Reviews for My Mother in Virginia
lovelikeamixtape chapter 1 . 1/6/2007
i always appreciate uniqueness, & this poem definitely has that. you have a lovely style & you weave beautiful images.
i brake for franzy chapter 1 . 11/4/2006
Absolutely beautiful. It seems like the imagery actually takes you back to that time. Such realism...I encourage you to keep writing; you have such amazing poems on your hands!

c&l
sharpedgedpen chapter 1 . 8/10/2006
This is one of the better things I've read today. It's words are beautiful, with a striking meaning behing them. Keep up the good work!
Fabian Cortez chapter 1 . 8/7/2006
Beautiful, so may standout images here I'd need to post the whole poem in the review to make the point. Yet the very last line speaks volumes.

Excellent as always.

Very Very Well Done!

KEEP WRITING!

F.C
Elenive chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
When I read this, it seemed that the images were in almost a summer haze. You know, when the sun hits your eye just right, and you can still see, but everything had this golden, soft, haze? This is what I saw, along with flowers blowing in the wind.

Elenive
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
I relaly love the transition here from the times.. and the last line.. is great
Biting My Nails chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
Beautiful.

I love your style and everything you do is beautiful.

...I think one day, my favorite list is going to be all your work.
poetic abortion chapter 1 . 8/3/2006
It unsettles me in the most brilliant way possible.

I love the way you weave in song-titles like that - it is something I've recently tried to do but never fully got down well - and I love the whistful, near nostalgic way this makes me feel; it beautiful and pretty and so amazing in so many ways.

I love it.

* Noelle
ExcuseMeWhileIKissTheSky chapter 1 . 7/28/2006
i wish i could describe to you how much i liked this one.

Write on!
Prevaricate chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
I can't point out everything I like about it, but I will say this: searching for rusted civil war nails. searching for a better time. It's tragic and such a brilliant image.

I love your style.
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
[Our hair was braided down our backs like flower petals -] Great line. No wonder you put it in the summary.

[We sang: ‘OH SUSANNAH’ by the river bank] These two songs that are sung in the poem: "Oh Susannah" and "Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier" ... I wonder if they're actual songs.

[(hosts to lavish diseases)] I love the word "lavish" here. To me, it's such an elegant word, even slightly sexy. And for it to appear with "diseases" is unexpected, and cool. And it even kinda goes with the whole sexy vibe of the word "lavish," as if saying these diseases aren't just you're average cold and flu symptons, but a little more ... sexual.

I'm trying to decide which is my favorite stanza: the Indian boy stanza or the "Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier" stanza.

Okay, I pick the Johnny one. I just love the image of the mother digging through the earth for rusted nails.

[Infectious when in her search of what she calls, ‘a better time.’] Another cool word choice with "infectious." It kinda goes back to the whole "lavish diseases" line.

This poem has a very cool feel to it. I felt like I was watching an old movie that took place around the time of the Civil War. I could see the dresses and hear the accents and everything. Very cool.

I've never been to Virginia, but this kinda does remind me of the old Virginia, like back in the days of Roanoke and such.

Very nice poem. Very vintage. You totally nailed the I-Just-Stepped-Into-A-Time-Machine feel. And even though the poem doesn't feel like one of yours poems at first, the more you read it, the more you can hear your distinctive voice; it's just buried and unrecogonizable at first because of the accent, and the clothes, and the decade.

Excellent job. Write on, Juliet
Hazeleyed Everglades chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
Wow. Just... wow.

I don't fully everything that happens in the poem, but it still stuns me into light-headedness. I've been to Virginia before, briefly, but this doesn't call to mind images of the Virginia I saw. More like a Virginia that... that is harder to find. Not even *just* Virginia, but anywhere that is dissapearing with the passing decades and can only truely be remembered with thoughts of "a better time."

In any case, beautiful work. Great job.
the.pink.life chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
Interesting. You paint a strange picture here, and yes, it does remind me of Virginia, though I've never been there myself. This is something I would picture when I'd think of Virginia. The images are clear - I can actually see the mother riding sidesaddle. (Random note, but this made me think of a bunch of songs from Tori Amos' album 'Scarlet's Walk.' You should check it out, because it's an amazing album, and you might enjoy it.) Keep writing! :)
breezy nostrils chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
interesting...especially with the braids. nice work.
account not in use chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
it unsettles me. my favorite of yours.