Reviews for Spark
Orbit chapter 1 . 12/19/2006
ahahahaha no one in particular?

useful review i know.

have u ever thought of writing poems in forms?
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 10/6/2006
I haven't done much writing over the last couple of months, and I've done even less reviewing. I just spend the last couple of days reviewing citrus-scented's "whore" series. Even though her poetry is often a little rough around the edges, I love it because it almost always tells a story. And, well, I like poems to feel more like a short film than some abstract piece of art. I want to read it and know what I just read. I don't want to have to dissect and analyze it. Unfortunately, people tend to think that the more confusing a poem is, the more genuis it is.

I think some of your pieces tend to be a bit abstract, but not really. They're not like a short film either. They're just paintings, works of art. Readers interpret them different ways. You, Beti, are a true poet. You write artistically, using metaphors and symbolism. Being lazy and stupid, I'd prefer you to write more straight-forward, but then it doesn't really feel like poetry, does it? So, anyways ... have I told you that you're awesome lately?

This is a good poem. I can't give a good review for it because I'm too lazy to dive in and really get into the imagery and whatnot. From an aesthetic point of view, though, I can definitely stand back and admire this poem. Your way of words, your command of language, your beautiful imagery, intelligent figurative language, it all astounds me.

Almost every time I read one of your poems I'm like, "Why is this on FP? It should be in some literary magazine!" I don't know if you ever submit your work, but you totally should. You're the most talented poet on this site. I know there are a lot of other talented poets on this site, but your work feels the most professional. Many others fall into this diary-entry phase and are probably a little too ... loose ... to be published. Your poetry feels modern and "hip," but not in a way that rejects all the basic fundamentals.

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

And I just realized that this whole review barely touched on your actual poem. I apologize.
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
I love the metaphor in the last stanza... niely done
With Rhyme and Reason chapter 1 . 8/17/2006
Very good. You seem to choose each word very carefully. This makes you stand out because a lot of poets write poetry like they're talking-using colloquialisms, etc. My favorite phrase here is "calm blue depths / murderous rings, a sunny border / steam still threatening to scald."

The one criticism I have is about your sentences. It seems like you try to form coherent thoughts by throwing in random periods. "Coherent" and "random" don't usually play off each other. But in a away your weird punctuation adds to the mystery of the poem and the odd and pleasureful uneasiness coursing through every line.

Overall, VERY nice work with this.

J