Reviews for A Taste of California Land
empathic life chapter 2 . 2/24/2008
I definitely like the rewritten bits, but they don't exactly flow perfectly into the remnants of the original. That, and there's a missing "them" in the second to last stanza... Mostly the same comments as my other review... Still terrifically fond of the imagery, as most of it was carried over from before.

I like this rewriting idea of yours, but your rewrites always seem less finished than the original. You have to be careful that your old and new styles can flow into each other seamlessly...

Of course, if I had read this version without having read the former, I might not've gotten the same disconnected feeling. It may just be me. .

Yours, Alex
empathic life chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
I love this! I'm a California fan myself... I'd love to live there someday, just for a while... And I did a research paper on Grapes of Wrath a while back that was all about California, so I'm rather fond of the subject, both literally- and symbolic-wise.

Let me start off saying that long poems aren't my favorite, because I don't remember what the beginning said by the time I reach the end, but your imagery and word choice flows so well that I shall forgive you. My favorite part was definitely the idea overall, followed closely by the myriad of imagery, particularly eating birthday bit... And then the contrast between the beginning of the poem's mood and the end is great...

Sigh. I don't know why I haven't reviewed this before... I seriously thought I had reviewed all of your older works. .
Charming Dice chapter 2 . 1/19/2008
Yeah, you’re awesome. In a completely average way, of course. This poem was great. I thought this was about California at first, but I read through it again and caught the meaning.

I don’t review poetry often, because I have no clue what to write. Just know that I really like this.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 2 . 1/18/2008
Alright. Good first. For some reason, I really like the 3rd to last stanza, especially the part between "humanity would fall into peril" and the end of the stanza. It's the most poetic part of this, the most flowing part, I guess. But I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I get what you're saying, but it feels a bit . . . preachy? I don't know if that's the right word. It's very prose-y, as my creative writing professor would say. It's easy to make free verse prosaic (I don't even know if that's a word :p), so that's not entirely your fault. I'll use incomplete sentences or run-on sentences or repetitive phrasing to keep that poetic element when I'm writing so my own poetry isn't too prosaic. And I use a lot of semi-colons & colons & commas. But that's beside the point. It can be very difficult to transition to poetry from prose, I've definitely been there. But you have a good head on your shoulders; with some work, you'll be able to get there. :) Keep writing! :)
WyrdWolf chapter 2 . 1/14/2008
The initial message and feeling of this poem is still very much intact; the only change that I really noticed was the length of the poem-shorter. And the loss of that interesting line, 'the ideas and images flowing out of every pore in our bodies'. *grin*

Wolfie
little boy on her bike chapter 1 . 11/27/2006
i live in California. I wonder how i'm gonna turn out...
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 10/20/2006
Very interesting social and cultural commentary. I like how this focuses on the aftermath of the situation presented. Very honest and socially informed viewpoint. Good work.
Spirit Tigress chapter 1 . 10/18/2006
This is nice! )

Dark Revival

p.s. sorry for short reviews!
General Populus Sloan chapter 1 . 10/11/2006
So this is what a real poem looks like, huh? It'll be a while before I can make them like you, I guess.

Thanks for the spacing tip. My poem looks better now.

Great stuff. Your poetry crap is pretty fun.

S.E. of aka MI
brokendreams21 chapter 1 . 10/10/2006
Oh wow. I bet you've been there. Although this poem sounded lighthearted, happy, and random...it still gives me a feeling of how this actually relates to real life. And then it hits me. That's why it's called 'California Land.' Those silly celebrities. When will they learn...and when will we? (We'll probably learn before the media does...that's for sure.) I just love the fifth stanza because of the whole hyperbole thing going on...sounds like someone is being pessimistic. Not that I blame you. I'd do it too. All in all, you did an awesome job here (again. I'm getting tired of saying this. Would you prefer it if I stopped? Haha.) and you never cease to amaze us all. (Especially me.) Super-duper fantastic job!
WyrdWolf chapter 1 . 10/10/2006
Hee. The line

'the ideas and images flowingout of every pore in our bodies'

scared me in a good way. _

This seemed like a broken dream of sorts. The gum and drugs...the gum-drugs...!_ Quite neat, though. *cough* I mean, this poem was totally ghetto. *beams*

Shane
SirScott chapter 1 . 10/9/2006
Good poem. Someday California Land will fall into the ocean.

Wishing You Good Health And Plenty Of Wealth, SirScott