Reviews for Storm Symphony
Point Zero chapter 1 . 3/9/2007
Very beautiful. I read the summary and what REALLY attracted me was the "You review me I review you" and I need reviews for my story The Binding Ballad (which is probably my best work so far on fictionpress).

But anyway, this poem...or short narrative...or whatever you'd call this, is really good. I'm starting to look forward to reading your work.

Feel free to read my work (prefferably my short story, but if you decided to read some of my REALLY bad poems, then that's okay too.)
having reached closure chapter 1 . 9/3/2006
im always a sucker for poetry that has any little trace of musical vocabulary, and i have to say, you certainly did well with this piece.. i really could picture it as i was reading.

-naomi
Kaggr chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Sometimes my band is a storm! But there's never harmony...ah well. I think you really have to have an appreciation for both music and storms to understand...

"into a howling whistle as the rain-drums roll"

Perhaps that could be described as an extraordinarily high note on a flute! Or piccolo! I don't know. Way to go, though.
Oriel Vaughn chapter 1 . 6/21/2006
Lovely and magnificent. I've never thought of a storm in that musical sense, but you've got it down perfectly - how thunder is like a "celestial bass", wind like "hollow flute whispers"... and there's a grace in all those musical terms, especially "roaring fortissimo". Good use of short one-word lines at the end too. I can just picture myself in bed shivering at the storm outside! Gorgeous descriptions; great work :)
bjw chapter 1 . 6/17/2006
Ooh lovely. I enjoyed the references the music terms, there really made the orchestra-like quality of the poem come alive. Love the ending, especially he italicised "harmony". That was simple, yet profound, really moving. Love the lines "escalates the the symphony to a/roaring fortissimo" and "the night outside explodes with music"; they sent a thrill through me.

What's a hi-hat? And several nitpicks: I think "tapping" in place of "tap" in "a faint rain tap on the rooftop" would be better...and er, perhaps you could replace "taps" in "pelting taps on the window" with "rhythm"? "taps" sound too...meek, after the "crashing".

Nevertheless, it's well written, I enjoyed it very much. Storms are such powerful, thrilling, glorious sights of nature.:)

Do keep writing!
sylvia's syndrome chapter 1 . 6/14/2006
I love all the comparisons of different parts of a storm to different parts of a symphony. The diction in this piece is very rich and all the images are vivid. I like the way this poem mostly appeals to the sense of sound – in poetry, the sense of sight is usually favored, and this was a welcome change. Keep up the good work!