Reviews for Paper Flowers
Halcyon Impulsion chapter 1 . 11/28/2006
Trying to catch up on my summer reading (finally). This is one of your best I think. It's not too sweet, and the anguish and desire are well-balanced. Wonderful character piece.
classic violet chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
Gorgeous! I love the title, this poem is just wow! Pretty and so sad.
With Rhyme and Reason chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
"Just a broken, beautiful boy who used to be so much more." Great line. It sort of sums up the entire poem, doesn't it? It simultaneously brought up images of the loss of innocence (as an English major I'm forced to be obsessed with this theme) OR just straight, good ol' depression. One of my best friends is three years younger than I am, and he's a boy. When we were growing up he was the coolest person I knew, and I was madly in love with him. But as he's now a senior in high school, his mind seems to have darkened with life. I know, I know: your poem isn't about high school. And life really isn't THAT hard for a senior. But the way you describe this "broken, beautiful boy" reminds me of my friend.

The paper flower imagery is great. You carry it nicely throughout, instead of obviously dumping it when it tires you. "I can only hand him paper flowers. / He won't let me do more." Yeah, so there's a certain sense of fakeness on both sides: the persona gives him PAPER flowers, and earlier he gives her a FALSE smile. It sounds like someone needs to see a relationship counselor. :)

Nice job on this one.

J
Puella Caeli chapter 1 . 7/13/2006
this is gorgeous. i especially love the lines "His wings—stained glass and velvet—are wilting / And I can only hand him paper flowers, / Waiting to wipe away the tears." that feeling of wanting to help so badly but you just don't know how anymore... so painfully beautiful.
forgottenxxfreak chapter 1 . 7/13/2006
this is really good...sounds similar to what my friend is going through right now. good job, keep it up.