Reviews for The Catastrophic Consequences of Cinderella
Amy C chapter 1 . 10/13/2007
Wow...this is a really good story. I never thought of Cinderella like that, but if you think hard enough, then what you're writing is true. Little children should learn not to depend on someone else to make their life better, but to depend on themselves. And, if I may use another Disney movie as an example, Belle from Beauty and the Beast didn't depend on any men to save her or take care of her, she was an independent woman who ended up taking care of one of those "princes" that the other princesses depended on.
Smooth Operator chapter 1 . 10/8/2006
VERY nice modern perspective. But have you thought of embellishing on it? You're on target on how girls are taught (Or brain washed rather) from birth on what's important in our society & the Cinderella story should teach us a lesson in materialsm & stereotyping. But it also shows "Pretty IS is pretty does" The stepmother & step sisters are plain with nasty dispositions. This story always reminds me of the good witch in the Wizard of Oz when she said... "Only wicked witches are ugly" Now that doesn't sound right. I've known some plain looking people with charm out their kazoola. Then again, attractive people who were NOT to be trusted. You talk about a catastrophic consequence. No wonder most kids have issues with step parents.

In short, you can REALLY elaborate on this. Think about it and see what happens

Smooth
Formerly chapter 1 . 8/10/2006
All I know is that the other day I saw a really excellent Spanish Cinderella (that's Spanish as in "From Spain," for all you dimwits who refer to Mexicans and Cubans as Spanish but Spaniards as European). That was enough to make me like the story again.
Vivix chapter 1 . 8/10/2006
You forget that Cinderella did what she did because she was following her father's orders, who told her to obey the stepmother. Which she does. An admirable trait, obeying parents. However, people only focus on the idea that movies brainwash kids and cull the topics that seen to reflect negatively in today's culture. It's unfair to pick out some ideas from a movie of yesteryear, and blame today's problems on it.
HOLLANDDVAOL.com chapter 1 . 8/7/2006
I agree with your view, but it would have been expressed better with more than one example; Cinderella alone is not enough to explain any lack of that, good essay