Reviews for Gloved
antigonelives chapter 1 . 3/16/2007
You are such a great writer, from what I can tell from this poem. The imagery you use is astounding, especially here: "When the day is dark, who could say whose/hands will hide his face/or whose fingers will speak the most."

On my favourites list. Great job! :)
Jecai chapter 1 . 12/30/2006
I like the (stream of life)/apocalypse concept. Sometimes the river holds death too, holds the sum of everything. Then it points to universal congruity, the irrelevance of time, of specific experiences. But yeah, there’s exhaustion and want. Finite lifespan. In the first stanza there are big, concrete things: money, fuel, water, ecology, with some funny wordplay (eg ‘raise a roof’, unless I’m seeing things not intended); big and palpable dystopia.

The next two stanzas shift to personal dysfunction. Literal separation is the speaker’s fantasy (‘that the air is cold and your hands/are gloved’), but their actual detachment must seem an equally solid wall, a fact of nature (‘the day is dark’). Speaking is not talking, touching is not contact. Given what follows, ‘we will rest someday’ is achingly sad: to be driven to comfort (‘rest’ as lovers) you can’t really get, and then die (rest). Failure of communication and dangerous need (‘you will be knocked off balance and you will/fall forward’) also reflect political, environmental strife, and probably intermesh with those in complex ways.

The fourth stanza’s ideal seems like what the speaker would want; it is what I want sometimes. It isn’t practical (‘we have never been there’), but its existence seems less important than its effect on people.

‘the power of color,/of sight and sound and your mouth...’ – I’ve noticed aesthetic impressions can give a lot of useful info in a tight package, about time periods, societies, your own worldview. The end seems to reiterate consumption (‘sucking in. Breathing out’), semantic gap and attempt (‘twisting shapes in the dark’).

The speaker doesn’t seem to take a position, other than being discomforted. Tone might make a difference. For example, is ‘who will ever?’ rhetorical and cynical or self-doubting?

Definitely the best of your stuff, content and phrasing.
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 12/3/2006
I like the whole fingers face thing.. interesting piece.. well done
Cheesy Brussle Sprouts chapter 1 . 10/25/2006
This was simply marvalous! I love your use of imagary...Very well done indeed

Kira
Little Couch chapter 1 . 10/20/2006
I really liked this, I mean...as always I had to read it several times. Plus I kept being distracted by one of those myspace pop-ups like "Out-wash the blonde and win a free laptop" or "Shave her legs and win 10 free ringtones." or...whatever. But yeah, I really liked what you put into this. Especially the part about "You and I." that was my favorite.
B. M. Reed chapter 1 . 10/20/2006
I could read this poem a million times and it would still read new to me. My favorite, favorite part is "When the day is dark, who could say whose/hands will hide his face,/or whose fingers will speak the most." You are really a beautiful poet. You use your words wisely and it's hard to find poets that do that. I think you fully do understand exactly what makes a poem. Sorry if this sounds too Hallmark but that's how I feel :D