Reviews for The Truth of Being Beautiful
One-Hand Clap chapter 1 . 4/19/2008
I went through a same, agonizing journey to find the answer to 'what if beauty?' when I was thirteen. The thought consumed me. I concluded several times what beauty was before I reached the actual conclusion that beauty is life, but to view beauty, one must first be very quiet and not as hectic as I was. That's what beauty is for me, though! Beauty in itself is an ambiguous term - in all accounts, it is in the eye of the beholder, and holds different meanings for many different people! But I loved this for attempting to come to a conclusion about what Beauty is.

However, I must broach upon a spelling error my Nazi-Spell eyes picked up:

Stop trying to ‘loose weight’

I think you mean Stop trying to lose weight.

Anywhy, nice job!

- Clap Trap, from Review Marathon [link in profile]
Arn-The-Silent-Scream chapter 1 . 6/23/2006
While the writing does well to envoke images it is completly ineffective to the purpose that you direct it. At the very least I will conciede that this is not the load of bunk that can be summed up with the phrase "I should be beauty". However you seem to be trying to say that human beauty is equatable with a sort of spiritual beauty. At time I will be struck by the beauty of a sunset or the waves crashiong against the cliffs. But these are in no way related to the woman that I want to enjoy them with. Why do people like other people to look a certain way, i don't know. Evolution, culture, mass media any other of a thousand definitions. The fact remains that when I think of the perfect woman she does not have difficulty seeing her feet. Though your essay does not opening confront this issue let me state it anyway. We do not tell the great masters to stop painting so well because other people aren't that good, why should people who are beautyful be treated with destain because other people treat them as "human made gods of the current times"
less-than-imperfect chapter 1 . 6/17/2006
beautifully written.
paper dolls chapter 1 . 6/16/2006
I don't see why so many reviewers flamed you. This was pretty good. [You really should get a beta reader, or proofread this. There were a lot of comma mistakes.]

You made a good point, though it does [as the flamers said] come across as a harangue.
Unimportant chapter 1 . 6/15/2006
After reading the other reviews, I have to agree with them. You try to use big words in order to sound intelligent, but you just end up coming across as pompous and occasionally even ignorant. You don't "loose" weight; you "lose" weight. Also, you need to go back and review punctuation rules. Most of the time you use a comma (or five) when you don't need one. All in all, this needs a lot of revision.

"Read over your compositions, and whenever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out." -Samuel Johnson
John Stein PhD chapter 1 . 6/15/2006
I can't believe that the sheer pretentiousness here is jam packed into one person. If you think that psuedo-intellectual quips like "Oh but listen well, child of Socrates," make you sound remotely intelligent, you have a long way to go in your writing.

It's ironic that your method of telling other people to be themselves, shows that even you're not following your own bullshit advice.
No Trust chapter 1 . 6/14/2006
“Stop trying to ‘loose weight’ to fit an image, do that for your health, or for your own wants.”

I’m pretty sure people trying to “fit an image” are doing so because it will help them fulfill some other want. Like getting laid (by a non-repulsive partner).
Formerly chapter 1 . 6/14/2006
Eh. Too arrogant to be effective unless it's really good, which it isn't. Tone down your vocabulary-it's not a good idea to use such stilted phrasing unless you're really, really good at it.

Oh, and I greatly disapprove of many of your commas.
Charley Keed chapter 1 . 6/14/2006
And another astonishing piece of work, and again I'm in awe of your talents.

Very awesome, what you've written here. I like how it's shorter and to the point, but in a very poetic, captivating way.

I've noticed that one of your favorite themes is that curruption of minds due to the fantasy world in media, and this piece is very much in agreement.

I am someone who finds pride in going against the stereo-typical run towards perfection and I think through messages such as this essay more and more people will realize that, in the end, who we are isn't going anywhere.