Reviews for To Correct and to Serve: On the Art of Reviews
thetabbykitteh chapter 1 . 4/20/2012
Hey I loved this guide. The only thing that bugs me is the exclamation marks in the parenthesis. Then again that may only be me. Other than that it was quite good.

Kitty
BitterMagic chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
"You can either make the corrections and learn from it, or you can go cry about it and review them back with some mean, overly critical comments."

Sadly when I was around thirteen and close to fifteen I did the latter option...I was also very rude to the person who reviewed me back on fanfiction when I first started out as a writer. I highly regret it now but that story he/she reviewed is basically scrap nor will I ever fix it.(Mostly because it makes me cringe so much just reading it)

Anyways, I loved the essay it pointed out alot. And now I shall find something else to read in your works. (Please excuse if I do not read the poetry, I cannot understand most of it and it is not my forte when it comes to writing)

(Also I have learned from most of my mistakes and I accept other people's criticism now and fix my mistakes. So I guess I have grown. (I have yet to put any of my works on here yet though. I'm going to run any stories or poems I make by a few people before I do that.))

(P.S Sorry for rambling)
chlodochar.wolf chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
I AGREE!

Or, the third option for point 2: Apologize profusely while you tell them everything you found wrong in the work, then everything you liked, then apologize again. Lol, which was pretty much what I did recently, and then I felt like I shouldn't have sent it.
MadFearow chapter 1 . 8/1/2009
Pretty good essay. I agree with what you have to say. I'll keep this to heart...
moongazer7 chapter 1 . 9/14/2008
Yes, yes! I so totally agree! That’s why I love fictionpress.

Have you seen the horrible on fanfiction that they call liter? It’s abhorrent!

Actually for number 3 I think both of them combined would be the best. To fix all your errors and then go critique them back.
Enuwey chapter 1 . 12/31/2007
This essay is quite good. I liked it and I am reviewing it because I enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunetly I do not know what else to say. So instead I shall go and check out your other stuff in yet another attempt to aliviate my bordom.
tuieri chapter 1 . 2/10/2007
OMFG YOU so DFUKKED UP I HATE GAY PPL WHO TELL MEH WAHT TO DO! YOURE SO WRONG/! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WRITING ?1one!1!.. GHSDJK THFGHFSDGHFS

teeheehee.

i hope that raised your blood pressure a bit... because i am entirely fucking with you. but not in the literal sense... o_O

i completely agree with basically all of this. Flames that are dumb are fun to respond too, because every once in a while ... it's fun to be petty. But if you can't laugh at other people's faults how the hell can you expect to laugh at your own. and if you can't laugh at your own, you will never get better. ah gods. crazy people in this world i tell you... :D
bipedalcooney chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
So true and well said! Very well written, I enjoyed this a lot. Keep writing.
J'Adore Les Phoques chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
I'm glad that *someone* besides me acknowledges that there IS a difference between fanfiction and original fiction. You pointed out some things to which I have never really paid attention, and things that I will take into consideration.

This is one of those "must read" stories! Yay!
misterfuzzums EXTREME chapter 1 . 11/9/2006
Ok... this was well-written and all that jazz. I just have some points of contention with it...

Basically, not a whole lot of people care when you point out their grammatical errors in your reviews. To some, it's even seen as childish- they think that you're just trying to make yourself appear better than they are, or worse: some even assume that you aren't competent enough to find anything that is wrong with the composition of the story, and that you're trying to make up for it by nitpicking on the mechanics.

However, the spelling/grammar problem that you pointed out does resound with me. I see stories all the time that make me cringe because of their horrendous misuse of grammar. This is an amateur writing site. Therefore, it makes sense to say that the people who write here are amateurs. They come here to improve their writing and to establish "fan bases" to motivate themselves to write more frequently. These people have no interest in sounding eloquent or being grammatically correct. I can list many individuals who have tried to "rock the boat" and to "purge" the site of these people, but I can summarize their efforts in these words: waste of time. People just don't care.

Okay, now I'm just ranting pointlessly... sorry.
M.R.Sanner chapter 1 . 11/8/2006
Man I wish there was a way we can get everybody on FP to read this !

This essay is so true ! We all ( well not all ) post on FP because we wish to recieve critism on our stories . Some people just can't take critism . I know for one my story is full of grammar and spelling errors , but thats ok it's only a rough draft and everyone else knows this and helps me along by pointing out what needs to be changed . But then there ar those people who flame just because they can .

You should do another version of this later . Maybe like on , people who only want to recieve reviews and enver give them . Uck those stingy authors get on my nerves .

Write on.

Confuzzld Me
Kaggr chapter 1 . 11/8/2006
Hehehe. Kind of funny to read. I like the part about the girl ranting and raving. A lot of people at my school ask me to proofread their stories, but then when I hand them back and tell them what's wrong with them, they freak out. It's kind of like, "Why did you give it to me if you didn't want your damn feedback you asked me for?"

Mwahhahaa. Good job!

P.S. I'M IN MEXICO! And today I thankfully have an American keyboard. (Couldn't find the sign for the life of me on a spanish keyboard yesterday.)