Reviews for Pretty
contrast and friction chapter 1 . 12/23/2006
This is so beautiful. The idea of a relationship gone wrong. It starts off so innocently.. so simply.. and it has a singsong nursery rhyme quality to it "pretty girl kisses the face of pretty boy".. but then the questions begin and the poem quickly becomes tainted with something so much darker. I love how you use pretty girl and pretty boy later on in the poem, except this time she is chewing the skin of pretty boy. My god, that image sent shivers down my spine. It is so brutal and violent and horrific, but an absolutely fantastic image to use.

You have an amazing grasp of words and you weave them (seemingly) effortlessly to create such heartstopping images. This is such a .. sad poem. The questions and the doubts and the broken relationship. Pretty is such an innocent word, but somehow, you've managed to taint it with something less vulnerable, something more tragic.. so that every time the word is used again in this poem, it hurts to read.

This is such a fantastic poem. It's definitely going on my fave stories list.
Faye Coon chapter 1 . 12/21/2006
What a posionouse poet... I have a question though... how do you do it? Your writing is amazing and quite beautiful. Weakly wonderful - strong woman -fck you up just cus - but youy get so many readers and admirers! Would you wanna be a staff in my c2? that would be prettier yet!

-Faye Coon
Chandra-Moon chapter 1 . 12/20/2006
This doesn't sound like he's calling her pretty just to get in her pants...it feels more like the girl's own self doubt, and disbelief, and any boy that calls her pretty. I can relate to that. Pretty is considered a vague and simple word, but I like it. It makes me think big eyed, innocent girls in dresses with bright skin and smiles. People use the word "pretty" a lot when it doesn't apply, but I only use it on people or things I actually find pretty.

I don't even remember what I started saying. Obviously, this is good. "Am I wrong, that when you hold my face in those same hands they form the shape of crooked prayers?" I liked that, even if I didn't know what it meant. Holding someones face makes almost the reverse hand shape of when you pray...could go back to the girl's self doubt, about how pretty she is.

And now for my pun: This was pretty good.
fairytale failure chapter 1 . 12/19/2006
X.X I am not worthy...

But seriously. There's nothing I could possibly to say to improve this, nor I think could anyone, and that's a fact.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 12/19/2006
I love what you've done with sound in this one - using the "p" words all throughout this works so well. It's strange, too, because when I think of P words, I don't think of words that are attractive. Yet that's what this poem is about. Interesting. (That was a little bit of insight into my strange character, by the way.) I think my favorite bit of this was "when you hold my face in those same hands they form the shape of crooked prayer." That is just a gorgeous image, and anyone who can incorporate religion into a poem like this...*thumbs up*. Nice work. Keep writing! :)
Dale Christopher chapter 1 . 12/19/2006
I thought I reviewed this? Alas, here I go again...

The beginning of this poem (stanza?) was almost innocent. It gives the reader an image that takes shape in a bubbly kind of way, sickly sweet and pretty. The picture in my mind had a lot of white, pink and baby blue in it.

'You say I’m pretty but do you mean it?' - This is where the poem begins its rapid spiral towards something darker. The question is, again, almost innocent.

From here the poems really spins into a dark world of insecurity that really draws the reader in. I found myself reading this very quickly (so much so that i had to read it three times to make sure I didn't miss anything).

'pretty silence,

pretty uncertainty' - This seemed striking to me. Coupled with the final line, it made for a sad yet fitting ending to this poem. Impressive, as always, and a treat to read. Your words have a powerful effect.

Peace, Daze
LightfootLee chapter 1 . 12/10/2006
nicely done, especially the line "Your love plagarizes me. Copies me.
i'll ask the stars above chapter 1 . 12/7/2006
wow. it's just this scathing...pretty...beautiful poem.
Calliope Rae Marksbury chapter 1 . 12/7/2006
I love this poem. These lines were my favorite:

am I wrong, that when you hold

my face in those same hands they form

the shape of crooked prayer?

Beautiful, congratulations.
Elizabeth Bilberry chapter 1 . 12/7/2006
I've had many who have called me pretty before, but it seems like it is only because they don't really know and have ntohing better to say. Once again, you have wrote something inspiring and bittersweet.

EB
dress her up in fairytales chapter 1 . 12/7/2006
the summary dragged me in. "a plague of pretty" how gorgeous is that? i like how it jumps to third person and to first person, back and forth, it really adds a neat effect.
miss-hyperactive chapter 1 . 12/7/2006
i really like it.. it's beautiful.
Cardboard Tube Knight chapter 1 . 12/6/2006
I really liked this piece, I just love your style and the way you write, keep up the good work.
hellbentheretic chapter 1 . 12/6/2006
This really is a leap forward in your style! A plague of pretty indeed. I like the rambling quality of words especially in the first half- 'like the sweet nothings/ bubbling from tongues' & 'I was paused on the frame/ of your lips, stretching myself, blurring/ myself where the lines freeze unclear/ and you no longer hear me.'

These are not just rambling words, of course, they also draw a picture of a relationship gone astray. Your format that you put these lines into is most intriging b/c it breaks the stanzas and 'sub-stanzas' up very effectively. Pretty can be interpreted in many ways, and this way is almost schizophrenic! Going back and forth between the literal and metaphorical here creates a whirlwind of ideas that swept this reader up and didn't put him down in the same place! 'Your love plagarizes. Copies me/ into prickly sentences.' Hands forming 'the shape of crooked prayer' as he lays them upon your face. Holy shit this piece is great!

Simply title, but with oh-so-not simple implications in its meaning.

love it,

hellbentheretic

ps- this is goin' on my favorite stories list.
Pimpled Boy chapter 1 . 12/6/2006
What can I say? This poem is as beautiful as its title.
32 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »