Reviews for B a l l e r i n a s
Laura Elizabeth chapter 1 . 2/28/2007
Your stereotyping is pretty accurate from what I've seen having taken ballet for seven LONG years. I actually ended up quiting because my life wasn't dance and I wasn't the "typical ballerina" aka I wasn't skinny enough... I liked this... even though some people don't want to believe that it's really like this it is... not all the time but sometimes horrible things like that consume people.

Thanks for writing this... It's something I understand completely and I salute you for being so bold to talk about it!

this was great,

TheTragicEnd aka Laura
Rosanna28 chapter 1 . 9/30/2006
Beautiful poem you have here. Though I don't think all ballerinas are like that. But yeah, sadly there are girls out there who think like that. Who get pushed like that. Makes me sad. But yeah, good job here!

Much love, Rosanna.
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 8/25/2006
I like this.. the format is powerful and the piece is sadly so real and amazing
Chaos Apple chapter 1 . 8/9/2006
This was quite good. I liked the thought behind it.
Leaving Here chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
i like it. i truly did. i don't pity those who do that... i just hope they learn the glad you you wrote something like this. its very truth(no lies)...~Liz
Infinity Plus One chapter 1 . 7/31/2006
Having been dogged by anorexia in the past myself, I can understand the need to be thin. This poem reflects it well - the horror of having eaten something more than 100kcal a serving.

Just don't go there in real life, it's not at all enjoyable.
pale doll chapter 1 . 7/30/2006
It's great to read from you again! I really love this poem, it's amazing. It's really scary but exciting at the same time. I am obsessed with ballerinas and how skinny they are, but it's sad that some of them actually do this to theirselves. I can't wait until you write more!
pleasecometrue chapter 1 . 7/28/2006
Great write.
method acting chapter 1 . 7/28/2006
You changed subjeccts on me. Intentional? I've done it before in pieces, to show the changing titles of the intial subject...but I'm not sure here. Maybe it's pretaining to your life? The stanzas are too disjointed I think. As far as your own typing, I don't care, but...it's 'you' not 'u' in literature. I adore abstract formatting, but this bit seems a little too much. Maybe? I don't know. I think it messed with the flow a bit. And I don't like how you sterotype. I'm a dancer. I know the pressures out there, but the image you're portraying is that all people who strive to become ballerinas in certain companies are so as to become anorexic. Apparently, you don't give a fuck though. Super. You know what's crazy though? Dancers don't eat much, you're right...but it's physically impossibbe to do the amount of work that they do on that much food. Isn't that insanity? Well, nice job. Next time ease up on the format.
Ashes.to.Acid chapter 1 . 7/28/2006
It formatting seems a bit overdone - not to sound critical of abstract in general, since I write abstract myself, but the constant overdosing on "t.h.i.s" seems drastic. The included net speak seems out-of-place as well, though the only place I notice it is "u" instead of "you".

Also, the breaks between the stanzas seemed too spaced...

The idea was good, but next time, just make the abstract smoother.
Annaece's Forsaken Corpse chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
Hey, it's been a while! lol. I really like this piece, but i think the format could have been better...& maybe a different food...i mean like a brownie or something, lol. good still & you're making a strong point. teachers can be pushy.

now: you seriously liked 'posion free'? i'm surprised b/c it had Christian undertones. 'perfect for you' is better & it deals w/ eating disorders, too. so read that if you don't mind reading a poem asking God for help...
verifyme chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
Its just sad when people think they have to be super skinny to be perfect, That is when someone lets the world control them, and not their own heart. You know what I mean? Eh, probably not, but nice poem.
queenvixta chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
Whoa...so powerful. I can relate to this situation because my friend went through the same thing. I don't think you're stereotyping because this does happen and it sucks. Great poem and it's so good to have you back! Vix x
plural chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
This is one of the poems that make me think, "Why did you ruin its beauty with ugly formatting?"

I suppose I can see why you'd italicize and bold some of the text. That's okay sometimes, although it can be a little much. But why put full stops between every letter? That's (for lack of a better word) ugly and it disrupts the flow, both of the word and of the poem.

Similarly, the "o.m.f.g" takes away from the grace of the poem. Just write it. If you want to say "oh my fucking god", just say it. There's no need to abbreviate that in your poem. It's 'Net speak and that doesn't belong in poetry.

Also, when you use "grace" at the end of two lines in a row, it doesn't sound as good. Can you come up with another word to replace grace in one location?

But other than those complaints, I really like this poem. Its presentation is not so good, but the poem itself has potential and I enjoyed reading it.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
I hate it. You're trying to be (what I like to call) superficially poetic. You're not e.e. cummings clever. There was no clear purpose at all with doing t.h.i.s and putting words in bold.

And not all ballerinas are anorexic and unhappy, so stop reinforcing the stereotype.