Reviews for Find an Identity?
Stiff Spines chapter 2 . 2/18/2009
Extremely well-written and you demonstrated your personal opinion well. But, I think what would've made this better is remembering the fact that there ARE some people with clinical depression who don't do it to be "emo." Yes, there are those that try too hard to be an individual, and cut & be "depressed" because it is "unique." You made it sound like that is the only reason there is for doing those things. I understand you may not have mentioned that because that's not the main idea of this, but I do understand where you're coming from. Sorry if it seems like I'm dwelling on this, but that assumption that people only cut for that very reason bothers me. And the handful of people that do cut for attention, as a whole, sicken me. But aside from that, I really liked it. You are an excellent writer.
Arn-The-Silent-Scream chapter 1 . 7/13/2006
I can hardly be bothered to wrıte a revıew of thıs. Your conclusıons are obvıous and trıvıal, your logıcal process barly logıcal or a process, and the complete lack of any real argument have left be dumbfounded. Can ıt really come as any surprıse that people change careers to fınd one they lıke? If am so absolutly fed up wıth thıs eratıc and thought deprıved regıon of dıscussıon. ''Whaa whaa I want to be an ındıvıdual, but ınstead of beıng an ındıvıdual I'm goıng to complaın about not beıng an ındıvıdual''. Your bıt on clothes was...wıerd and stupıd, you say yourself, ıt doesn't defıne you ıt expresses you. If a person chosses to dress lıke a goth ıt does not follow to say ''well they dress lıke a goth so I wıll assume that they are not a goth because theır clothes to not defıne them''. I really can't tell whether your advocatıng a detractıng from thıs whole ''ındıvıduallıty'' stupıdıty. If you want to be an ındıvıdual then be an ındıvıdual don't sıt around wıth your thumb up your butt tryıng to fıgure out HOW to be an ındıvıdual.
Ashley Brook chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for writing this! The whole idea of this piece is what I have been trying to get others to see for quite some time. And to make it even more valid, this is coming from someone who has been there, being in the whole 'trying to be unique" phase and gotten passed it. I was the same way at age 13 and 14. I dyed my hair orange, dressed in black, heavy dark makeup, and only talked to other 'dark' people and I acted like a bitch to those who were considered preppy, and I had the audasity to call myself unique, when at the time, I couldn't have been further from being truely unique. I thought I was the icon of anti-conformity and mocked anyone wearing JCrew or A&F for being sheep, when in reality, I was just as much of a sheep as anyone, if not more. So around my sophmore year of high school, I realized how truely uncomfortable I was dressing and being 'dark.' I realized that it just wasn't me and the whole time, I was being a poser. So I started dressing in clothes I felt more comfortable in and stopped obsessing about being unique. I realized that it's more important to just live your life in the moment and have fun, and be the best person I can be. I don't care if something I like conforms or not, I just do and like whatever I feel. Anyways, I'm done rambling. Excellent post and it's definitely going in my favorites.
Forsakn chapter 1 . 7/8/2006
Well said, and congratulations. Not many people can make it to the end of this journey.