Reviews for The Yak Effect
huimei chapter 1 . 6/2/2010

welcome to our website is :
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
I agree with your general premise that the world would be completely different were the past have occured differently. After enough time has passed, even small differences THEN could mean large differences now. This is true about WW2 as much as any other time period in history (or today, even).

But I guess I don't really understand what's got you so riled up. What's done is done. It would be foolish to forget it, because the effects of WW2 (for example) are wide-spread and still continuing in diluted form today, but it's equally foolish to base all of our current socio-political arguments upon things that happened the better part of a century ago. Fine, yes, I agree. SO WHAT? What started this rant off in the first place? I guess that was my biggest question coming out of reading this essay.

Also, having read a few of your essays now, I've noticed a few things in general:

1.) The grammar and writing style is excellent. From a purely technical perspective, your essays are gorgeous!

2.) You have an EXTREMELY argumentative (even offensive) tone in all of your essays. Now, you'll probably say you don't care, but just remember that the more people you turn off based on the WAY you say things, the fewer people you impact with your writing. If I think you're a bastard because of the way you write, I'm less likely to finish reading your essay (and certainly not about to read another). Again, you might say you don't care - but that's clearly a lie. If you didn't want to make an impact, you wouldn't post your opinions publically. *shrug* I guess I don't see what you're gaining with your harsh, uncompromising tone. Do YOU?

Take care, and thanks for your review a few days back,

-Ruatha
tofujunky chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
You ungrateful ass! Our soldiers are giving their lives over in the Middle East right now to protect your freedom and this is what you do with it! Let me tell you something here, buddy: you offered nothing but a perceptive and astute analysis, and your arguments are merely logical and tenable opinions. The cyclopean balls you must have to suggest such legitimate points! You make me sick!

"By any strictly probabilistic standard, you should not exist. You are an accident of history."

Okay, that was very funny, but you still make me sick.

-tofujunky
No Trust chapter 1 . 8/1/2006
Indeed, I obviously assume the reader's cares somewhat closely match the basics of human decency. The main thrust of the essay however is not refutable by appealing to relativism.

You spelled existentialist correctly.
Mbwun chapter 1 . 7/29/2006
No Trust, the existentialist historian.

(I don't think I spelled that right.)

Ultimately, why do we care about anything? Everything is a fabrication; the world only has the weight and worth we assign to it. This is true of everything, not just history. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Good point about the Slut Factor.

Arffle garffle.
No Trust chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
People who offer "criticism" identical to points or caveats I myself offer in my essays help to complete my day.
SirScott chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
We always owe the people of the past for the world today. If someone did not plant food in the spring, you would not eat in the winter. What is done in the past effects the future. The question is not whether we owe the people of the past anything, for we do, but the question is what do we owe the people of the past? I suppose we give it to them.

Another statement that is weird is that you said we are accidents of history, but is that really true? The universe is governed by an unseen power. It is debatable as to what this unnseen power is, but it exists.

To say that we don't the people of the past is a shallow statement. I loved how you wrote the words slut factor; why are women that share the goods freely with men called a foul name? Isn't sharing a virtue? Wishing You Good Health And Plenty Of Wealth, SirScott
Mireille Caelarily chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
Hmm... Impressive and thoughtful. Worth future consideration on my part. By the way, am I right in assuming that you have read the Pinball Effect?