Reviews for The Armenian Genocide
underrose chapter 1 . 1/24/2008
hey,

) that was very well written. see my poem 'genocide' and leave a review.
Arn-The-Silent-Scream chapter 1 . 6/23/2006
As a Turk, I have had to listen to things similare to this for a while. I can not pretend that the information I have is fresh, nor can I offer sources I have not seen for many years, however. The first thing to consider is that the Armenians where a significant threat to the turks, both politically, and personally. Much more so than the Native Americans to the Europeans and the Zulu to the British. Secondly, during the occupation of turkey by the allies the Armenians where preforming very similar acts, if perhaps not in mass, to the turkish populations. When Turkey, reaserted, its independence it had on its hands a rather rebellious popultion. I have come to understand that the genocide was an unintended side effect of a mass banishment. I suppose that none of these things are very good excuses. But EVERY country has its skeletons in the closet, they just conveniently forget them whenever possible.
Kohlomere chapter 1 . 6/15/2006
That's horrible. Why don't we hear about those things in school? Why is the battle of the Alamo drummed into school childrens' heads while the students are ignorant to human suffering around the world? E.
Horace Gold chapter 1 . 6/9/2006
Very well written. A few points, however, that you might want to consider:

-Althought it is a well known fact that the enslavement of Armenian soldiers, mass purges of Armenian statesmen, and the numerous death-marches of Armenian civillians were acts committed by the Young Turks, there is much evidence to suggest that the decision to follow through with the Armenian Genocide was not so much an order of Enver Pasha (Who was Ottoman Secratary of War at the time) but a government conspiracy.

-Both Enver Pasha and Mustafa Kemal were constantly and infinitely distrustful of the Germans. Pasha would routinely shut out and disregard the strategic advice of General Liman von Sanders (Assigned as an advisor from the Germans). Turkish and German forces didn't co-ordinate particularly well, thus it is unlikely that Armenian hatred of the Germans would arouse suspicion.

-The Russo-Turkish front was a relatively cold one during WWI, and any Armenian assistance to the Tsar's armies could be seen as a mutiny.

-Consider that the first targets of the extermination were statesmen: Wealthy community leaders and politicians of Armenian heritage or ancestry.

-Also consider examining the Armenian slave trade and resistance to the Genocide. One of the things that always fascinated me was that they would often allow themselves to be taken by Arab and Persian raiders, and often joined them in rebuke.

None of these things are necessarily 'wrong' in any sense; you have a very well written and researched essay, I just thought I'd throw in a few things of my own interest that might give this peice of writing a different dynamic.

Cheers, mate.