Reviews for Aleksandr
MittensInSummertime chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Oh wow. In American Studies this year, we learned about Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, and we had to analyze some of the texts he wrote and how they affected the Soviet system. We never really discussed how his imprisonment and return affected him, or personalized him as a victim/leader. You did that for me, and because of that, I enjoyed this poem... especially because I am familiar with the subject matter (I believe this is the Aleksandr you are referring to.) First, this poem captured the history of the time period perfectly, and created the setting in my mind... first of the streets (dirt roads, well worn but cold) and second of the gulags, in Siberian plains where they vanished with locomotives' (1940s-50s connotation) smoke. Your word choice in capturing these settings was excellent. You also clearly depicted two separate Aleksandrs: pre-Gulag and post-Gulag. That was outlined with wonderful imagery in the beginning: a chimney-sweeper king wreathed in soot and clay, in mortar-dust. You then led into the setting, then you described the difference in the time lapse by saying the children couldn't remember him from boyish, striking, hardy captain's looks. Very clear-cut, and very powerful. I also loved the alliteration in the line(s) "looks,

now chiseled by the chips that prison took." It helps the flow of the poem, and continues in the distinction between the two Aleksandrs. There's much more to be said, but overall, I really liked the historical theme of this poem, and I can tell that you are very knowledgeable (I actually had to look up Murmansk and Mariinsk.) Good conclusion, and though I wasn't quite hooked from the start, I was definitely hooked by the end. Great work.
imcherish08 chapter 1 . 3/31/2008
Hum, I'm not very good with poetry interpreting. *Not deep, Ha!*

Here's what i got from it:

The "chimney sweeper king" refers to maybe the leader of a country, or some kind of leader who has to clean up "soot" ( with soot being the problems of the world). In a way the chimney sweeper is like a savior to the people covered in soot. Oh, look at me being deep! I hope i got that right...

It made me think and that's why i liked it.
Le Cosmonaute chapter 1 . 10/18/2007
Amazingly written! This is just beautiful, and the line breaks and word order is neat to read, as well. It's, for lack of a beter word, powerful, deep, etc. Good work, here.
reluctant writer chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
Like the transition between Aleksandr before and after. The subtle rhymes were well-done, as was the ending.