathers and great grandfathers), brothers, uncles (again it could be the woman's any number of great uncle), and nephew, so that nothing happens to her.

Another thing is that we cover ourselves because we believe that if a man (other than those mentioned above) see the skin of a woman they might get tempted to do what ever they want to her (eg. kidnap and rape her). So in a we do it to protect ourselves.

If you wish to fight these reasons, think of the guys on the streets that sit and stare at women, or flirt with them, I'm not saying all guys are like this but you can never know.
Biel chapter 1 . 7/19/2007
Despite your disclaimer, I can't deny that this poem slightly rubs me the wrong way, however I give you props for discussing a serious issue that is brought about by those ignorant of true Islam. The poem is also nicely written.
Zay-Zay chapter 1 . 6/20/2007
Well, you have a really good way with words, but yeah, as the other people have said, it's too stereotypical. Most Muslim women who do cover themselves do it by choice. Like, one of my mom's friends was a model until she decided to wear a hijab. Her husband actually BEGGED her to not wear the hijab anymore. And if you look at my school, NONE of the Muslim girls wear hijabs. Most actually wear skirts just like the other girls. But really pretty writing.
Moosher chapter 1 . 3/30/2007
You have a great writing talent, but your stereotypical idea of Muslim women truly saddens and offends me. Other than very few exceptions in some households, Muslim women are not opressed, and they choose to be covered. I'd appreciate it if you learn more about the issue before you make such a serious generalization. Nevertheless, write on.

-Moosher
dreamforever101 chapter 1 . 2/2/2007
hmm... I'm taking some offense to this! (only a little bit but still)

okay first,

I love the way you wrote it, you have a very nice writing style and its brilliant!

But, as for content, its not fair to stereotype muslim women as weak pathetic fools who are chained & enslaved by their husbands... cuz trust me.. they're not!

However I do recognize that the world isn't perfect and that some men may treat their wives badly. But take account that its not only Muslims but the rest of the world as well... havent you heard of violent and abusive boyfriends... or what about all those dad's that get drunk and beat their wives and kids (Muslims dont drink alcohol by the way)

and the my last point is...

Just because Muslim women dont show off their body to any scoundrel on the street does not mean they are opressed.

Actually Women, even in North America, used to be all covered up and its only after WWI or WWII that women started wearing clothes *gasp!* up to their knees! adn from there onit got shorter adn shorter... but yeah.. shorter clothing doesn't freedom...

umm... other than trying to make sure you dont have a extremely stereotyped view of a muslim woman in the middle east...

Your poem is really really good... if you don't imply that its Muslim and try to make it more general and universal.. A lot more ppl may connect with it!

Good Work! Keep on writing!
Manuel Fajar chapter 1 . 12/24/2006
This is a sad story that is not often told in the West. The Muslim world was the last to give up slavery (still exists) and is still the great oppressors of women. Thank you for your courage in describing this horrible tragedy. m
Lord-of-Fools chapter 1 . 12/1/2006
A good poem, I like the poetic language. Your summary generalised a little, but I guess that's forgiveable. The repetition of the first line in the last stanza is very effective, as is the rhyming pattern.