Reviews for That Essay That Everyone Else Writes
Honeycloud of RiverClan chapter 10 . 9/14/2013
[World Building, Part 1: Language, Watch Your Tounge!]
*Tongue

Unless you meant to spell it that way.
CorycianAngel1944 chapter 4 . 2/22/2013
Nice, i like the essays. Yeah, sometimes it's impossible to think out of the box.
autumnchase chapter 9 . 12/29/2012
Hi. I really like your essay but I don't really understand everything you said about the two eyes and how it compares to characters, and the sad part is this is my weak point and I really want to understand what you ment.
Guest chapter 12 . 11/13/2012
Oh my god! Your are my enlightenment! Your essays all 12 chapters are going to help me develop my characters, and plot line so much. You are me hero and you, my dear, are a genius.
Thanks,
Iya
Guest chapter 12 . 8/14/2012
Where's the rest? I am in desperate need of these Essays. You are doing good to all of ink kind. :P please update soon.
Guest chapter 5 . 8/9/2012
I loved your essay,
A Harry Potter Fan chapter 3 . 4/11/2012
As a Harry Potter fan I feel the need to let you know that Harry and Neville were NOT born on the same day- just at the end of the month. Neville is actually July 30th while Harry is the 31st.
PupPupPop chapter 2 . 2/26/2012
Dang, I'm a person who's very annoyed by cliches and Mary-sues. But one object of a story I haven't really though about are villains. After reading this chapter it really got my brain working on ideas of new villains. Thanks for that! :D

Going on to the next chapter! :))
PupPupPop chapter 2 . 2/26/2012

Going on to the next chapter! :))
LunaoftheLight chapter 12 . 5/15/2011
This is a great essay! Though hard to make sense of at times, I appreciate the absence of glaring grammatical errors. FINALLY, someone who knows the meaning of spell check! I'll definitely be using this as a handbook for future story-writing and world-building escapades. I especially enjoyed the last chapter, "My Staring Contest With Jesus." Having found myself in similar situations, often being forced to pretend to be Catholic, it was easy to relate. My inability to find a way to present religion as an atheist without seeming ignorant or condescending has kept me from writing any faith-based stories. Armed with this new knowledge, I will not be afraid! Keep up the good work!
x.The Mysterious Maiden.x chapter 12 . 1/25/2011
Thankyou for writing such a great collection of essays. Sorry for not reviewing each one separately, I was so engrossed that I had to read them all in one sitting.

Most of your essays (I say most because chapter 5 - Mary Sue, Part Three: The Pursuit of Perfection, strayed a bit from the structure of the other essays but worked well for the point you were trying to get across) are really well structured. I like how the sub-headings break up each chapter into manageable chunks that might otherwise be a bit daunting.

There were a few typos in your work but nobody's perfect, right? However at least once in each chapter there was a word missing from a sentence or two and although the meaning was still understandable, it was a bit annoying. Though this may just be a glitch with fictionpress.

It's clear that you've done your research in each of the subjects you wrote about and I enjoyed the scientific explanations. I especially found the explanation of how your eyes give you depth perception really, um... eye-opening? And it was great the way you linked it back into writing.

Just a comment on your 'Language' chapter. I read a set of writing tips by Richard Harland and he wrote about how if you associate a word you've created with others the readers already know it can help give them an idea of what the words you've created mean without having to explain it straight away. Some of the examples he gave were (these are quoted from his set of writing tips):

-"For example, ‘mellis’ could refer to just about anything, while ‘rose’ refers to a familiar plant in the real world. Put the two together, and you have a sense of strangeness that isn’t blank obscurity. We know that a ‘mellis-rose’ doesn’t exist in our world, but we also know the kind of thing it is. Praise be to hyphens!"

-"Putting words side by side can also create hyphen-like effects. We don’t know what kind of thing ‘orinette’ is, but we can make a good guess if we read about a market stall selling ‘orinette and parsley’ ... The trick is to give the reader enough to be going on with. Never a sentence like 'Walking along the street, Jorris passed valiboos, darkas, penories and sassipons.' ... Instead, we need to be told about valiboos hurtling round corners on two wheels, darkas turned up against the rain, glossy-leaved penories and passers-by eating sassipons on sticks. We still don’t know exactly what these things are, but we can wait to find out more."

One last thing I wanted to mention was, I really liked your chapter titles. I found myself looking through the chapter list trying to guess what each chapter would be about and when I reached each chapter was pleasantly surprised to go, 'Oh, so that's what this chapter's about! That was so obvious, I can't believe I didn't get that.'

Overall, great work. I can't wait for more.

Keep Writing!

Maiden
AFC chapter 5 . 12/30/2010
So, my characters aren't like that, and nobody had written me a flame yet. Does that mean my characters are Sue free? Thank goodness!
Sweet Madness chapter 12 . 3/13/2010
This is well done. Your rants are very well crafted and make sense. I cannot wait for you to write and post the next one!
contralto chapter 12 . 10/18/2009
Thank you for a read that was both entertaining and greatly needed! Although I found some essays more useful for my writing than others, you gave some excellent advice that I will certainly use, as well as helping to solve my long-running title crisis. Appreciated the clarity and your straight-forward manner. Most grateful!
Barbie Hall chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
WOW this is interesting, I love it!

-Lain :]