Reviews for Midnight Stranger
Totally Raven chapter 7 . 9/30/2006
Wow - just wow. Incredible. You just held me spell bound with this one. And I might say, I think Stranger damn well deserved that.

John ... that's Richard's man, isn't it?
The baava Project chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
Hello. :)

Your summary for this story intrigued me, for it's rare to have a tale set in a definite time period with nothing . . . added? (not sure if that's what I want to say) I wanted to see just how deeply into the 18th century you could take me.

Your writing is excellent (speaking as one whose is not so excellent, heehee). I like the easy flow you have, from narrative to dialogue. Nothing was forced that I could tell. I also liked the way you built your setting - you didn't say much, but what you chose to include says enough. I didn't want for anything description-wise.

The close of the chapter had me laughing. I wasn't sure what to expect from your author's notes, but it didn't play out in any way I might have. Too cute! The humor is subtle, too, which is nice. And, and this is due to an (seemingly) excellent grasp of storytelling, it wasn't out of place, either.

For the second part of my review, I'll add a critique or two. I don't have much to offer, and you may know of these things already. :)

[Richard could see his mark clearly fro the first time] Typo. FOR in place of FRO.

["No money," he peered over the stranger's shoulder.] Ah, I didn't think I'd have to touch on this. As a good rule of thumb for dialogue attribution and its punctuation: If the following (or preceeding) narrative contains some synonym of "said," then a comma or question mark should be used within the quotation marks. If it does not, such as in this example, then a period or question mark is necessary within the quotation marks. ["And no packs. You can't be travelling," The highwayman's voice was full of scornful amusement at the very notion.] Becomes: "And no packs. You can't be travelling." The highwayman's voice was full of scornful amusement at the very notion.

And on that note, I found it a little strange that the chapter opens up in Richard's POV, but as soon as "the stranger" labels him a highwayman, he is referred to as "the highwayman." It removed me a bit from Richard. Is that an effect you wanted?

["I should become I highwayman?"] Typo. A in place of the second I.

So far, I have really enjoyed this story! I should like to come back. So, if there's anything you would like or would not like in a review that I am or am not doing, please let me know.

Until then,

Yours,

the baobhansith
Lemon Delight chapter 6 . 9/17/2006
""We should never have met by daylight," Richard said abruptly.

"Why not?" The question was an angry demand, now.

"It makes us real," he explained curtly, folding his arms across his chest to ward off the morning chill. "It makes us accessible. We're not friends, Stranger." "
Totally Raven chapter 6 . 9/17/2006
I am shiny? Brilliant. And yes, I concur, school is a bitch. I aven't updated my in three weeks 'cause I'm up to my ears in finals.

Now then ... thwarted rebel ... has to be the best line I've read in ages.

Hehe... cannot wait to see how the next chapters works out. I have to know what Stranger did, exactly. Hehe, really good chapter.
multiples of six chapter 6 . 9/15/2006
What *did* Stranger do at the end there? :/ And how much does Richard mean this business-only thing? Grr. Anyway, great chapter, I hope you write more soon )
Lemon Delight chapter 5 . 9/6/2006
I was disappointed at the lack of kisses in this chapter but I suppose Richard couldn't steal kisses forever without Stranger stopping him at some point. Still, six kisses in payment might make up for it, though I've been forewarned on the kisses already!(boo I tell you, boo!) I'll just have to wait for my kissfix until the next chapter (cruel woman that you are!)

Much love for this chapter of course. Glad to see the plot moving along dearheart!
Totally Raven chapter 5 . 9/4/2006
Hehe. Great chapter, really.

At first I thought Richard was starting to get annoyed and bored with Stranger ... but then it seems like he's just laughing at him. So I don't know.

But I think Stranger is longing for more physical contact, despite what he says, hehe.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
multiples of six chapter 5 . 9/4/2006
Ooh, the plot really is advancing! The bargaining over kisses was amusing, but it sounds so dangerous. :/ I was reading the poem The Highwayman and it reminded me of this story.. haha. Anyway, update soon please! xD
Ayakaishi Fei chapter 4 . 8/28/2006
I love this, I've always enjoyed regency romance (I steal my mums as she has half a gazillion Georgette Heyer books) and this is such a lovely twist. I like Stranger, I really feel for him, and Richard is such a loveable scoundral, he does have a little bit of a Johnny Depp feel to him, but he's got such a lovely character. You have a real knack for writing believable characters. Can't wait to see another chapter of this.
Lemon Delight chapter 4 . 8/19/2006
Loved it and especially the end.

"Finally, Richard broke the kiss. "You don't get to blame me," he said, only slightly breathless, "If you don't pull away.""

Vereh spiffy. It's interesting how we know Richards name but know less about him then the Stranger whose name is still unknown. Purposeful?
Totally Raven chapter 4 . 8/18/2006
I reckon that's the best chapter so far. I feel bad for Richard now; that ending was really sad!
multiples of six chapter 4 . 8/18/2006
Ooh.. I never realized Stranger hadn't seen Richard's face, besides how they always meet in the dark. I'd be freaked out making out with someone if I didn't know what they looked like.. but yeah. And Richard has an ex, who.. broke his heart? Should be interesting. Update soon please )
multiples of six chapter 3 . 8/11/2006
I hope Richard will find out Stranger's real name soon.. it's super cute though, especially the end! xD
mem chapter 3 . 8/5/2006
"That's why I'm wearing gloves."

Much, much love for that line. Actually all interactions between Richard and the nameless boy inspired high pitched "squeeing!"

The nameless (ack this is awkward, can't wait for the name) boy is such a classic teenager. His whiny temper tantrums, general snarkiness, and "I am immortal, I fear nothing for I am a Teenager" sort of attitude(that last phrase was supposed to be witty but erm..) its so easy to relate to. Though of course I was/am nothing like that (cough) And oh how he's interested in what Richard looks like while trying to be really casual about it, thats just HA!

Just out of curiousity, why is footpad a synonymn for a highwayman? I haven't read many regency romances if not any except for your works and generally shy away from historical fiction, so basically clueless about terminology.
Ril chapter 3 . 8/3/2006
"Something illegal and immoral should always be sealed with something sweet."

M, too right, rather a perfect ending. I liked the chapter and the Highwayman even more. Now that your other reviewer pointed it out, he does remind me a bit of Jack Sparrow. That's not a bad thing.
73 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »