Reviews for Lady Liberty
SaRmelLexia chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
beautiful...there's nothing else i could say...i really like it esp. the last stanza..beautiful...

Lots of Love, Hugs n Kisses
Freed by Mercy chapter 1 . 7/19/2006
Beautiful and poignant. Thank you.
With Rhyme and Reason chapter 1 . 7/7/2006
Fantastic! It was getting a little tedious at the beginning, when you go on and on about how liberty is so constant. But then you snap out of it with 9/11: "Then came September." That one sentence-so powerful. Ten years ago it wouldn't have meant anything. But now...

"And beckons, a fortress against despair. / 'Come to me,' she says. It’ll be alright, I swear.'" I love these lines. Because they rhyme. And because Lady Liberty should never lie but she lies anyway. Just because you're in America doesn't mean you'll make it. Too many immigrants slip into slums and slurp slimy sludge. Okay, sorry. I got a little carried away there. But really: too many, too many.

The Statue of Liberty. So constant and unchanging. She beckons, she stands, she cries with the rain. But God... ah, even statues wept on their own when the two towers fell.

Great job on this poem. There are several layers to it. It's like a poetic, patriotic onion.

J
Halcyon Impulsion chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
Beautiful. My only suggestion is to re-consider using the word despair/despairing twice. They are not close enough to make it a rythmical repeat. The last three stanzas are especially beautiful :)
Bronzeage chapter 1 . 7/1/2006