|Reviews for The Champagne Gang|
| jyottoor chapter 1 . 9/21
Absolutely adore the story! I come back year after year to read it
| bow ties chapter 23 . 11/30/2020
No matter how many times I read this story, every few years something always brings me back. I love Zach and Summer. I don't think there is a pair I enjoyed reading as much, ever. They are so gut wrenchingly real and imperfect, it makes them all the more interesting. It's a long shot at this point, but I always come back to see if you've updated. Take care!
| jyottoor chapter 4 . 8/19/2020
still love this book!
| Guest chapter 22 . 7/22/2020
Reread. I read this for the first time four years ago, when Fictionpress was long quiet. This was a personal favorite story of mine - still is - but I have some notes:
- I'm very concerned with Zach's weird Nazi thing. He has a poster of "Mein Kampf" and he defends Hitler? I'm sure he's not a racist (I had to review his actions constantly to be sure, though), but I'm still weirded out by the whole ordeal. Is he supposed to think Hitler is cool or a badass? Because that is extremely strange.
- Some of the things that the characters said to each other were just cruel. Rachael saying that she was glad that Summer's little brother died just because she hated Summer for abandoning her? What the hell is that kind of insensitivity and immaturity? I get she's a teenager, but Summer shouldn't have forgiven her so easily for that kind of shitty comment. Also, Zach's comments to Summer were so bitchy, oh my God. He can be apologetic, but there's no need to be so unnecessarily abrasive at every turn just to bug Summer into liking him.
- That said, one of the things that stands out about your writing is how realistic the dialogue is. The story itself could pass for a run-of-the-mill story of an oh-so-special girl going to a private school for the first time, but you're surprisingly painfully aware of this fact. I caught the snide comments you made toward your own writing and the clicheness of the story itself. I'm really pleased with the unconventional route you took with this - making sure that everything doesn't turn out perfectly.
- Another high point is your characters. I think I'm ruined because I can't read another story without missing how Zach and Summer's dynamic worked out. Even though Zach is quite a bitch, he was an interesting character, and the way he thought, the way he worked was just really fascinating to unravel. I would've loved to see more development of Roxanne's and the rest of the Champagne Gang's history.
- I was thinking about this while reading, but isn't it kind of fascinating that every character's lives doesn't exist just to tear Zach and Summer apart? They all have different lives and intentions and thoughts, like they're real people and not just plot devices, and it's clear that what happened between Zach, Summer, and Nathan was only a portion of what people thought of. That's what leaves me wanting more every time; I would've killed to see what Eve was really like, what Roxanne's life was like, how Shaya changed because of Thornton, how Nicole changed slowly, and what Ann felt like from their own points of views. God, even Nathan's parents had such a unique life that I would've loved to see their "Ross and Rachel" story. People are people, and not everyone revolves around developing their romance, and that is what makes your story so unique.
- The last chapter is just a masterpiece on its own. You should consider doing oneshots constantly, you're great at it. Your storytelling is exceptionally interesting because you have a way of spinning little details about someone, like what they smell like or what coffee they like, and writing them up smoothly, like they are just real people. That made the last chapter just so fantastic, the way you're able to capture emotions and thoughts and dialogue so well.
- I have some critiques for Summer's character. Her constant degradation of her socioeconomic status was kind of odd? Especially considering how her father is a doctor and they're at least solidly upper-middle class from the details she gives. Yet Summer treats herself as if she's oh-so-woeful and sad because she's just slightly not as rich as the millionaires. While I get that she's probably not used to extremely luxurious living, she needn't remind herself, the reader, and every other character how just not-like-them she is. The whole I'm-not-like-other-girls thing she has going on, elevated by slut-shaming of other girls in the story, was very hypocritical, but I think you're aware of that.
- The character development and the way you write Summer's narration - confusion and love and bravery - was truly lovely. I adored her monologues, now that I haven't skimmed through the story. I loved her speech at the end, and I loved that everything doesn't change just because of it.
In conclusion, I sincerely liked this story. It's not a quick read (took me two sleepless nights to finish) but it's a great one with a great message - choose love because you want to love, not because someone loves you. If you ever get an email from this review, I would love to see you continuing this universe one day, but I highly doubt that you'll get this review, seeing as how you haven't been online in a decade. Thank you for writing this piece of my childhood. I still think about this story from time to time.
| Guest chapter 23 . 6/16/2020
I absolutely loved this story. So sweet and put a spin on cliches
| Sabreal x2 chapter 23 . 4/9/2020
I reviewed this story ten years ago (that time, signed in.) And here I am again, as a 27yo reading it. This story has stood the test of time. It could've been written last year, frankly.
One difference though.
I don't know if it's do to age, but I cared less for Zach this time round (last time, I was declaring my love.) I was also amazed she was experiencing all this adventure at 15 years old.
I enjoyed Zach's jealousy, but he can be really cruel when he wants to be. Some of the stuff he said, it killed any liking I had. Also he read like a angsty teen sitcom character, as did Nathan, as did Summer, as did Roxanne. Though you did inject multiple layers in side characters like Rachel, so bravo.
Nathan was a generic guy, again from an angsty sitcom, but the best thing I liked, was he didn't resume a friendship with Summer.
Summer is also a girl who craves drama, I can't relate O.o
Overall, still a good story, I WILL revisit
I always skim read, because the word count is too much for me. I think I skim read 10 years ago, and I still skim read today.
But I cannot deny you have good storytelling skills, especially in characterisation. Description (of buildings etc) could be worked on, but that's me as a grown ass adult, looking back.
When I read this, I can tell you watched a lot of american TV shows lol, but to your credit, you made it your own, and something that can stand the test of time.
| Guest chapter 1 . 4/7/2020
Such a good story. Stayed up till 4am just to read it all in one go. Love it!
| Sylvia SparrowTounge chapter 22 . 12/3/2019
This story is one of the most well-written romances I’ve read, thank you for writing it. I love that the main characters are so well fleshed-out. It was cheesy at times, and I’ve had to put it down for bit because of the secondhand embarrassment sometimes, but it was so good that I finished it in two days. Again, thank you
| Guest chapter 23 . 1/13/2019
what ever happened to this idea? ;O
| Guest chapter 22 . 1/13/2019
come backkkkkk I miss these cuties
| A11SUNA chapter 22 . 12/17/2018
This story is one of the best romances I've read, in the short time I've been on here - although it will probably always remain on the top spot. You're such a good writer! I really wish that Curt could've seen Summer and Zach together, that would've been hilarious!
Thank you for providing such a wonderful story for everyone to read!
| Guest chapter 22 . 10/22/2018
Has to be one of the best stories here! I absolutely loved it and thank you so much for sharing it! I just wish you had one-shots to share what happens next and that things worked out with Nathan for Summer (as in being friends) and he got together with Roxanne. Also, more on Shaya. Nevertheless, great story :)
| ugh chapter 23 . 4/3/2018
I wish there was some way I could contact you personally and thank you for writing this story. I read this years ago and always find myself comparing any and every book I read to this one. I hope you're still writing wherever you are and you think about this story one day and surprise us all with a sequel or you write this story from another characters point of view (preferably Zach, ugh could you imagine what was going through his mind when he asked for a hotter waitress or when she kept popping up everywhere in his life, the first kiss, literally just every scene where he's hiding his emotions) and publish it so everyone can see what an amazing writing you are, and you get paid enough to continue this passion. I make up my own scenarios in my head of how these characters are and what they're doing now - is that weird? Anyway, I really do love this story and thank you for taking the time to write it! Hoping to see you pop up in the future one day, take care!
| kcigcicgujg chapter 22 . 4/1/2018
Years later and I find myself rereading this beautiful story. Hands down one of the best I’ve ever read. So well written and thought out, each and every character, every place, every emotion. You are extremely talented. I haven’t seen any of your work updated recently but I hope that where ever you are, you continuing creating worlds of your own and allowing people like me to visit them.
| hi-tanner85 chapter 1 . 1/31/2018
Hey there. I know you probably are not on here very often anymore but I just was notified of one of my stories being sold on amazon without my consent. I was scrolling through the other stories by the same "author" and Champagne Gang was on there. I remembered it from years ago, because I loved it that much. I just wanted to let you know, because its not right for your fiction to be taken away like that.
If you want to know more feel free to direct message me on here. Otherwise just look up Champagne Gang on amazon books and you'll see it there. Best wishes to you. I just sent a form in trying to get it taken down, we will see how it goes.