Reviews for The Casimir Effect
Bob Evans chapter 9 . 8/9/2006
Brillaint! Pure genius! You have created an work of art! Keep writing!
warnthepenguins chapter 1 . 8/7/2006
Hey, there's some real potential here. I like the stuff toward the end, inside the black hole. Pretty colors! And a nice enough main character, though not immensely developed at this point.

I have more trouble swallowing the invented science. "Antigravity particles"? C'mon, man. At least make some shit up about muons or gluons or the Strong force or something. Why not an antigluon? That at least sounds soothingly realistic.

Also, you know that if they were gonna do this, any space program except maybe the Russians (and yeah, probably even the Russians) would send a good many probes and unmanned crafts through such a wormhole before committing a highly trained astronaut and an absurdly expensive ship to such an endeavor.

Also: no space program would consciously name its flagship project "Icarus." It's like christening your airship "Hindenberg II."

Those caveats aside, pretty cool.

P.S. If you want to read the rest of Ace High, that's totally cool; I've got a lot of it done but not all. Give me your email address then?
Marinus chapter 2 . 8/5/2006
Dun dun dun! And so the plot thickens! I liked this chapter too, but mistakes are creeping in:

'upon the Casimir Engines activation' - should be 'Casimir Engine's'

'the wormholes stable' - there aren't two wormholes, are there? Should be 'wormhole's'

Also, the technician says 'Casimir engine running at 100 efficiency.' One hundred what? Per cent? (I'm guessing this one), gravitons? casimirons? Pink elephants?

'towards the mouth of the wormhole' - you need a comma after the word wormhole and to lose that capital letter on 'spoke.' I don't think it should be spoke, either. try 'said', or 'commented', or something.

You also don't need a capital on the word 'gamma.'

'but it doesn't seem to be affected the Icarus in any adverse way' I believe you mean 'affecting' here.

'as Icarus 1 picked up speed' is the 1 here a typo or intentional?

'Icarus integrity still at 100' - 100 what, again. Also, punctuation at the end of the sentence.

'Yes whispered the project manager' - comma after the yes.

'do it for all of us' - full stop after the us.

'6 metres and closing' - again, a full stop and a capital T for 'this'.

'not daring to breath' - should be 'breathe.

'Is it possible the wormholes closed behind him?' - should be 'wormhole's'

'He felt a large head ache coming on' - headache is all one word.

'Of course its possible' - 'its' should be 'it's' and there should be a comma after possible.

'Which should of held up the wormhole' - 'should have', not 'should of'

'passed through' - full stop at the end of the sentence.

Mostly very minor nitpicks, to be sure, but I think they might need addressing. Still, this is a very good plot thickener chapter, in my humble opinion. Wish my SF was as good.

Keep writing. Or else you will get no truffles.
anonymous chapter 8 . 8/5/2006
WOW! This story's amazing! One of the best sci fi stories I have ever read. You should continue this AWESOME story!
Bob Evans chapter 5 . 7/19/2006
Oh, this just keeps getting better and better. The aliens are of curious nature, and I have a feeling they know something about why the mission failed. As for your subatomic mystery, keep up the good work. Quantum Mechanics is always fun to read about from another's point of view, and you are doing a great job.
Dachande663-ff chapter 4 . 7/18/2006
Judging by that unusual line I'm guessing there is a prophecy or some such thing connecting John to this world. Another good chapter, a few typos (mainly missed spaces), but nevertheless, a good chapter. Update soon.
Bob Evans chapter 3 . 7/17/2006
This is pure story is genuis. I can only bring praise to what I've read, and can hardly wait till the next chapter. This is certainly a good piece of Sci-Fi. I am amazed at the detail and science you've put into this. Keep writing, and keep up the good work!
Dachande663-ff chapter 3 . 7/17/2006
Noo! I need to know what they are. You have got to update ASAP.
Marinus chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
Superb. A simply superb start to a story, bloodtide. I look forward to reading more in the (hopefully very near) future.

One thing, though: you used the word 'principals' instead of the word 'principles' when the Casimir Project scientist was giving Roy his briefing.

Keep writing.