Reviews for PostModernism and You!
asklefjaeihog chapter 1 . 2/23/2008
Review Marathon! (link is in my profile).

I know this is more than a year old, but I still had to comment on it. Oh, my goodness. So much WORD, to this! I was under the misguided notion that something was wrong with *me*, and I had no taste when I was struggling through postmodern literature. Random crap thrown at you from seemingly nowhere is not cool. I mean, I don't like literature where everything is spelled out for you, but I can't stand most postmodern stuff where the meaning is hidden so deeply, and what is said is *just* as important as what is not said, if not more so.

Although, I really do like Dan Dellilo's "White Noise." That's my only exception.

You're summary cuts off in the middle of a sentence, if you're looking to fix it up .

-Rachel
Underachieving Overachiever chapter 1 . 1/21/2008
heh heh, this reminded me of one of those paintings that sell for a billion dollars and everyone thinks it's some deep, thought-out masterpiece, but it's actually accidental paint spills, or something. good job, i liked the intro. at first i really thought my brain WAS melting down. (
HollyRushdy chapter 1 . 12/1/2007
Brilliant.
Carrollesque chapter 1 . 11/27/2006
It's a rare thing that I find something on this site that makes me physically laugh out loud.

"I’ve dutifully sat through hours of productions wondering if that lemonade I’d drunk earlier had actually been absinthe" Made me laugh out loud.

Simply put, this is a brilliantly executed, witty essay. Well done. I love your definition of Alienation, too. "because they suck."

Keep it up.
Typewriter King chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
"When anti-establishment material is produced by the establishment, it tends to be crap."

-Mr. Flames

Curse you, Flames, you're just jealous of Greenday's beefcakey genius!

This was heroic indeed. Much like 'The New Criterion's' stated purpose.
Alfsigesey chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
I laughed till I cried, and could read no more, through my very real (as opposed to metaphorical) tears. Then I got my mom and made her read it, and then we both laughed till we cried. Beautiful, brilliant, and so very true…

Lurve~Ailsa
MrFlames chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
Post-modernism, when done well, is incredibly powerful.

Post-modernism, when done badly, is painful beyond words.

It is possible that the form itself is not flawed, but rather your department lacks the finesse necessary to pull it off. I for one wouldn't recommend an amateur production of post-modern material. My personal opinion is: Stick with the Shakespeare so long as you're below the college level, working on the school-level.

Post-modernism would (can only) work if produced by students independently. By attempting to co-opt it, your department obviously doesn't understand that post-modern material is inherently anti-establishment. When anti-establishment material is produced by the establishment, it tends to be crap.
No Trust chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
Heroic.
the coffee fiend chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
Hahahaha, good shit! Your school sounds utterly infuriating, and rather pretentious!

I once had to do an arty farty postmodern interpretation of The Tempest, and it was horrid. I hated it.

Postmodernism is a rather dodgy concept if you ask me. The whole point is that we are IN postmodernism, but I think it's rather suspicious to try to analyse the mindset of the world while you're actually in that period. And besides, nowdays postmodernism is mostly used for the justification for crappy works of "art" (as you pointed out! lol) and doing whatever the hell you want "hey man, it's my interpretation!"

Anyway, well done, I love your work!

the coffee fiend
Ghost in the Machine chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
Having been the victim of a post-modernist director before, I find myself in agreement with your thesis. It also reminds me of a friend that said I couldn't have an opinion on whether I liked a particular painting because I hadn't had his training in esthetics.

Overall, a very entertaining pricking of a very pretentious balloon.
EmptynessFilled chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
AWESOME!

Well said, extremely hilarious, and quite true to boot.
bronte-girl92 chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
Yet another well-written take on life. I congradulate you and look forward to more. There is only so much one can take of a cavas painted one colour, parading as a piece of .
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
Oh, this is CLASSIC. You are hilarious, and seriously, post-modernism...I can't claim to be a scholar of these things, but if people can't understand your play or whatever, chances are that it's not just "deep" but rather a piece of crap, you are so right. More essays need to be written in this style - it was very entertaining and I wasn't looking into it like I had to analyze what your real point was. Straightforward writing - that's what people need to understand is the good stuff. Bravo for a classic piece of writing. Keep writing! :)