Reviews for Islam vs Christianity
twilight0452 chapter 1 . 6/16/2009
they are not intertwined because all religion is a cult. and no i am not atheist. i believe in God. and i have a "religion" per se. but my value is in my relationship with God. those christian fanatics werent really christians, they were fake christians. but saying that i cant argue with the Islam fanatic arguement because i have to be fair. and nothing is required in having a personal relationship with God besides giving your life to him. the other is done on your own will because you want to please God.

you make very strong points and its hard to argue with you (though i try). good job.
FunkyFlower chapter 1 . 3/5/2007
i agree with this essay on the whole,but i do agree with the coffee fiend that you could have covered several other points. however, i am happy that you wrote this since it at least talks about islam in a neutral light,instead of as a religion of 'sword'. thank you for writing this, and you should definitely be proud of yourself! i certainly am proud of u ;)

take care,

mez
the coffee fiend chapter 1 . 11/16/2006
A small point of historical contention: early Islam was not an "expansion by the sword" kind of movement. It spread, yes, throughout the tribes in the Middle East, but was mostly spread by traders whom some might say had vested interest in maintaining that Mecca was a holy place (Mecca was a major trading city). They didn't conquor and convert in the beginning, and there was a tax placed upon Christians and Jews (tolerated as People of the Book- of a similar religious origin) for practicing their religion in a Muslim country, and economically it was better to keep it that way. It didn't really become that militant until the Sunni/Shia split after the death of Mohammed, where there was a bit of infighting, but not aggression towards the non-Muslims.

However, the Crusades did change all that. Christians and Jews were no longer tolerated, because the Christians basically moved into the Holy Land and robbed them, and then pushed them out of government.

However, it is always nice to read an essay about Islam that isn't super condemning. It's (IMHO) largely misinterpreted in the Western world and seen, as you say, as an "evil" religion.

Another point you could have mentioned was that Muslims acknowledge Jesus as a prophet, but not as the Messiah. Mohammed was the last prophet, and the greatest. But they do follow the teachings of Christ.

Anyway, good work! I enjoyed this essay. I especially liked how you covered the pillars of Islam, I think they're very important to the understanding of the Muslim faith.

the coffee fiend
Formerly chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
You really have to get straight the difference between "history books" and "religious texts."
Icy Mike Molson chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
It's the irony of the Holy Lands. Jew, Christian, or Muslim, we're all killing each other for the same God.