Reviews for College To Success
theinvisiblewarrior chapter 1 . 9/14/2006
wow.. u have a predicament on your hands.. hey thanks for the review! and i love how you write all smart.. do you talk tht way 2?
Ashley Brook chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
Your essay said a lot of the same things my boyfriend says. Only, my boyfriend went to college for a year and hated it, so he dropped out. College isn't for everyone, and that is what the people who are saying, "Oh it will be the best years of your life" don't understand. True, college is a lot different than high school, but depending on where you go and your personality type, it can be just as annoying as high school. My boyfriend isn't really a people person, and he hated certain things like dorm life and dealing with roomates, annoyingly loud and wild frat boys and bitchy slutty women who only want the frat boys, meaningless and purely sexual relationships, and the cliques might still carry on and such. If you are more of a "to yourself" person, university is more than likely not for you and is more for those who are into an active social life. But of course, there is also community college and other types of schools that are more low key and you don't have to deal with a lot of those things. I don't know, it just depends. There's more than one option, though. But, like you were trying to say, if you can get the career you want by not going to college then I say you don't have to go, although you might want to at least try to for a semester just so you can say, "Hey, at least I tried it." Bah I'm rambling but the point is, do whatever makes you happiest and don't worry too much about what others think. If they are heavy on you for not wanting to go to college and think you are making a mistake, just tell them, "If I am making a mistake, let me worry about that. Sometimes people have to make mistakes in order to learn from them and know better for the future." They should back off a little after that. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
J'Adore Les Phoques chapter 1 . 7/9/2006
Hey, I agree with your idea that school blows. I do.

Um... I'm not sure where to go from here. Good for you for having a 'different' opinion [I guess... I don't really know]. Props!
SapphireIris chapter 2 . 7/7/2006
This is really kind of an ironic situation. College tuition prices are rising steadily, and yet, to make enough money to pay them off, you have to work almost nonstop for years. If you can pay for food, gas, and a place to live, why do you need to work your butt off? My mother takes care of four people on a $17 hour job, and never went to college. Awesome thought, and don't let anyone make you do what you don't want to do. And thanks for all the reviews, by the way ;)

-SapphireIris
Radyn chapter 1 . 7/7/2006
you could always drop out after one year of college if you don't like it. i'd say it's better to try it and then quit than not trying at all.

and while i'm at it, here's my plug for the University of Chicago. seriously, it's the best school ever.
M. K. Beckett chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
No yelling here, just some hopefully constructive comments.

First, college is lightyears different than high school, especially if you're living away from home. You'll find an environment (people, opinions, habits) that exists only on college campuses. It is bizarre and unique and fun. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and one that I'd bet you'd regret missing should you decide not to go.

Secondly, don't kid yourself. The job market is tough. It used to be easier to get a job without a degree but anymore, there are people with degrees out looking for work so someone that hasn't gone through the trouble to get the degree is fighting an even tougher battle.

Third, and this is a piece of advice you don't hear often but it is true. Unless you're going into Nursing or some specialized field, don't sweat so much what you major in. Get the degree in whatever, but just get a degree, then decide what you want to do. Again, if it's nursing or nuclear physics, then sure, get a nursing or nuclear physics degree, but if like you said you just want a job that pays half-way decent and a shot at a reasonably comfortable life, then get the degree in whatever interests you and then figure out what you want to do with your life. At least you'll have the degree under your belt. That says something to employers.

Fourth, don't assume you know now how you'll think down the road. This goes in part with what I said about just getting a degree, but it also goes in part with the idea that someday, you might decide that blue-collar isn't enough. You might come across a great opportunity and not be prepared for it. Take the time now to get prepared. You can do whatever you want afterward, but if you don't prepare, then the options are fewer and the regret can last longer than the four years it will take to get the degree.

One last thing. I've told this to several people, all of them college-bound freshmen who think four years is a lifetime. I experienced it and so did they. The four years you spend will be the most fun you'll ever have, and it will go by in a blink. All at once you'll realize that you're headed into your Junior year, you have only one more year after that and you're done. It goes by that fast. It might not seem so now, but trust me, it does. I'd go back and do it all again in a heartbeat.

Choose what you think is best, but give it a lot of consideration. That four years is just about the best investment in your future that you can make whether you use it or not, and who knows, you might just have a ball.
pianokeys chapter 1 . 7/5/2006
I feel your pain: I was an honor roll student too in high school, and got burned out from the honors thing by the time I was a senior in high school. College was a must for me too, and I was sort of indifferent to the whole thing ("okay - college - just another step in the process").

Bear in mind though, that college is a lot different from high school - especially a university. You don't have as much homework homework every night (unless you take math and foreign language courses): you write essays based on the things you talk about in class. As for liking to get in and learn by doing - there are programs out there (job opportunities, majors, classes, etc) that are more than lecture halls (particularly in the arts). I imagine that you've heard this before, but there are some really cool opportunities at college that you don't get in high school that I don't think you'd want to miss out on.