Reviews for Talent
L.Z.A.K chapter 1 . 4/24/2009
this is just absolutely beautiful. I can literally feel the emotions spilling from the words that Im going to print this out and tape it to my bedroom wall so the world can feel it just as well.

I really enjoyed reading this poem the most among others that Ive read of yours within the last 10 minutes.

-Hatchet Rizer
Julius Gillian chapter 1 . 12/30/2007
I think because of your personality and talent, you're the most beautiful woman in the world. And nobody can take your place from that.

In my opinion being a poet is difficult. Nobody seriously considers it a proper profession because it has a lot to do with emotions, it's childish, and anyone can do it. Well, I once gave this guy a pencil and a notebook and told him to 'write me a story and come back to me' and he tanked it. I hate people that look at our work and see simple nonsense that they think an be replaced and placed down easily. They think 'all I have to do is put a few descriptive words together and someone will come along and relate/agree' boom, instant fame and glory. Idiocy.

I love your work, I wish I was near people like you with your ability. I often feel very lonely because I only meet people that can write, appreciate it, online. Normal people have the flu, we have writer's block. I remember you writing that to me once. I guess it's true. Alot of 'us' is different from 'them' and they just don't get it. We don't get them.

I hope to hear from you soon, and have a happy new year if I don't get to later on. I hope things are going well with your boyfriend.

- Julian
Viktrona chapter 1 . 10/19/2006
Creative...

Ja Na

Ruby
ctk86876 chapter 1 . 9/28/2006
I would think this is about you? Very well written (as always), its like a poets version of a self portrait, of course then some would argue that everything we do is a self portrait, a reflection of self.
Alyssa's Attic chapter 1 . 8/30/2006
This is one of your poems that i can relate to, understand and still be in total awe of, the last three lines end it perfectly, would i be able to use them as quote if i say it is from ur poem and by you? Everything is so thought out and put so well one of my favourtie poems so far i also love the lines about god "someone asked me once; if i believed in God and i said which one?" very captivating, would i be able to use that as a quote as well?
CostumeForAGutterball chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
you are talented, girl! Congrats - I love this poem!
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 7/26/2006
[The man made machine is pulling her hair again,] Even after reading the poem a couple times, I still don't get the whole "man-made machine" deal.

[getting up in the morning / to chicken scratch notes on the table / having to decipher my own mind] I totally relate to this part. Always when I'm writing, I have two documents open. One is my actual story, the other is just filled with a bunch of random notes. About three weeks ago or so I started writing my first novel, and my "chicken notes" document has gotten pretty big with random things about characters and chapter descriptions and my daily chart where I keep track of how many words I write each day. I've noticed with a lot of that stuff, and even with my "ideas" document, if anybody but me was to read them then that person would have absolutely no idea what it's talking about. Only I can understand them, which is the way it should be, I believe.

[Someone asked me once; if I believed in God / and I said: / which one?] I like this. I think it's clever.

[It is who I am, / who I have become.] Definitely. When you have that itch to write, when you feel a hole and a longing for something when you're not writing, that's when you truly are a writer. Some people just do it for the heck of it; they write for pure enjoyment. Those people tend to write whenever they feel like it. They might go weeks or months without writing. But real writers have to write almost daily. A good day is a day that I get a lot of writing done. If I only write three hundred or so words one day, then I feel guilty and ashamed.

[It started / with a toddler / scribbling lines in an old / catholic diary with a crayon / trying to imitate her mothers / squiggly cursive-filled check book.] Very cool stanza; very nostalgic. It brought back memories of my early childhood. I remember sitting at the kitchen table, watching my mom write in cursive. It was like some weird new langague; I couldn't understand it, even though I was just starting to read at the time. While my mom would be writing checks, I'd write cursive 'e's over and over on a piece of paper.

[It will end?] I find the positioning of these words very interesting. Most people would've worded it: "Will it end?" But the way you've worded it seems to change the whole meaning of the question. "Will it end?" is asking exactly what it's asking. However, "It will end?" sounds more like a statement of denial, or a comeback of sorts. It's as if the "Will it end?" question has been answered, and that person said "yes, it will." This is your reply, as if you don't believe it's possible.

[it’s easier for her to walk through the shadows / of others / then it is to meander through the looking glass.] Great lines. You always pick the strongest lines to put in your summary.

[I think: / if action is an angel / than destiny is damnable.] This stanza didn't really stand out to me the first time I read the poem, but it sure jumped out at me this time. I think that's one of the coolest things about your poetry: every read provides something new, as if you're reading some of the lines for the first time, even though you might've the poem five or six times.

I remember saying before that I really liked your long and rambling poems. That they always read like a genius's stream-of-conscience. I'm not taking that back, but I believe my fondness for those long and wandering poems is beginning to fade. Lately your best poems have been the more tightly-constructed, shorter poems that get their point across and then quickly leave, without sitting down and propping their feet on a table and eventually wearing out their welcome. I think if you're ever going to take your poetry to the next level, and become this great published poet that so many of your reviewers (myself included) believe that you can be, it will because of poems like "My Mother in Virginia" and not because of poems like this one, which seems a little too self-indulgent.

If this poem was shorter and tighter then it would be much better. But there's still a ton of great, and interesting, lines in this poem. I found the grammar (of LACK of grammar, actually) to be quite annoying. I believe poets on this site believe that grammar isn't important and they can totally ignore it, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Grammar enhances the poem-reading experience; it makes the poetry even stronger. Grammar also allows the writer to direct the reader's tongue. Tell us when to pause and take a break. Tell us when to keep reading until our lungs are screaming for air. Don't make us insert the grammar ourselves. And when you do insert grammar, make sure it's correct. No semi-colons where there should be a comma.

Anyways, write on, you beautiful, ugly, talented person, you.
sanguini chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
hmm. everyone has said what i wanted to say about your brilliant poem. i truly wish i can write as well as you do.
Rebecca Kelsey chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
This is an amazing poem! Rarely can I read a long poem straight through and not have my mind wander. The last two stanzas are my favorite.
Femme de Dieu chapter 1 . 7/15/2006
This is long and wandering, but so delicious to read for anyone whose writing isn't just something they do, but rather DEFINES who they are. "I write. It is who I am, who I have become."

It's as if she's trying to justify her own existence through the words on the page, or screen, the whitespace in between reality and fantasy, love and hate, "and her lines;(thin like air) will grow until they consume the pageshe’s staring at / empty but for the words spinning rhyme and riddle / am I winning? am I grinning?" Great!

"The oeverrated cliche of poetry, self absorbed, selfless." I've felt this way before. Almost as if I need to apologize for writing, especially poetry.

You do a wonderful job of describing the actions and reactions of those who write, what their inner life is like. "Truthfully, I hate it sometimes..." that stanza was so telling. We say we write for "ourselves," but we do want acceptance via our words, "I scan each face for its reaction," no matter how loudly we say we say we don't.

Well, I could go on and on, becuase there is so much to glean from this; however time is pressing me, per usual. But this was a wonderful descriptive piece that almost anyone who does "chicken scratch notes" could definitely relate to. I know I did.
lyricalprose chapter 1 . 7/11/2006
Beautiful and powerful. This piece truly captivated me as the images passed through my mind.

Awesome work.

I want to write like you when I grow up :)
the naked civil servant chapter 1 . 7/7/2006
i may be reading those last three lines completely wrong, but they are FABULOUS. i got praise/denial/resignation/hope/compensation. but then i have a complex. it was beautiful.
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
interesting... i like the hole talent thing
Fabian Cortez chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
Fantastic from the first to last breath of this work.

I can't praise this highly enough.

Straight to faves!

KEEP WRITING!

F.C
account not in use chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
This is a magnificent blend of contradictions, images, and fear.