Reviews for Who is God? And what would we be without Him?
la petite tourne-sol chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
Well, I liked it. A lot. Especially the trinity compared to light. LOVED that comparsion.

*looks out the window* "God is DEFINITELY creative!" About God being intelligent, isn't it amazing? How can people think it's an accident that we have a perfect atmosphere, are the right distance from the sun, and that somehow humans were formed out of molecules that just... well, we all know that story.

I think claiming our lives "pathetic" isn't the best way to put it. Short? Yes. Meaningless without our God? Yup, that's for sure. But, for those of us who serve, we have a meaning to our lives, we aren't pathetic, because God lives within us. And YES, we are insanely complex. Hahaha, we have our own mini-universe in our heads! Heehee... I totally agree,, I just immediately thought of my brain as a universe.

It's not so much He's good looking, as it is he's glorious, and that glory radiates off of His face, off of Him completely, and we're so... well, we're certainly not perfect without Jesus! It's like, when you walk out of a pitch black room into the light. Ow.

I would like to recommend a book to you, it's called "The Shack", and is by...William Young, I think.

Well, sorry about rambling, I was just trying to say, THIS IS AWESOME!

Galatians 2:20
Tiefling chapter 1 . 5/27/2007
This is the second essay I've read in which you start out by saying that it's 'high time' to address an issue which has already been addressed many times before. This makes you sound a little pompous, and could easily be avoided if you just read more and got a better idea of what's already out there before you started writing.

Your writing style's pretty good, and obviously you care about what you're writing about, which helps a lot.

" Look at the world you live in, then look at the beauty of it all, and then tell me that God isn’t creative. It’s impossible."

No it's not. Look: God isn't creative. There, I said it. Whether it's true or not is a matter of opinion, but it's certainly not impossible to think, say or write it.

"Second, God is intelligent. Look at the design of the solar system for example. Earth is at exactly the right distance from the sun that it doesn’t get too hot or too cold. Look at the placement of other planets."

Your logic is flawed. You are begging the question (ie. building into your argument the very thing you set out to prove).

"Then there is the fact that Earth is the only planet that supports life."

We have no way of knowing that. At best, you can say it is the only planet in the solar system that supports life. There may be many others in the universe.

"God is funny. "

I wonder whether Job's slaughtered family found it all funny. The Old Testament is full of strange contradictions and mixed messages. People, including children, get slaughtered all over the place in the name of a God you say is 'never malicious'.

"You might say we would be nothing, a void, emptiness even. But in all reality, those are concepts developed by the human mind."

Or you might say that God was a concept developed by the human mind.
The Intelligent Designer chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
Stick to religion, it's your strong point. I would disagree with several of your scientific statements. There are so many stars in the universe that the number of brain connections pale in comparison. We're talking 10 to the 30th power here. A million billion squared. (Drake's Equation, Cosmos by Carl Sagan) That's a rough estimate...also, Earth did look like the Moon at one point. It is the atmosphere that protects it from astroids, more or less. Perhaps you see this comment unimportant, but it is relavnt. You are using incorrect examples to state your point.

On the essay...it was very well written. All of your statements were supported by phrases from the bible, which I guess is considered a reliable source by most people...Anyway, you used effective language and delivered the essay well. Nice.
chocoholic chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
As an atheist reading your (well-written) essay I got several things from it. That god is an explainer of life, which cannot be explained by something more logical. That god is also a projection of what people want themselves to be - humourous, good looking, masculine. Mostly that god is a protection from that void-like nothingness you refer to. Should we face up to that ellipsis even though this achieves ultimatly nothing, an offers no comfort, or force ourselves to believe in something that when looked at either logically or culturally appears socially created?

I'm not trying to challenge or trivialise your views at all, just playing around with your ideas. :-) Overall, i really liked this essay. You managed to make it personal (which i guess was unavoidable given the subject matter)whilst still being informative and writing well.
No Trust chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
“First off, God is creative. Evidence is all around us for that point. Look at the world you live in, then look at the beauty of it all, and then tell me that God isn’t creative. It’s impossible.”

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

“Second, God is intelligent. Look at the design of the solar system for example. Earth is at exactly the right distance from the sun that it doesn’t get too hot or too cold. Look at the placement of other planets.”

That isn’t that impressive if you accept the idea that God engineered the laws of physics themselves.

“The gas giants in the outer half of the solar system deflect asteroids perfectly. Without them, Earth would look a lot more like the moon than it does. It’s quite effective. Then there is the fact that Earth is the only planet that supports life.”

God also created the asteroids, and is responsible for the setting very requirements for life.

“And God can comprehend it? That shows exactly how small our minds are in comparison.”

To the extent that our minds are small it is by God’s design.

“While God may be devious, He is never malicious.”

As malice exists in the world, it must be God’s will, therefore God is partly malicious to the extent that we can be said to be ‘real’ to God.

“God is loving and compassionate. John 3:16 says that God loved the world so much that He sent His only Son to die for it. That also shows God’s compassion for us. That He would send His only Son for us is incredible. And the best part is that it’s free.”

Of course God engineered the necessity of sending his son in the first place, and didn’t even lose him for more than 3 days, which is nothing in eternity.“ What would we be if God didn’t exist? Just the thought of it scares me. You might say we would be nothing, a void, emptiness even. But in all reality, those are concepts developed by the human mind. We wouldn’t even be that. This is what we would be…”

Begging the question.
Mbwun chapter 1 . 7/5/2006
I guess your other reviewer already said it, but you don't really address the question for most of the essay, and you don't really answer it for anyone but yourself. Which is okay, if that's what you wanted.
On Eagle's Wings chapter 1 . 7/4/2006
The title and summary of your essay don't really fit it - it doesn't really address those questions at all until the last paragraph or two.