Reviews for The Little Boy in the Movie Theater
viennacantabile chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
oh dear lord, this is beautiful. 'strings of secrets,' childhood, 'cried for two minutes over nothing at all.' this poem is deeply profound, and really, all i have to say is just-wow.
she smolders chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
It doesn't sound like "nothing at all" to me. Last Sunday at Mass, I watched a little girl hug her younger brother in front of me and give him a kiss on the cheek - it made me hope that I had the same compassion at that age. Now I still wish that I didn't feel like I had to grow up so fast.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/27/2006
gorgeous poem. beautifully written. it's experiences like these ... when i was in church a few weeks ago, i sat behind a beautiful little girl about 18 months old. i couldn't stop smiling at her. she was so sweet. she turned around and hugged the boy next to her, and told me, "this is my brother." i smiled. she was the picture of innocence. towards the end, she turned around again and started talking to me. i couldn't understand all that she was saying, but i started smiling and she smiled back. she started to lean over into where i was sitting, and her mom apologized but i said it was fine. she was beautiful. and my heart shattered when she turned to her mom, smiled and said, "i like her." and it broke me. this poem reminded me of that experience that i couldn't get into words. i'm sorry for rambling on, but this just touched me so much because i felt it. this is gorgeous. you have amazing talent.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
Oh, this is just gorgeous. I'm so happy you're back and writing again! I remember the day I got this just being like, omg, because I was so happy to see it. Yet it took me this long to actually get around to reading it. Yikes. Anyway, yes, your descriptions and metaphors are out of this world. All of them - I can't even pick one out - are just phenomenal. Obviously this is going on my favorites list, because it's too honest and beautiful not to. Keep writing! :)
Faithless Juliet chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
I love the complex simplicity that you present in this; almost like a movie itself in terms of the amount of detail that you capture in this beautifully worded adventure.

When I think about children, I always think of this unimaginable wisdom (I think kids, on so many levels, are smarter then the rest of us, they aren't cluttered with age, they don't think in the black and white terms that adults take on, they're nothing but gray matter.)

I actually remember being a kid and wishing and hoping that I could grow up faster, I always felt out of place as a child. But I had no idea what being a teenager and then an adult would feel like (I just wanted to feel it,) now, I would love to be a kid again and see the world the way that I did back then. It's true when they say that when you were a kid the world was safer.

I loved this kids tragic story with his parents not talking (I think now a days that a universal story) but I love how he still isn't affected by it. When you grow up you take the shape of your parents no matter what or who they are, but when you’re a kid you still have the luxury of being your own true self. I also loved your reaction to it. It seems like nothing at all, but really it's everything. Lovely piece, refreshing in its honesty. It's more then poetry, or a story told through verse, it's a little bit of everyone all wrapped up to remember and enjoy.

Much love,

Juliet.
aslans-sword chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
Interesting. Wasn't expecting that ending. But it was very well written and very captivating. Good job. The ending could be more poetic, by the way. BUT excellent work, dude.
cf chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
Poignant. Very, very poignant. Very good, nicely done.
drippingdreams chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
Killer ending. I wasn't expecting that. I liked this piece a lot more than I thought I would once I got into it. Good job for surprising me (but you always do that, so why should I be surprised?).