Reviews for The dead children at Ekaterinburg
sophiesix chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Strong effective narrative of a terrible moment in history - the murder of innocents just because of their unfortunate/fortunate birth. Does it make it worse somehow that they were princesses, that Alexei was sick, that they loved each other so much, that they'd been locked up for so long beforehand, that their famous dead faces were eaten away with acid and their bodies forgotten in mine shafts? maybe its just the idea that no one is safe from the complete inhumanity of organisations like the Cheka that makes this moment so awful.
CostumeForAGutterball chapter 1 . 5/20/2007
powerful! This is one of my fave royal families-your poem has an epic-scale quality about it that I adore!
littlest clouds chapter 1 . 12/4/2006
I love poetry on historical subjects. Interesting line breaks; I liked this the best:

Even in his condition, he might have made it

to twenty.

I noticed a few spelling mistakes, but nothing that detracted from my reading experience. I wish I could favorite this. :( Alas.
greenGalilee chapter 1 . 9/9/2006
Wow. I've never before read a poem about this. You've done wonderful work. The historical content told through the language of poetry and literature. I quite like it.
Rob Roy '03 chapter 1 . 7/12/2006
Painfully close to the bone - it builds a painful form of truth; it may not be perfectly factual, but there is such truth in it - and well-crafted. Harrowing, moving, intense and brilliant.
erised i chapter 1 . 7/11/2006
i have no words. it's so elegant, but still manages to portray how desperate and terrible the entire situation was. definately a favorite of mine.
Halcyon Impulsion chapter 1 . 7/5/2006
Excellent work. The tone and language match well, the words haunt and bring it all home.
Mass Hysteria chapter 1 . 6/27/2006
I think you would enjoy reading Robert K. Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra, if you haven't already read it.
Kassia chapter 1 . 6/23/2006
Wow this is sad and beautiful. And really visual. I could almost see the family in the basement. I could almost see said "jewels" sewed into their corsetts. And their dead bodies and the lockets. It was a lovely poem. When I finally decide to stop being lazy and log in I think I will add it to my favorites. ) Nice work!
Thurayya chapter 1 . 6/22/2006
Faithless Juliet, I particularly loved this one - I have a spcial fetish for Russian history and the Revolution. ) As usual, your poetry and style is astounding yet not overbearing.

'The Cheka firing squad undressed the girls; laid them out under the

moonlight so their light skin could attract the stars.'

I just thought that line was particularly powerful.

'‘The Saint!’ Alexandra called him,

‘The Profit!’'

Do you mean 'The Prophet?'

But this was very good, I'm glad you wrote it. )

- ala
shifter chapter 1 . 6/20/2006
Well done.
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 6/20/2006
sad and pwoerful.. beautifully described.. i might make this & the other poem about them one story with two chapters but thats just me
Thenardier chapter 1 . 6/19/2006
So descriptive, I love the images. Your ability to fuse facts in and craft it all beautifully is incredible. Nice piece of work.
lavenderfoxdaisy chapter 1 . 6/18/2006
great use of symbolism- and you use in a veru unique way. i like the way you've narrated this, as in nostalgia. really sensational
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 6/17/2006
Marvelously detailed and visual historical account. The way that you developed the historical context through the words, helps the reader understand the political-societal situation at the time of these events. A wonder how the legend persists that the one girl escaped, Anastasia I think. This grabs the situation well and accurately. Difficult topic to write about, yet you've done so with grace. Well written.