Reviews for Blue Jessica
Lady Fingers chapter 1 . 12/23/2007
"Blue-If this is shameless then i am shameful..."

beautiful.
Oath chapter 1 . 6/28/2007
you're the best poet on this site. you give me faith. you inspire me with your words. this was poem was so raw and beautiful, it upset me. your words are so much more.
fictitious facades chapter 1 . 4/22/2007
tragically beautiful. beautifully tragic.
fergyness chapter 1 . 3/5/2007
this is absolutely wonderful.

i was on the verge of tears.

you have such a passionate and beautiful way of writing anything.

please continue.

]
nine iron chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
Beautiful, heartfelt, honest

True talent and real emotion fuel such a wonderful piece.

I am still as much a fan of yours as I ever was.

Keep writing please!

Nine Iron
dafodil-faerie chapter 1 . 2/15/2007
Terribly sad yet amazing. It must have been hard for you to write about this which made it ever more powerful
C. Earnshaw chapter 1 . 1/8/2007
The first nine lines... wow. Just incredible. The concept of being "three years older then you'll ever be". It's so thought-provoking and profound, but, at the same time, painful and saddening.
Moon-Chaser chapter 1 . 12/3/2006
Wow, I don't like the colour blue (for reasons of my own) either. This was very powerful, the touch about being three years old was a very powerful thing for me.

Keep it up.
And Your Little Dog Too chapter 1 . 11/26/2006
pretty powerful written stuff :) Nice going on this
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 11/20/2006
I'm glad I received a review from you. Otherwise I might've thought you had left this site. You haven't posted in a month and a half, which is very unlike you. I sometimes go two months or more without posting, but you usually post at least a couple times a week. I hope this doesn't mean you've stopped writing ... or even that you're writing less. I doubt that's the case, though. I mean, I sometimes wait two or three months after I've written a piece before I ever get around to posting it on here, so I hope you've got a buttload of poem you're just waiting to unload on us.

Anyways, I just came from Youtube where I'd been watching this Guns N Roses clip over and over and over. It was a video from one of the "new" GNR's performances overseas this past summer. The clip I was watching was of one of their new songs, that's supposed to be on their album, Chinese Democracy, once it finally hits stores one day (it's like thirteen years in the making). I've been feelings kinda down lately, and the song has lyrics that I can take solace in: "What I thought was true before was lies I couldn't see / What I thought was beautiful, is only memory." Anyways, the only reason I'm mentioning any of this is because the song is called "The Blues."

Which brings us to this review of "BLUE Jessica."

Man, I never realized how depressing and gloomy the color blue can be. I guess when I think of blue I think of water. Kinda like when I think of green I think of grass. And when I think of brown I think of dirt. Everything's very earthly. And I guess because water is so essential to life, I think of blue in a positive light (although if you think about, water is more clear than it is blue). But the sky is also blue ... and when I think of the sky I think of heaven and angels and stuff. But in this poem blue is very depressing and sad- very melancholic.

It isn't surprising, though. Like I said, I just never -realized- how gloomy blue can be. But it goes back to that song and the whole idea of having "the blues." Now, because of this poem, I see all these blue-tained images that are morbid and depressing. I see someone drowning. I see someone choking. I see a bruise- all purple and blue. I see a corpse- all pale and blue. I see myself sitting in a corner, feeling sorry for myself, listening to the rain beat against my roof- such a day as that is always considered yucky and nasty; and if you look outside it's always dark and blue (and not to mention gray, too).

No longer do I see blue as the ocean and life. I see it as depression and death.

[If this is blue / then you / are dead / and I am three years / older then you’ll / ever be] I saw someone say in their review that they didn't quite understand this. I don't know why. It seems blatantly obvious to me. You and Jessica were obviously the same age- and as it says on your profile, Jessica died in the year 2003; this is 2006, so, um, yeah, three years ago. Oh, and I was so caught up in the actual poem I hardly paid attention to the small misspelling. The second "then" should be "than." "I am three years older THAN you'll ever be."

[writing a poem / on the eve of / symphony] Those are really cool lines.

[we / little girls / taught to hold our backs / taut,] I really like the word "taught," yet I rarely hear or see it used.

[let our limbs / not shift uncomfortable / into our sister-shells] I really like these lines also. And I can't help but see the image of a turtle.

[Let brother not be / wraith-like, and men / no longer snake-like] This reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what exactly. It's kinda like a chant, or a prayer. Not a church type prayer, of course, but more of a hold-hands-around-a-fire-in-the-middle-of-the-night type prayer. It's more cult-like. Wiccan, even. And it definitely fits with the "hollow blue moon" imagery that follows in the succeeding line.

[the blue backlash of / breath - your last. The blue ocean, / blue tears.] Ah, there's more depressing blue imagery I didn't think of earlier: a person crying. And these lines really make me wonder how Jessica died. "the blue backlash of breath- your last" along with the "blue ocean" that follows really makes it seem like this girl may have drowned. And I do remember similar themes in some of your poems. Seems like a couple of The Mansion poems were about a person drowning. Is this how Jessica died? I don't know why, but I just always assumed she died in a car wreck, since that's the way most teenagers die. It seems like a third of my graduating class has already been killed due to a car crash. And Jessica was at least 16 when she died, maybe 17 ... so she would've been driving. I think it was you who was once in a car accident, though, correct? I mean, with poems like "Ambulance," that was you on the stretcher, riding toward the hospital. Or wasn't it? Ah, I don't know.

I think that's the whole beauty of your poetry, though (and forgive me if I've said this before); but I believe a person could sit down and read all of your poetry and then be able to turn around a write a truthful, factual biography about your life. You write from experience. You write from your heart. You write about what's going on in your life. You write about your past. You write about your feelings and thoughts and ideals. Most writers aren't comfortable enough to expose themselves the way you do. That's yet another reason why I should call you Fearless-Juliet.

This poem was amazing, as your poetry always is. The rhythm was fantastic; the imagery even better. I mean, every image in this poem has a blue-tint to it. I love that.

The poem was also very telling, very truthful, very emotional (as your poetry always is); and not to mention very depressing and melancholic ... and, well, blue.

Write on, Juliet.

(LOL. I just suddenly remembered that old Eifiel-65 song called "Blue." Do you remember it? The song was very strange. "I'm blue, dah-bah-dee-do-bah-die ..." LOL. I used to break it down to that song.)
Rebecca Kelsey chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
"writing a poem

on the eve of

symphony"

Those lines really capture me.
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 11/1/2006
different than your usual style... still powerful with beautiful imagery and descriptions... awesome piece
bipedalcooney chapter 1 . 10/29/2006
Stunning imagry and metaphors. I absolutely love the part, "writing a poem on the eve of symphony." Amazing. Definatley keep writing.
like a lover chapter 1 . 10/27/2006
perfect.

"I’m still just a kid tripping/under my woman-limbs, listening,/listening - the blue backlash of/breath - your last./The blue ocean,/blue tears. Blue - if this is/shameless then I am shameful,/but the body that writes this poem/is three years older then you."

i love that. all of it. beautiful and tragic, and wow i've missed your writing. i probably say that every time i drag my ass back to fp - this time its all different and i haven't been here in so long, and i really don't like it, but at least all the poetry on my favourites list stay the same.

"all around me -/blue-brunette broken,

we/little girls/taught to hold our backs/taut, let our limbs/not shift uncomfortable/into our sister-shells."

also amazing.
not sure yet chapter 1 . 10/18/2006
very interesting, and the transition with the one word college was artful, excellent wording and pacing, and quite strong with it's voice, lovely poem